New iPad Pro ad hammers home Apple's ongoing laptop replacement theme

Posted:
in iPad
Apple on Monday released a new ad on YouTube, "5 Reasons iPad Pro can be your next computer," once again trying to sell people on the idea that the tablet can replace a laptop workflow.

2018 iPad Pro

The video argues that the Pro is "more powerful than most computers," and extremely versatile, being a "scanner, camera, editing suite, notepad, cinema, music studio, book, and a computer." Other bulletpoints include available LTE support, a simple interface, and the creative possibilities of the second-generation Apple Pencil.

The ad's language is notably different from earlier iPad marketing, which tried to distance iPads from regular computers while competing with them at the same time. At one point the company referred to iPads as ushering in a "post-PC" era, and in November 2017 the company aired its infamous "What's a computer?" ad, often lampooned for being out of touch with reality.

The new ad would seem to be a reversal, embracing the "computer" label in order to be seen as serious hardware. That approach is also reflected to an extent in the new Pro's design, since it now uses USB-C instead of Lightning, opening up compatible accessories. Not all USB-C accessories will work though, and iOS has yet to gain an open filesystem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    That is just embarrassing.too soon. And I say this as someone who uses an iPad Pro for mobile work purposes for hours each day.   Apple needs to supersede the software limitations of iOS before it can try this line on with any credibility.

Mr Cook should just tap his heels together three times and repeat:

”I don’t have Steve’s Reality Distortion Field”

Edit: I can can see the future myriad parody versions already.
    edit2: to replace computers the tag line should be “better than a computer”. But only once it is true. We aren’t there yet.
    edited November 2018 MplsPmike54baconstangbloggerblognetroxfreethinkingairnerdaknabielijahg
  • Reply 2 of 73
    Close... but not before there is a core comprehensive, roubust file/folder management system with a consitant UI at the heart of ios.. accessible from every app for all types of files. Lack of this is a massive handicap... plus the restricted usb-c io
    MplsPbaconstangairnerd
  • Reply 3 of 73
    So many people complain that the iPad Pro can't replace their computer. Well, it's true that the iPad Pro can't REPLACE their computer, but remember this. In 1984, the 128K Macintosh couldn't replace my IBM Selectric typewriter. For instance, where do you put the piece of paper? What? You have to buy something extra to print something out? Well, that's not a replacement! Therefore, the Macintosh must have been garbage! It's now 2018, and I haven't used an IBM Selectric in 31 years. One of these days, I will no longer use a Macintosh. This isn't that day, but it's coming sooner than you expect. And some of the reasons are explained in this commercial.
    racerhomie3macplusplusStrangeDaysSoliMisterKitradarthekatchiagilly33mejsricairnerd
  • Reply 4 of 73
    I was around in 1984 Andre. The usability of the Mac compared with IBM PCs was so unbelievablely wonderful, any other deficincies, minor as they were, were irrelevant. Because Daleks.

The ipad doesn’t yet offer enough of a marriage between functionality and paradigm shift to justify Apple’s claims.  But fear not, the problem is software limitations, which can be fixed.

edit: a more apt comparison at this point of iPad development is the Newton. A great device destroyed by advertising that over promised, prompting derisive parodies and leading ultimately to the Newton’s untimely demise.
    edited November 2018 larrya80s_Apple_GuyairnerdGeorgeBMacelijahg
  • Reply 5 of 73
    entropys said:
    That is just embarrassing.too soon. And I say this as someone who uses an iPad Pro for mobile work purposes for hours each day.   Apple needs to supersede the software limitations of iOS before it can try this line on with any credibility.

edit2: to replace computers the tag line should be “better than a computer”. But only once it is true. We aren’t there yet.
    Reality distortion field does not give you 1.4 Billion users. If you don’t like the iPad as a Mac replacement,stick with a Mac.Or go buy a futuristic & super capable Chromebook.
    macplusplusRayz2016StrangeDayschiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 73
    iOS DOES have an open file system. Every app’s every file is open to every other app. Simply its organization is different. It just doesn’t have the desktop metaphor, that’s all. For those who want to access to kexts, drivers, daemons and alike, the point is for what? Get a conventional computer for deep UNIX work, on that sort of computer called iPad, the operating system does not permit to access its guts, take it or leave it...

If the point is to easily assemble files in folders per project or task basis, then there is the Files app and iCloud. One no longer needs to keep Pages documents in the Pages app’s directory, these days have long gone. Yet iOS does not prevent anyone from using third party file storage and sharing systems, such as Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive. There’s no sharing in Cloud Drive but alternatively Apple provides full collaboration in its productivity apps, which is multiple times better than that primitive form of collaboration called file sharing.
    edited November 2018 StrangeDaysradarthekatracerhomie3gilly33redgeminipaGeorgeBMacbrucemcelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 73
    entropys said:

