Apple boycott by Chinese firms supporting Huawei is escalating

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2018
Huawei's chief financial officer's arrest in Canada amidst the trade dispute between the US and China has led Chinese firms to urge its employees to boycott Apple in retaliation -- and sanctioning those that don't comply.




In an attempt to show solidarity towards the Chinese telecommunications giant, companies in China are reportedly attempting to encourage employees to buy products from Huawei. Most companies offering such schemes are apparently subsidizing between 10 or 20 percent of the cost of a Huawei smartphone, though some are covering the entire cost of the device.

The support for Huawei doesn't stop at encouraging employees to buy from the firm, as Nikkei Asian Review reports more than 20 Chinese firms have announced on social media their intention to increase purchases of other Huawei products, including its business management system.

Other companies are also stepping in with pro-Huawei offers of their own. In one example given, a brewer is providing employees and customers who present a receipt for a Huawei purchase with free alcohol worth up to 30 percent of the value of the acquisition.

The outpouring of support follows the arrest of Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver on December 1, apprehended during a layover between flights. Meng was arrested at the request of the U.S. government, under claims the company violated U.S. sanctions against Iran.

The timing of the arrest is notable, as the U.S. government and China are in the middle of a trade dispute, caused in part through the Trump Administration's threats to apply tariffs on $200 billion of goods imported form China, with more tariffs also intended to be applied in the future. While initial tariffs did not apply to the iPhone, later tariffs are expected to impact the Apple smartphone's imports, and could potentially raise the cost per device by between $60 and $160.

At the same time as trying to support Huawei, firms are also attempting to boycott Apple products. One Shenzhen machinery producer has threatened to confiscate Apple devices from employees, and potentially fire those who do not comply with orders to hand the hardware over, while another tech company in the region claims it will punish employees who buy Apple items.

It is noted that Chinese consumers tend to boycott companies based in countries that have disagreements with the Chinese government. Examples given include stores owned by Japanese companies destroyed in 2012 during protests over the Senkaku Islands, and boycotts of South Korean companies including Hyundai and Lotte over the deployment of a U.S. Missile defense system in Seoul.

The attempts at a boycott of Apple products is also seemingly in response to firms and governments in Western countries working against the interest of Chinese firms like Huawei.

In August, a U.S. Defense bill blocked government agencies from buying devices from Huawei, ZTE, and other Chinese entities. In 2017, ZTE agreed to pay $892 million for violating U.S. Sanctions forbidding the sale of American technology to Iran and North Korea, following a year of restrictions placed on the company and its suppliers by the government.

Other countries have taken similar steps to get rid of Huawei equipment, under the belief they could be used to damage infrastructure on behalf of the Chinese government. In December, the UK's BT advised it wold not use Huawei hardware in its rollout of a 5G mobile network, and on Monday confirmed it was in the process of removing Huawei equipment from a communications system being developed for use by the police and other emergency services.
«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 149
    Kick China out of the WTO now.
    larryamagman1979macseekeranton zuykovdbolanderelijahgracerhomie3watto_cobraJFC_PAyojimbo007
  • Reply 2 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,386member
    I'm sure that Chinese Companies and individuals will see their social scores increase by participating in these boycotts.

    The Five Eyes are aligned against Chinese Telecom equipment, and as they should be. There's no odds in a telecom infrastructure from an authoritarian government known for IP theft.

    If Apple gets beaten up in China, then I'm  guessing that China will no longer be the supply chain for Apple Products.
    magman1979anton zuykovbaconstangStrangeDaysberndogelijahgracerhomie3watto_cobracornchiprajeshkhater
  • Reply 3 of 149
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,179member
    tmay said:
    I'm sure that Chinese Companies and individuals will see their social scores increase by participating in these boycotts.

    The Five Eyes are aligned against Chinese Telecom equipment, and as they should be. There's no odds in a telecom infrastructure from an authoritarian government known for IP theft.

