IDC: Apple Watch Series 4 accounted for less than 20 percent of Apple Watch sales in Q3

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2020
Apple Watch Series 3 is still a major player in Apple's smartwatch lineup, as the legacy device outperformed its newer Series 4 siblings to drive a bulk of Apple's wearables sales for the third quarter of 2018.

According to the latest estimates from IDC, Apple shipped 4.2 million Apple Watch units during the quarter ending in September for a 13.1 percent share of the global market. The figure, up 54 percent from 2.7 million units shipped during the same period last year, was good enough to put Apple in the No. 2 spot behind Xiaomi.

Though the Cupertino tech giant launched a redesigned Apple Watch Series 4 with larger display and advanced health monitoring features last quarter, it was the Series 3 that accounted for a majority of its wearable sales. A slate of new features delivered alongside watchOS 5 and a reduced price point stoked demand for the year-old smartwatch, IDC said.

The recently released Apple Watch Series 4 accounted for less than 20 percent of quarterly shipments, according to IDC estimates.

After relinquishing its crown as the world's largest wearables maker to Apple this summer, Xiaomi clawed its way back to the top in the third quarter on strong sales of the Mi Band 3 and an expansion beyond the Chinese market. The Chinese company shipped 6.9 million units for a 21.5 percent marketshare in quarter three, up a whopping 90.9 percent year-over-year.

Fitbit managed 3.5 million unit shipments across its varied product line for a 10.9 percent share of the market, down 3.1 percent from the same time last year. Of note, high demand for the Versa made Fitbit the second largest smartwatch vendor behind Apple.

Huawei and Samsung drew up the rear in fourth and fifth place with a respective 1.9 million and 1.8 million units shipped. Huawei enjoyed 20.3 percent growth on the year, while Samsung was up 91 percent.

As for the wider market, IDC saw basic wearables return to growth as manufacturers build in more advanced capabilities typically reserved for smartwatch devices.

"Many of the new basic wearables include features like notifications or simple app integrations that bleed into smartwatch territory. This has helped satiate consumer demand for more capable devices while also maintaining average selling prices in a market that faces plenty of downward pressure from low-cost vendors and declining smartwatch pricing," said Jitesh Ubrani, senior research analyst at IDC.

Apple first claimed the wearables market crown from longtime frontrunner Xiaomi in June and held that position for two quarters. The recent resurgence of basic wearables, again led by Xiaomi, appears to have come at the expense of more expensive devices marketed by Apple. That could change in the near future as the features -- and prices -- of basic category devices continue to bleed into smartwatch territory.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Considering how much faster the AW4 is over 3, I cannot imagine buying or recommending the 3 anymore. 
    elijahgMisterKitchasmAndy.Hardwake
  • Reply 2 of 44
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    For God’s sakes - at least mention that the Xiaomi devices sell for $25.  Have some journalistic curiosity and don’t just regurgitate IDC’s crap ‘research’

Also, the Seiries 4 was not generally available until mid October. Halfway through the quarter 

TomEthtslprescottRayz2016racerhomie3ManicMoovfrantisekredgeminipabrucemcgutengel
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Wow, if my business relied on market metrics from IDC. I'd just save the money and roll dice instead. Even a cursory review of their reporting shows glaring, if not entirely comical errors.

Like putting devices like the Mi Band 3 in the same category as the Apple Watch or indeed any smart watch:
    - The device still lacks basic features that were mature in the Gen 0 Apple Watch.
    - They are in vastly different price brackets
    - Shipped units of a low-RRP, cheap to manufacture plastic band has no bearings on market share whatsoever, nor the smartwatch market.
    - The item is frequently a gift with purchase

IDC might as well put Razor scooters in the same category as luxury vehicles. To satiate market demand for people to move around on wheels.  :D

These glaring faults don't even scratch the surface of how IDC actually have no realistic ability to estimate both watch sales figures, units or model share.
    racerhomie3dedgeckochasmredgeminipachiaJWSCcornchipdouglas bailey
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Of course the 4 didn’t sell as much. Everywhere I go I see the 3 front and center. The 4 I only find at Apple. It’s weird. 

The 4 absolutely destroys the 3 in every way. But most people just think it’s incrementel like the first two revisions were. At that point they are looking at price. And the 4 is a good bit more expensive. 
    elijahgMisterKitGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Apple is also padding their margins heftily. While that’s good per unit sales, it’s rough over all. It’s gives an inflated sense of value which is also good. But it also feels like a foolish purchase at times. A bit more ram or storage? Take out a second mortgage please. It’s unbelievable in some cases.