Reality distortion field does not give you 1.4 Billion users. If you don’t like the iPad as a Mac replacement,stick with a Mac.Or go buy a futuristic & super capable Chromebook.
    Hmm, it seems Mr Cook has at least some kind of an attenuated RDF.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So many people complain that the iPad Pro can't replace their computer. 
    Nope. It’s so many people posting on anonymous tech blogs that the iPad Pro can’t replace their computer. Apple deals with the real world and real markets. Desktop and laptop traditionalists who rant on tech blogs are not the real world nor are they the real market. In the real world and real markets the iPad continues to make inroads in the Enterprise, education, home use. The iPad naysayers are the crowd that, when Apple changes a single feature or option, blows a gasket because their “workflow” has been disturbed, making their whole installation “useless”. 
    macplusplusStrangeDaysredgeminipabrucemcelijahgwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 73
    entropys said:
    entropys said:

Hmm, it seems Mr Cook has at least some kind of an attenuated RDF.
    At the moment it seems to only distort his own reality. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 10 of 73
    entropys said:
    I was around in 1984 Andre. The usability of the Mac compared with IBM PCs was so unbelievablely wonderful, any other deficincies, minor as they were, were irrelevant. Because Daleks.

The ipad doesn’t yet offer enough of a marriage between functionality and paradigm shift to justify Apple’s claims.  Bu fear not, the problem is software limitations, which can be fixed.
    With all due respect for people’s natural rights to request improvements from Apple, I believe that the shortcomings of iPad are over-emphasized. None of these are dealbreakers.

The usability iOS is so unbelievably wonderful that Steve Jobs made the iPhone a reality, just remembering that will resume all that reality distorsion field saga.

Apple has no claims to be justified further, hundreds of millions of sales prove that. Attacking the platform just on the basis of a marketing narration is futile, because the products are there, sales reports are there and there is not even a competition in the iPad case after eight years.
    edited November 2018 StrangeDaysredgeminipaelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Optional mouse support for apps and developers who need them and a better file system, and its half way there.
    At Apple the hardware team is running circles around the software team. 
    mike54irelandGeorgeBMacelijahg
  • Reply 12 of 73
    Why are people so offended by iPad and the term computer? It’s so bizarre to me how much iPad upsets some people. But it’s not like Apple has put a gun to your head and said you can only use iPad. If it doesn’t work for you use something else.
    dewmemacplusplusStrangeDayscanukstormracerhomie3redgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Close... but not before there is a core comprehensive, roubust file/folder management system with a consitant UI at the heart of ios.. accessible from every app for all types of files. Lack of this is a massive handicap... plus the restricted usb-c io

The kids today do stuff with pictures,music and words. They don’t spend their time doing file admin. 
    StrangeDaysMisterKittmayracerhomie3macplusplusmejsriclkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 73
    Apple wants you to “tag” related files rather than chuck them in a user created folder with related Files. No extra effort or planning at all. /sarc
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Can the iPad replace my work computer? No, because I use bespoke software that only runs on windows. Could the iPad replace my home computer? Easily, it does everything I need to do at home. 
    dewmeredgeminipabanchowatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 73
    entropys said:
    Apple wants you to “tag” related files rather than chuck them in a user created folder with related Files. No extra effort or planning at all. /sarc
    You don’t need the sarcasm tag, you’re already a joke with that. You can create as many folders as you want on iCloud Drive in Files app. If you use another file management app you can create folders in that too, and use them in Files app.
    fastasleepbanchowatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 73
    So many people complain that the iPad Pro can't replace their computer. Well, it's true that the iPad Pro can't REPLACE their computer, but remember this. In 1984, the 128K Macintosh couldn't replace my IBM Selectric typewriter. For instance, where do you put the piece of paper? What? You have to buy something extra to print something out? Well, that's not a replacement! Therefore, the Macintosh must have been garbage! It's now 2018, and I haven't used an IBM Selectric in 31 years. One of these days, I will no longer use a Macintosh. This isn't that day, but it's coming sooner than you expect. And some of the reasons are explained in this commercial.
    Exactly. And the practical functionality of today's iPad murders the 1984 Macintosh -- if back then they saw Pages or iMovie or Pixelmator they'd explode. Those tasks were high-tech "computing" back then (well, digital video editing wasn't even a thing yet), but today's haters pretend "It's just for consumption, eeeeehhhh...!"

edited November 2018 macplusplusradarthekattmaylkruppmejsricredgeminipaelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 73

entropys said:

Then you should remember how the command-line-interfacers poopoo'd the Macintosh as a GUI "toy". Just as the mainframers said of the PC. The techno-priest class always poopoos the next set of tools.
    chiatmaylkruppredgeminipabanchowatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Yep! The iPad may never replace my "PC laptop," but it's clear that it has done so for a huge number of Windows and Mac users, as well as people that were reluctant to use either but love their experience with the iPad. And then there's the other end of the spectrum where occupations rely on the iPad where printed paper or much worse and more limited HW was used before the iPad came along. Speaking of IBM, they're a major supporter of the iPad because of Apple's amazing engineering.
    redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 73
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    lkrupp said:
    So many people complain that the iPad Pro can't replace their computer. 
    Nope. It’s so many people posting on anonymous tech blogs that the iPad Pro can’t replace their computer. Apple deals with the real world and real markets.  The iPad naysayers are the crowd that, when Apple changes a single feature or option, blows a gasket because their “workflow” has been disturbed, making their whole installation “useless”. 
    Then you must have lost your way here, as a happy member of Tim’s alliance of Facebook Pro’s with iPads that repeat his fake idea until they believe it themselves
    edited November 2018 elijahg