    If Apple gets beaten up in China, then I'm  guessing that China will no longer be the supply chain for Apple Products.
    http://time.com/5483682/huawei-security-risks-demand-proof/

    The Five Eyes already has a lot Huawei gear. Nothing surprising in that. What is new is the US desperately trying to stop Huawei progress for technological and political reasons under the guise of security and doing so, so late in the day that the UK roll out of 5G could be put back by a year and cost a lot more. All without a shred of evidence.

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12176731
    edited December 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 149
    On a related note, I never saw this bit of news reported.

    One of the two homes that are owned by Wanzhou and/or her husband here in Vancouver was the site of a home invasion during the time she was waiting for her bail hearing. The intruders left when someone confronted them, but the timing is awfully suspicious.
    magman1979watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,386member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    I'm sure that Chinese Companies and individuals will see their social scores increase by participating in these boycotts.

    The Five Eyes are aligned against Chinese Telecom equipment, and as they should be. There's no odds in a telecom infrastructure from an authoritarian government known for IP theft.

    If Apple gets beaten up in China, then I'm  guessing that China will no longer be the supply chain for Apple Products.
    http://time.com/5483682/huawei-security-risks-demand-proof/

    The Five Eyes already has a lot Huawei gear. Nothing surprising in that. What is new is the US desperately trying to stop Huawei progress for technological and political reasons under the guise of security and doing so, so late in the day that the UK roll out of 5G could be put back by a year and cost a lot more. All without a shred of evidence.
    I'm not seeing the need for proof, no more than China would  by banning / eliminating U.S.telecom equipment. Were you aware that Huawei is providing AI hardware to the Chinese Government for upgrading its already intrusive network spying on its own citizens? 

    China has an authoritarian government, President for Life, and China is adamant about seizing the South China Sea per it's claims, which bodes ill for international trade. Given the rampant IP theft, and Chinese Hacking, I'm not seeing why democracies would risk using Huawei infrastructure.

    Great Britain is in the process of reevaluating Huawei equipment; the rest, including the U.S., have little in the way of Huawei equipment in place, and most of that will be removed or replaced.

    https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/australia-no-longer-isolated-as-five-eyes-turn-on-huawei-20181206-p50kk1.html


    "In Australia, experts are also concerned about cyber-security attacks against our institutions and businesses emanating from China.

    For example, consider recent reports in this newspaper that China’s peak security agency directed a surge in cyber attacks on Australian companies over the past year; and that internet traffic heading for Australia was diverted to China for a six-day period.

    There's no suggestion Huawei is in anyway involved in these attacks. But the government's decision to ban it from Australia's 5G networks was certainly based on concerns about China.

    "A long history of cyber incidents shows cyber actors target Australia and Australians," Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Mitch Fifield said in their joint statement back in August without directly mentioning China.

    "The government considers that the involvement of vendors who are likely to be subject to
    extrajudicial directions from a foreign government that conflict with Australian law, may risk
    failure by the carrier to adequately protect a 5G network from unauthorised access or
    interference."

    In other words, the government was concerned that even if Huawei wasn't directly controlled by the Chinese government (the vendor has always denied that it is), under the country's laws it wouldn't be able to resist any demands made on it by Beijing."

    edited December 2018 magman1979DeelronbaconstangStrangeDaysstevenozbonobobelijahgwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 149
    Ha! What a difference between China and US business.
    Here; where companies have actively discouraged and or completely refuse to support Apple products within their IT infrasturctures.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 149
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,706member
    Do they not realize that Apple has nothing to do with this? It’s not like the CFO is all of a sudden gonna get released as a result. This is stupid if you ask me. 
    magman1979baconstangosmartormenajrwatto_cobraedredrajeshkhaterurahara
  • Reply 8 of 149
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,179member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    I'm sure that Chinese Companies and individuals will see their social scores increase by participating in these boycotts.

    The Five Eyes are aligned against Chinese Telecom equipment, and as they should be. There's no odds in a telecom infrastructure from an authoritarian government known for IP theft.

