Apple begins selling 18W USB-C power adapter separately for iPhones & iPads

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Wednesday launched a standalone option for its 18-watt USB-C power adapter, enabling fast charging for the iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPhone XR, and iPhone XS.

Apple 18W USB-C adapter

The U.S. version of the adapter costs $29. Buyers will, however, have to supply their own charging cable. There are also various international editions, such as the British one, which sports a unique folding prong mechanism.

The adapter is the same one bundled with 2018 iPad Pros. The ability to buy the product separately has been an ongoing demand, especially given the growing standardization of USB-C in and outside of the Apple ecosystem. For people already invested in the technology, it may allow them to reduce cable clutter or swap in a substitute cable as needed.

iPhones supporting fast charging include the 8, 8 Plus, X, XS, XS Max, and XR.

At the moment, Apple is the only company allowed to produce USB-C-to-Lightning cables. That could finally change this February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    This really should be in the box or a free BTO option. The included charger is a very poor offering.
    razorpitsvanstromcaladanianCaffiendairnerd
  • Reply 2 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    avon b7 said:
    This really should be in the box or a free BTO option. The included charger is a very poor offering.
    No it shouldn't, it's less desirable for most people, because most people still use the older USB plugs and Lightning cables. USB-C is a nice to have, but it hasn't gone critical yet. If they put this and only this in the box, you people (well, not you, as you're not a real customer) would have a shit-fit over having to replace all of your charging cables. "What a racket! Apple is forcing us to buy more cables!" yada yada....

It's a balancing act. So far I see no reason to believe Apple isn't doing it right. Certainly not because of what knockoff cheerleaders on techie sites say...
    edited December 2018 cornchipmike1Solipscooter63Deelronredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 42
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    avon b7 said:
    No it shouldn't, it's less desirable for most people, because most people still use the older USB plugs and Lightning cables. USB-C is a nice to have, but it hasn't gone critical yet. If they put this and only this in the box, you people (well, not you, as you're not a real customer) would have a shit-fit over having to replace all of your charging cables. "What a racket! Apple is forcing us to buy more cables!" yada yada....

It's a balancing act. So far I see no reason to believe Apple isn't doing it right. Certainly not because of what knockoff cheerleaders on techie sites say...
    How is a 5W charger is better for the consumer than a 18W charger? Most people have several 5W chargers by now. If they want to use one them let them. Macs have had USB-C for two years now.
    edited December 2018 applecoredrogifan_newcaladanianCaffiendairnerd
  • Reply 4 of 42
    avon b7 said:

They either should include this one, or none at all. I’m fed up with getting more and more 5W chargers. At this point I’ve started suspecting that they’re actually breeding (at a rate putting the most prolific rabbits at shame).
  • Reply 5 of 42
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    avon b7 said:

If you're buying a new - expensive - phone that can benefit from this charger, just bung it in the box or make it a free BTO option.

What cables or chargers they might already have is basically irrelevant unless they want an even bigger collection of 5W chargers.

Let's be frank. This is just another example of Apple making even more money off yet another accessory.
    edited December 2018 decoderingapplecoredrogifan_newtechprod1gycaladanianCaffiendbluefire1airnerd
  • Reply 6 of 42
    I agree. As a long time Apple user and advocate, I'm tiring of the nickel and dime-ing. Apple was always ahead of the curve, leading the way, and if late, then stylishly late, but not dragging its ass forward like this.
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

If you're buying a new - expensive - phone that can benefit from this charger, just bung it in the box or make it a free BTO option.

What cables or chargers they might already have is basically irrelevant unless they want an even bigger collection of 5W chargers.

Let's be frank. This is just another example of Apple making even more money off yet another accessory.
    Caffiendairnerd
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Bundling a slow (5W) charger with a premium iPhone is a design error.
    edited December 2018 MplsProgifan_newtechprod1gycaladanianCaffiendbluefire1airnerd
  • Reply 8 of 42
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Good to know they now have this option.  But, since getting my 8 have switched to wireless charging.  Rarely hookup with cable anymore
    dewmeairnerdredgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 42
    I thought you needed an adapter 29W or higher to fast charge a compatible iPhone?   This article from Apple does not include a 18W adapter as a recommended charger. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137
  • Reply 10 of 42
    I agree that the options and the pack-in are annoying, but there is an awkward situation. I'd kind of enjoy them packing in a Qi charger since that's all I use to charge my phone anymore and I don't need the waste of money that is _another_ little white cube I'll never use, and I definitely don't want a higher price tag for a higher wattage one that I'll never use. The hard to accept transition here is to having no charger in the iPhone box at all and an optional box add-on. Maybe the cheap wall wart is free with iPhone purchase? Then, the Qi charger or fast charger are at a reduced price with and iPhone purchase? But people will be angry, so... the reasonable options may never come and Apple will keep shipping literal garbage inside the box to keep them happy.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 11 of 42
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

John Gruber thinks Apple still bundles the 5W charger with phones because of its size, because it fits in a women’s purse. He wasn’t offering it as an excuse but his reasoning for why they still do it.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    At this point, Apple has created an entirely effed up cable and charging mess. All of their phones are capable of fast charging but they include 5w chargers. They went ‘all in’ on USB C ports on their laptops yet kept USB A ports on their desktop computers. All of their peripheral devices come with USB A - lightning cables for charging, making them incompatible with the MacBooks. They are only just now licensing Lightning- USB C cables, meaning they were much harder to find, and they have kept the lightning port in iPhones rather than switching to a USB C. 

