Low end macs and Appleinsider

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know we spend a lot of time speculating about what the latest greatest Macs are going to be. However I wondered about the not so latest and greatest.

What is the slowest and oldest Mac you use to regularly read Appleinsider?

My Umax c600@240 finally started acting weird so it was put to pasture. So now the slowest computer I use is a PowerMac 6500/250.(603e)

I own slower Macs, I just don't use them on the internet because it is almost insufferable with the 6500.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have read and posted to AI with my LC III+. a 33 MHz 68030. It was slow, yes, and the screen only did 512x384, but I pulled it off. The only problem is that my main browser, Netscape 2 (which is zooper fast BTW) doesn't work with UBB, so I have to use either Netscape 3 (super slow) or iCab (super slow) to post. I've also read AI using WannaBe, a text only browser.

My goal is to surf here with a Plus. I adore the Plus, it's probably my favorite Mac other than my lovely iBook. I don't have a Plus but I want one... anyone here have an extra lying around?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Luca, I have 3 Pluses at home. I also love the Plus but as a Plus lover I can never part with them. I am looking for a second floppy drive for them though. I have OS 7.1 for it but I want 6.0.8 to try out. Anyone know where I can download the 800KB floppy image of it?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Not even one? Well shucks...

I'll tell you where to download system 6 if you sell me a Plus...

Aw, whatever. You can either download it from Apple's FTP site, <a href="ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_6.0.x/"; target="_blank">ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_6.0.x/</a>;

or you can go to <a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/"; target="_blank">http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/</a>; and look around. That page has a lot of resources for old Mac users.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'll tell you what. If I can find my 512K Mac then I'll GIVE you a Plus. Thanks for the links dude!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I use a 6300 (it was a 6400/G3 400 ) and it is much slower than I remember it being.

The PowerBook Duo 230 will be put on the network shortly.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the slowest Mac i post with is an 800Mhz G4 PB.

sorry.

• Reply 7 of 11
    my 7500/100 before I upgraded it to a 200e. Damn that was a great machine but alas i sold it.

I also browsed a few times from my old LC575 but never posted.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i used to post regularly from a performa 6400 (200mhz 603e), but now it is all from my iBook 700. I have a PM 6500 in my trunk that i need to get out and hook up.

I have an SE/30 with an ethernet card installed, but I am unable to put a browser on it as of yet...i need to update to system 7.1 (sys 7.0 on there now)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Um, gee. . . a powerbook 1Ghz.

Sometimes when I'm at my parent's house I use a powerbook G4 500Mhz. That's pushing it. . . But I suppose the worst machine I ever pulled up AI on (to todays standards) is an 8500. That was back in 99 or so. wow. my first post to AI was in the summer of 99. . . pushin' 4 years.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Way back when I surfed on a Performa 630CD, then a '99 DVSE, then iBook 500, now G4 933.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    333 Mhz Rev D iMac, only Mac I've ever owned.