    If Apple gets beaten up in China, then I'm  guessing that China will no longer be the supply chain for Apple Products.
    http://time.com/5483682/huawei-security-risks-demand-proof/

    The Five Eyes already has a lot Huawei gear. Nothing surprising in that. What is new is the US desperately trying to stop Huawei progress for technological and political reasons under the guise of security and doing so, so late in the day that the UK roll out of 5G could be put back by a year and cost a lot more. All without a shred of evidence.
    I'm not seeing the need for proof, no more than China would  by banning / eliminating U.S.telecom equipment. Were you aware that Huawei is providing AI hardware to the Chinese Government for upgrading its already intrusive network spying on its own citizens? 

    China has an authoritarian government, President for Life, and China is adamant about seizing the South China Sea per it's claims, which bodes ill for international trade. Given the rampant IP theft, and Chinese Hacking, I'm not seeing why democracies would risk using Huawei infrastructure.

    Great Britain is in the process of reevaluating Huawei equipment; the rest, including the U.S., have little in the way of Huawei equipment in place, and most of that will be removed or replaced.

    https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/australia-no-longer-isolated-as-five-eyes-turn-on-huawei-20181206-p50kk1.html


    "In Australia, experts are also concerned about cyber-security attacks against our institutions and businesses emanating from China.

    For example, consider recent reports in this newspaper that China’s peak security agency directed a surge in cyber attacks on Australian companies over the past year; and that internet traffic heading for Australia was diverted to China for a six-day period.

    There's no suggestion Huawei is in anyway involved in these attacks. But the government's decision to ban it from Australia's 5G networks was certainly based on concerns about China.

    "A long history of cyber incidents shows cyber actors target Australia and Australians," Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Mitch Fifield said in their joint statement back in August without directly mentioning China.

    "The government considers that the involvement of vendors who are likely to be subject to
    extrajudicial directions from a foreign government that conflict with Australian law, may risk
    failure by the carrier to adequately protect a 5G network from unauthorised access or
    interference."

    In other words, the government was concerned that even if Huawei wasn't directly controlled by the Chinese government (the vendor has always denied that it is), under the country's laws it wouldn't be able to resist any demands made on it by Beijing."

    Huawei is not China. 
  • Reply 9 of 149
    On a related note, I never saw this bit of news reported.

    One of the two homes that are owned by Wanzhou and/or her husband here in Vancouver was the site of a home invasion during the time she was waiting for her bail hearing. The intruders left when someone confronted them, but the timing is awfully suspicious.
    Possibly. But Vancouver is also a high crime rate city.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,386member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    I'm sure that Chinese Companies and individuals will see their social scores increase by participating in these boycotts.

    The Five Eyes are aligned against Chinese Telecom equipment, and as they should be. There's no odds in a telecom infrastructure from an authoritarian government known for IP theft.

    If Apple gets beaten up in China, then I'm  guessing that China will no longer be the supply chain for Apple Products.
    http://time.com/5483682/huawei-security-risks-demand-proof/

    The Five Eyes already has a lot Huawei gear. Nothing surprising in that. What is new is the US desperately trying to stop Huawei progress for technological and political reasons under the guise of security and doing so, so late in the day that the UK roll out of 5G could be put back by a year and cost a lot more. All without a shred of evidence.
    I'm not seeing the need for proof, no more than China would  by banning / eliminating U.S.telecom equipment. Were you aware that Huawei is providing AI hardware to the Chinese Government for upgrading its already intrusive network spying on its own citizens? 

    China has an authoritarian government, President for Life, and China is adamant about seizing the South China Sea per it's claims, which bodes ill for international trade. Given the rampant IP theft, and Chinese Hacking, I'm not seeing why democracies would risk using Huawei infrastructure.

    Great Britain is in the process of reevaluating Huawei equipment; the rest, including the U.S., have little in the way of Huawei equipment in place, and most of that will be removed or replaced.

    https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/australia-no-longer-isolated-as-five-eyes-turn-on-huawei-20181206-p50kk1.html


    "In Australia, experts are also concerned about cyber-security attacks against our institutions and businesses emanating from China.

    For example, consider recent reports in this newspaper that China’s peak security agency directed a surge in cyber attacks on Australian companies over the past year; and that internet traffic heading for Australia was diverted to China for a six-day period.

