Ars Technica Writer: The Facts Elude Him

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The so called writer at the website, Hannibal, posted the following this morning. I eMailed him that Apple issued press releases (sent him the URL's) but he has so far not corrected his misinformation. Here's what he wrote:

[quote]Apple has just updated their PowerMac line with a few of the revisions that many expected at MWSF: Firewire 800, Bluetooth support and a slight increase in CPU speeds (1.42 GHz is now the top end). There was no press release and no fanfare with this update, which is appropriate because it's not really that spectacular. The FSB still clocks in at a pitiful 167MHz SDR, and of course the dual-processor machines in the line still use the same old shared-bus topology. (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record on these last two points, but I won't stop griping about them until they're fixed.)

Nonetheless, there are a few interesting things about this update that are worth noting. First, the bottom of the line machine has been mysteriously crippled by being reduced to a single, 1 GHz processor. The second point of note is the big cut in prices for both the towers and the LCD monitors. For instance, the "Fast" tower (dual 1.25 GHz) is now $2,000, while the "Fastest" (dual 1.42 GHz) is $2,700. Also, the 20-inch Cinema display has gone down to $1,300, while the 17-inch model is now at $700. The very slight increase in performance, the addition of two good connectivity options, and the steep price cuts combine to make the PowerMac line's price/performance ratio a little less embarrassing than it has been previously. <hr></blockquote>

He's so proud of his work that he doesn't even use a real name.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Except for the bit about there not being a PR, what else did he get wrong?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    What's wrong, Brad? Hannibal has always been full of himself. He loves to make jabs at Apple in all related news updates. It's nothing new...it's his shtick.

I wouldn't call Apple's situation embarassing, especially since AMD is also in a similar situation. Apparently AMD's changing their XP ratings with Barton so that 2083 MHz = 2800+. Currently the 2800+ is a 2250 MHz part.

He's already ranted on and on and on about MPX's shortcomings. I don't really see the point to his rambling other than to reveal his bias against Apple.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 15
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Except for the bit about there not being a PR, what else did he get wrong?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The bit about the 20" display price dropping to $1300. Hard to drop prices on an item that's new to the lineup...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    The whole premise of his article was Apple didn't announce the product via a PR release because they were embarrassed. If you take that "hook" away by getting the facts right on such a simple thing, then he would have had to rewrite the article. The funny thing is that as he goes on he backtracks a bit. Awful writer who needs to find another vocation.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Eugene, you are sooooo cruising for a ban over there.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Are you kidding? Tarring Hannibal as some kind of anti-Mac guy is ridiculous. You can quibble with some of his technical proclaimations, but...c'mon.

Apple knows their PowerMac situation is embarassing. We know it's embarassing. They know it's embarassing. It is embarassing.

The PR thing is incorrect, but trivial.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I wouldn't call Apple's situation embarassing, especially since AMD is also in a similar situation. Apparently AMD's changing their XP ratings with Barton so that 2083 MHz = 2800+. Currently the 2800+ is a 2250 MHz part.

</strong><hr></blockquote>The validity of the change depends on the benchmark you measure the bartons by. Apps that benefit from the extra cache see performance improvement. Obviously those that fit in 256K fine are slower.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I used to care about this stuff but now ... WTF cares of some guy from Ars dis's the new PowerMacs?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Hobbes:

<strong>

Apple knows their PowerMac situation is embarassing. We know it's embarassing. They know it's embarassing. It is embarassing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If MHz is all you care about, maybe it is embarrassing. I can tell you there are a few embarrassing things about the PC I'm writing this reply on right now. And I'm actually amazed Motorola can eke out 1416.67 MHz out of a .18 micron 7-stage pipeline CPU.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 15
    [quote]I wouldn't call Apple's situation embarassing, especially since AMD is also in a similar situation. Apparently AMD's changing their XP ratings with Barton so that 2083 MHz = 2800+. Currently the 2800+ is a 2250 MHz part.

<hr></blockquote>

Yet AMD's stuff remains more or less competitive with the P4, performance wise. Except in selective tasks, that can't be said of the G4.

[quote]He's already ranted on and on and on about MPX's shortcomings. I don't really see the point to his rambling other than to reveal his bias against Apple.

<hr></blockquote>

what does that say about the point of your rambling?

[quote]If MHz is all you care about, maybe it is embarrassing.<hr></blockquote>

if by 'MHZ' you mean general processing power, then it is indeed embarassing.

[quote]And I'm actually amazed Motorola can eke out 1416.67 MHz out of a .18 micron 7-stage pipeline CPU.<hr></blockquote>

I'm not.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Surprise.

Who else is not impressed Motorola has hit 1.4+ GHz with a 7-stage pipe and a .18µ process?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Actually for Motorola to get the G4 to 1.4 GHz on a 180 nm process is impressive. Shame they don't seem to be able to manufacture anything using a 130 nm process though.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Surprise.

Who else is not impressed Motorola has hit 1.4+ GHz with a 7-stage pipe and a .18µ process?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm very impressed of what they've managed, but that doesn't make the current state of affairs any less embarassing. And frankly, a 167mhz MPX bus is especially embarassing; we're crippling what performance is possible. Not that I'd vote for more R&D on the 74xx line, the sooner it's behind us the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm just worred that once we make the transition to the 970 the iMac is still going to be running a G4 on the current bus design. When considered in this light a new bus design could provide longterm gains, giving new legs to the aging G4, though I'd rather Apple not try and strap new legs on a dead horse.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    On the chip tech front, we're still paying for that year at 500 Mhz. I suppose Hannibal realizes this, maybe not. Otherwise, his posts never go beyond what can be found in an intro to CompArch text. He very much typifies the Ars stereotype: A consumer with a little bit of knowledge, a lot of puerile biases, and a lot of hot air. At Ars I believe they have a word for this trait: "prosumer."

Touching futher on Moto, aside from their inability to produce at 130nm, they are at the head of the class when it comes to fabrication techniques. They seem to be handling copper and SOI better than Intel, and as far as I can tell by the 970 specs, they're beating IBM on this front as well. Remember that the P3 didn't scale past 1Ghz until 130nm, and it had a 10 stage pipe.

[quote]

I'm just worred that once we make the transition to the 970 the iMac is still going to be running a G4 on the current bus design. When considered in this light a new bus design could provide longterm gains, giving new legs to the aging G4, though I'd rather Apple not try and strap new legs on a dead horse.

<hr></blockquote>

Intel has been strapping new legs to a dead horse for over 10 years.

[ 02-02-2003: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by serrano:

<strong>

And frankly, a 167mhz MPX bus is especially embarassing; we're crippling what performance is possible. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That really isn't true for most of Motorola's markets. There's a good reason the G4 was given the embedded processor of the year.