For a company that claims ‘USB C is the future,’ they have been remarkable slow to switch things over.
    caladanianairnerd
  • Reply 13 of 42
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    Came for the whining. Not disappointed.
    mike1thtdewmeSoliMisterKitpscooter63Rayz2016chiabaconstangroundaboutnow
  • Reply 14 of 42
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    Bundling a slow (5W) charger with a premium iPhone is a design error.
    I disagree. I would rather not pay a penny more for this charger to be included with the phone. I don't think I am atypical in generally charging my phone every night. a 5w charger does that just fine. If I had a use case that required me to fast charge, then I would pay for a larger charger. That would be my call, not Apple's.

A good design decision is thinking about what will benefit most of the users, most of the time.
    dewmepscooter63urashidbaconstangroundaboutnow
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Peter H said:
    I thought you needed an adapter 29W or higher to fast charge a compatible iPhone?   This article from Apple does not include a 18W adapter as a recommended charger. 

The lists of supported devices for the 30W and the 18W chargers are the same. I would guess Apple will be updating the kb article you posted in due time. What would be nice is if AI could repeat their Fast-charging tests with this new charger to see if there is a significant difference in charging times with the 18W vs the 30W. I can’t imagine there would be a big difference for the phone, but maybe for the iPads Pro. I would also like to see data for the gen 6 iPad; even though it doesn’t offer fast-charging it may get some improvement over the included 10W charger.
    edited December 2018 caladanian
  • Reply 16 of 42
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    mbenz1962 said:
    Peter H said:

The lists of supported devices for the 30W and the 18W chargers are the same. I would guess Apple will be updating the kb article you posted in due time. What would be nice is if AI could repeat their Fast-charging tests with this new charger to see if there is a significant difference in charging times with the 18W vs the 30W. I can’t imagine there would be a big difference for the phone, but maybe for the iPads Pro. I would also like to see data for the gen 6 iPad; even though it doesn’t offer fast-charging it may get some improvement over the included 10W charger.
    iPhone 8 and X models draw 12.48 W (5.2V at 2.4A). iPhone Plus models going back to the 6S Plus could draw about 10 W. So, if you want to go biggest bang for your money, you can get a 10W USBA charger for less than $10.

”Fast charging” is just a vacuous name companies and media use to say that this or that device can draw more power than the traditional USBA specification of 5 W (5V at 1A). Charging bricks have to be able to supply that right amps and volts to support whatever the device expects. In the case of the 18 W and 29 W, etc, USBC charging bricks, they have multiple output power that they can deliver. 5.2V x 2.4A = 12.5 W will be one of them, and that is what modern iPhones will use. iPads and Macs will use the higher output levels from Apple’s charging bricks, that correspond to the max draw of those devices.

Ie, an iPad won’t be drawing 60 W from Apple’s bigger charging bricks, just whatever the max an iPad can take, which is probably 18W for 2018 iPad Pros.
    chiaairnerd
  • Reply 17 of 42
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    tht said:
    mbenz1962 said:
    Peter H said:

iPhone 8 and X models draw 12.48 W (5.2V at 2.4A). iPhone Plus models going back to the 6S Plus could draw about 10 W. So, if you want to go biggest bang for your money, you can get a 10W USBA charger for less than $10.

”Fast charging” is just a vacuous name companies and media use to say that this or that device can draw more power than the traditional USBA specification of 5 W (5V at 1A). Charging bricks have to be able to supply that right amps and volts to support whatever the device expects. In the case of the 18 W and 29 W, etc, USBC charging bricks, they have multiple output power that they can deliver. 5.2V x 2.4A = 12.5 W will be one of them, and that is what modern iPhones will use. iPads and Macs will use the higher output levels from Apple’s charging bricks, that correspond to the max draw of those devices.

Ie, an iPad won’t be drawing 60 W from Apple’s bigger charging bricks, just whatever the max an iPad can take, which is probably 18W for 2018 iPad Pros.
    When using USB-C lightning cables iPhones starting with the 8 and X support 5v/3a for 15w and 9v/2a for 18w charging. 
    avon b7pscooter63airnerd
  • Reply 18 of 42
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    payeco said:
    tht said:
    mbenz1962 said:
    Peter H said:

When using USB-C lightning cables iPhones starting with the 8 and X support 5v/3a for 15w and 9v/2a for 18w charging. 
    I don’t know if it is true and would like to see definitive proof, both on the charging brick and phone side.

I’ve only ever seen 8 and X models support 12.5W. If they support 18W, you could charge a 10.5 WHr X battery in 45 minutes, or get to 50% in 20 minutes. That’s definitely testable. I would bet a lot this 18W charger outputs 5.2V x 2.4A and that is what iPhones use, while only 2018 iPad Pros and probably the MacBooks can draw 18W.
    airnerd
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Should be included in their top devices. Oh wait... they wouldn’t make money if they do that.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The vast majority of users get along fine w the 5W. I charge my iPhone overnight. Plug in at work or car when I'm low. Rinse and repeat. 
    dewmepscooter63baconstangDeelronroundaboutnowredgeminipa