As a professional creative in both static and motion art covering digital and print, Apple has a substantial footprint in my home and vehicle. It also has a major footprint in my workplace. However, this year when I’ve submitted budget requests for just two Apple products, I was shot down due to the exorbitant price in comparison to other manufacturer hardware. And it’s something even I was unable to justify. 

I like thst the products are priced in accord accord with the card put into crafting them. I am infuriated by the gouging of customers like me who actually need hefty performance from our machines. 

And im concerned that other agencies and businesses will be making decisions just like my workplace. 

There is s difference between “paying more for better” and “just plain foolish.” At this point, and it pains me to admit it - especially after being s driving force behind Apple s dominance in my workplace, but Apple has taken 2018 as an opportunity to for e people into the “just plain foolish” category wgebn they truly need some real horsepower in their carefully crafted machines. 
    edited December 2018 elijahgrazorpit
  • Reply 6 of 44
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Considering how much faster the AW4 is over 3, I cannot imagine buying or recommending the 3 anymore. 
    Yep. Pretty much my take, except the S4 was/is full retail everywhere I looked, and the S3 was pretty widely discounted at several places. And if it's not at the moment, it will be again, soon. So given the price gap, I can see were the new and improved just wouldn't be justified by a lot of people. But I have an S2 so I'll be getting a 4.

According to the latest estimates from IDC
    I stopped reading right about there. I have no doubt the S3 was a far more popular choice given the discounting.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Apple Watch Series 3 is still a major player in Apple's smartwatch lineup, as the legacy device outperformed its newer Series 4 siblings to drive a bulk of Apple's wearables sales for the third quarter of 2018.

According to the latest estimates from IDC, Apple shipped 4.2 million Apple Watch units during the quarter ending in September for a 13.1 percent share of the global market. The figure, up 54 percent from 2.7 million units shipped during the same period last year, was good enough to put Apple in the No. 2 spot behind Xiaomi.

Though the Cupertino tech giant launched a redesigned Apple Watch Series 4 with larger display and advanced health monitoring features last quarter, it was the Series 3 that accounted for a majority of its wearable sales. A slate of new features delivered alongside watchOS 5 and a reduced price point stoked demand for the year-old smartwatch, IDC said.

The recently released Apple Watch Series 4 accounted for less than 20 percent of quarterly shipments, according to IDC estimates.

After relinquishing its crown as the world's largest wearables maker to Apple this summer, Xiaomi clawed its way back to the top in the third quarter on strong sales of the Mi Band 3 and an expansion beyond the Chinese market. The Chinese company shipped 6.9 million units for a 21.5 percent marketshare in quarter three, up a whopping 90.9 percent year-over-year.

Fitbit managed 3.5 million unit shipments across its varied product line for a 10.9 percent share of the market, down 3.1 percent from the same time last year. Of note, high demand for the Versa made Fitbit the second largest smartwatch vendor behind Apple.

Huawei and Samsung drew up the rear in fourth and fifth place with a respective 1.9 million and 1.8 million units shipped. Huawei enjoyed 20.3 percent growth on the year, while Samsung was up 91 percent.

As for the wider market, IDC saw basic wearables return to growth as manufacturers build in more advanced capabilities typically reserved for smartwatch devices.

"Many of the new basic wearables include features like notifications or simple app integrations that bleed into smartwatch territory. This has helped satiate consumer demand for more capable devices while also maintaining average selling prices in a market that faces plenty of downward pressure from low-cost vendors and declining smartwatch pricing," said Jitesh Ubrani, senior research analyst at IDC.

Apple first claimed the wearables market crown from longtime frontrunner Xiaomi in June and held that position for two quarters. The recent resurgence of basic wearables, again led by Xiaomi, appears to have come at the expense of more expensive devices marketed by Apple. That could change in the near future as the features -- and prices -- of basic category devices continue to bleed into smartwatch territory.
    Considering Apple Watch Series 4 went on sale on september 21 - 10 days before the quarter ended - and that it was seriously supply constrained at first the numbers soond pretty good to me. In the current quarter the percentage will be much higher. My money is on north of 50% for sure. 
    thtchasmRayz2016dedgeckoredgeminipabrucemccornchip
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Isn't the quarter ending in September actually Apple's 4th quarter? October through December is always their first quarter of the next year. Apple's Q3 ended in June.

