Epic Game Store coming to compete with Valve's Steam, Mac App Store

Posted:
in Mac Software
Fortnite and Gears of War developer Epic Games is in the process of building the Epic Games Store, which could potentially lure Mac and Windows developers away from Valve's industry-dominant Steam platform.

Epic Games Store

The Epic Games Store is "launching soon" for PC and Mac, Epic said on Tuesday. The key draw for developers will be an 88/12 revenue split, much more favorable than the 70/30 normally offered by Steam or Apple's Mac App Store. This cut will be even better for companies that rely on Epic's Unreal game engine, since they'll be able to skip royalties, according to TechCrunch.

Valve has in fact announced its own change in revenue payments to keep developers onboard. Though the company is still claiming 30 percent from developers with under $10 million in revenue, from that point the cut drops to 25 percent, and lastly 20 percent at the $50 million mark.

Steam has had little real competition for years, its main multiplatform rivals at the moment being GOG (Good Old Games) and the Humble Store. There are other online stores for Mac and Windows, but many of them are publisher-exclusive, such as EA's Origin.

The Mac App Store has been held back by mostly by its audience, since the Mac userbase is still a minority that developers consider secondary. That's in part because most Macs are equipped with mobile or integrated graphics chips, which can't keep up with the full-sized GPUs found in many Windows PCs. Even within those limitations developers have been keen to avoid Apple's strict rules and 30 percent cut.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I don't see anyone already invested in a load of games via Steam are going to drop it anytime soon.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    The more the merrier.  I have some steam games and some directly loaded.  Steam game ownership doesn’t preclude anything.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    tbornot said:
    The more the merrier.  I have some steam games and some directly loaded.  Steam game ownership doesn’t preclude anything.
    Although Origin could disappear, bunch of theives pedelling over priced bugs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Welcome to the party, pals.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    The more choice the better. Regarding games ... I wish Apple would incent developers to build/port A titles for iOS and tvOS. By next year the chips will be more capable than ever to support near console quality. Maybe Apple could take a tiny sliver of money out of their huge car developlment and movie production budgets to create a controller (and mandate support), and developer incentives for games on AppleTV 4K and beyond. It’s a multi-billion dollar industry!
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MacPro said:
    I don't see anyone already invested in a load of games via Steam are going to drop it anytime soon.
    Don't need to drop it to make the other one viable.  I use both Steam and GOG for games.  While I often prefer GOG because of the way the package games, generally speaking, whichever one has the best price on the game I want gets my business.  This just adds another to the mix.  I doubt you'll see a mass exodus from Steam unless Valve does something incredibly stupid.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    MacPro said:
    Don't need to drop it to make the other one viable.  I use both Steam and GOG for games.  While I often prefer GOG because of the way the package games, generally speaking, whichever one has the best price on the game I want gets my business.  This just adds another to the mix.  I doubt you'll see a mass exodus from Steam unless Valve does something incredibly stupid.
    Sorry, I was misinterpreted here, I was meaning no one will drop Steam, oh wait ... I actually said that.  I have no issue with extra choices.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    tbornot said:
    It stops me just as much as every media company wanting to have their own streaming subscription service stops me. I don’t want to duplicate every damned service and system, having more and more accounts to keep track of, just because every damned corporation wants in on every damned market.
    watto_cobra