Upgrading My Macbook Pro for Music Production

Posted:
in General Discussion

I need advice purchasing a new Apple machine, I also have questions concerning the programs installed on my current machine.

My current computer is a Mid 2014 13" Macbook Pro (8GB RAM, 2.6GHz dual core i5, 128 GB SSD) 

My primary everyday use:

• Heavy internet surfing for research purposes (many open google chrome tabs) no problems on current machine
  • Music production, mixing, recording, on Logic Pro X. Performance slows down a bit after adding many plugins, which is required at times

Future uses:

• Photo Editing
  • Light Video Work

What im looking to get out of a new computer is:

• Improved workflow (Touchbar!)
  • Reliable performance
  • Future proof machine for at least 4 or 5 years
So Im thinking about getting the 2018 15" Macbook Pro with i7 quad core, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD with Touchbar.
Would you recommend something different? Also Ive heard you need to turn off turbo boost or the fans will get loud and the laptop will get hot, is this true?

When getting a new Apple computer how do you transfer Apple Store apps like Logic Pro X?
What about third party apps like Akai MPC Studio?
And third party plug-ins, some of which required me to run licensing/registration programs to activate?

Thanks for taking the time..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,569member
    I bought a 15" back in late 2016 for the quad-core, coming from an early 2011 13" dual-core, for Logic and Mainstage work. 

As much as I love the big display and appreciate the lightness and lack of bulk on the 15", the quad-core is well enough for my purposes, and your choice is exactly the machine I would buy if I were in the market today, except with 1 TB internal storage. 

Transferring everything from the old machine to the new is dead-simple: Make new Time Machine backup of the old machine, hook up the new one when prompted, let 'er run. 
    Everything will be transferred. 

Most plug-ins will need to be de-/re-authorised. 

Note that the new machines come with macOS Mojave, with NO way to downgrade. So you need to be certain that your plug-ins and drivers are compatible with the new OS. 

I keep a compatibility list of plug-ins and software and drivers that I duplicate for every major system upgrade, with yes/no/unknown and a field for support links and the like to look up for compatibility updates. Make sure you check the iLok software, as well. 

A good starter list ist here: 
    DarkLotus009