On another note, and I'm not sure how this would effect the numbers overall, but I finally was able to score an Apple Watch 4. My phone provider (in Canada) had preorders and reservations, but they're still filling them. I didn't bother with that, and just got lucky that they happened to have a 44mm space grey model in stock that day. I guess someone didn't pick up their reservation in time. Outside of Apple, they still seem to be hardly available anywhere here, especially the 44mm cellular models.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    I don’t believe one bloody word of their estimate.
    redgeminipacornchipdouglas bailey
  • Reply 10 of 44
    It's only like 20% faster than the S3.

I believe this estimate. Few people need an Apple Watch, but lots want one. That spells G I F T. And when people are buying for other people, they cut corners.

Regardless: the S3 is still a terrific device. It's not like the S0 where it was barely good enough, it's more your two-year-old iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Reminder: IDC are notoriously wrong each and every quarter, about everything. AI has done numerous articles pointing out this fact. Take this with a grain of salt the size of a beach ball.
    thtredgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Love my AW4, but the AW3 is still damn good. Better than any Samsung Gear or Android watch out there. I can see them selling like hot cakes.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Eric_WVGG said:
    It's only like 20% faster than the S3.

I believe this estimate. Few people need an Apple Watch, but lots want one. That spells G I F T. And when people are buying for other people, they cut corners.

Regardless: the S3 is still a terrific device. It's not like the S0 where it was barely good enough, it's more your two-year-old iPad.
    Go demo an s4. 

Conpare it to the 3 or *shudder* earlier. 

Its a noticeable difference in speed and vibrance. 

Personally, I feel like the 4 is the first Apple Watch I genuinely feel like an Apple product. 

The performance and conpeomise of the earlier designs felt like a white label tablet feels like. 

Like it just never ever satisfied or hits home. 

The earlier watches were still best in class, but the 4 feels exceptional. 
    MisterKitStrangeDaysbala1234
  • Reply 14 of 44
    AW4 to me is the first mature generation. I would not buy anything else. It would be a surprise if the numbers in this article are really accurate.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    I preordered my gold stainless AW4 in September and Best Buy couldn’t get it to me until November 27th. Heck Apple couldn’t do any better. Inventory is still constrained. I was able to find one gold aluminum AW4 November 1st in our area and I’m in a major city. Lol. That report is stupid. 
    chia
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Apple Watch 4 is the Mass Market device

Akin to iPhone 4s/6+, iPad 2, and likely HomePod 3.

We get a few revisions, then a big update, but one that while awesome, still leaves the previous generation at a healthy pricepoint. The whales get the latest and greatest, and the masses pick up last year’s excellent product but at a more palatable cost. 

Its happened before, it will happen again. 
  • Reply 17 of 44
    pujones1 said:
    I preordered my gold stainless AW4 in September and Best Buy couldn’t get it to me until November 27th. Heck Apple couldn’t do any better. Inventory is still constrained. I was able to find one gold aluminum AW4 November 1st in our area and I’m in a major city. Lol. That report is stupid. 
    It says shipped not sold....everywhere i go and finding iwatch on persons arms...
  • Reply 18 of 44
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    MisterKit said:
    AW4 to me is the first mature generation. I would not buy anything else. It would be a surprise if the numbers in this article are really accurate.
    I think the Apple Watch Series 4 was a major step forward. But IDC's numbers don't surprise me. The Series 4 was only available for the last 10 days of the third quarter and the Series 3 was discounted leading up to and after the release of the Series 4. So I'd expect that most of the Apple Watches sold in the quarter were Series 3.

The total numbers for Apple Watch should be much larger for the fourth quarter, and the Series 4 should represent a much larger share of them. But I expect that a lot of Series 3 were also sold as it represents such a good value at its current price and with some of the discounting we've seen on it.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    This article just show current state of art of journalism. AI is making great articles and reviews but do not hesitate to reprint PR article without thinking about it.

When I was doing PR 20 years ago it was the same. I sent PR article to IT journalists and 90% just reprinted it whole or part.
    mattinozStrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 44
    I would absolutely recommend the AW3 to anyone who doesn't need the extra functionality of the AW4.   The AW3 was good enough when it was the fastest device, and it's also good enough for a significant number of people even now when it's not the fastest device.  Especially given the discounts available on the AW3.

Not everyone needs the latest and greatest, and if the feature set of the AW4 doesn't offer a given person anything of value over the AW3, then paying the extra for that un-needed functionality is dumb.

I have an AW3 with Cellular.  It's good enough.  It does everything I need, and while I would like to have the newer one, there isn't $500+ additional value in it for me.
    razorpitchiamac_128muthuk_vanalingammobird