    There's no suggestion Huawei is in anyway involved in these attacks. But the government's decision to ban it from Australia's 5G networks was certainly based on concerns about China.

    "A long history of cyber incidents shows cyber actors target Australia and Australians," Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Mitch Fifield said in their joint statement back in August without directly mentioning China.

    "The government considers that the involvement of vendors who are likely to be subject to
    extrajudicial directions from a foreign government that conflict with Australian law, may risk
    failure by the carrier to adequately protect a 5G network from unauthorised access or
    interference."

    In other words, the government was concerned that even if Huawei wasn't directly controlled by the Chinese government (the vendor has always denied that it is), under the country's laws it wouldn't be able to resist any demands made on it by Beijing."

    Huawei is not China. 
    "In other words, the government was concerned that even if Huawei wasn't directly controlled by the Chinese government (the vendor has always denied that it is), under the country's laws it wouldn't be able to resist any demands made on it by Beijing."

    Fixed.
    magman1979racerhomie3watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 11 of 149
    I am beginning to wish that Apple never bothered with this market. In a way, I envy Google and Facebook, which are effectively barred from competing in China.
    baconstangdbolanderSpamSandwichwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 12 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,386member
    I am beginning to wish that Apple never bothered with this market. In a way, I envy Google and Facebook, which are effectively barred from competing in China.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/technology/china-google-censored-search-engine.html

    Google isn't barred, it just has to play by the Chinese Governments rules. Same for Facebook.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 149
    OMG, is Foxconn telling its employees not to buy Apple products?  Don't their jobs depend on it?

    The Chinese  are hurting themselves.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,386member
    OMG, is Foxconn telling its employees not to buy Apple products?  Don't their jobs depend on it?

    The Chinese  are hurting themselves.
    Foxconn is Taiwanese.

    seanismorrisihatescreennamesSpamSandwichracerhomie3watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 15 of 149
    Remember "Freedom Fries"? It will too blow over. 
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 149
    It is time that the Western world move from China and take the financial hit now and move on. And for good measure, pull what little is left in Russia as well. Yes it would hurt for a while but once it is over we never have to depend on them again. There are also a lot of other countries we can send our money too - Taiwan, Vietnam, maybe Indonesia and if they wanted it, India - to manufacture the crap we can’t get enough of. 
    baconstangdbolandergeorgie01elijahgwatto_cobracornchipurahara
  • Reply 17 of 149
    On a related note, I never saw this bit of news reported.

    One of the two homes that are owned by Wanzhou and/or her husband here in Vancouver was the site of a home invasion during the time she was waiting for her bail hearing. The intruders left when someone confronted them, but the timing is awfully suspicious.
    Possibly. But Vancouver is also a high crime rate city.
    Sorry, incorrect... I'm from Vancouver, and it is NOT a high crime rate city; that is two of our suburbs, Surrey and Abbotsford, not the actual Vancouver area.
    watto_cobrakimberlyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 149
    On a related note, I never saw this bit of news reported.

    One of the two homes that are owned by Wanzhou and/or her husband here in Vancouver was the site of a home invasion during the time she was waiting for her bail hearing. The intruders left when someone confronted them, but the timing is awfully suspicious.
    Possibly. But Vancouver is also a high crime rate city.
    Based on what information are you saying that Vancouver is a high crime rate city? Seriously? Are you pulling this out of your rear end? 
    edited December 2018 magman1979lordjohnwhorfinradarthekatkimberlyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 149
    Personally, the faster Apple withdraws all manufacturing from China, and maybe even deliberately halts all sales, the better this will be! If Apple withdraws, and takes all their manufacturing jobs with them, let's see how long China will take to start begging them to come back!
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    I'm sure that Chinese Companies and individuals will see their social scores increase by participating in these boycotts.

    The Five Eyes are aligned against Chinese Telecom equipment, and as they should be. There's no odds in a telecom infrastructure from an authoritarian government known for IP theft.

    If Apple gets beaten up in China, then I'm  guessing that China will no longer be the supply chain for Apple Products.
    http://time.com/5483682/huawei-security-risks-demand-proof/

    The Five Eyes already has a lot Huawei gear. Nothing surprising in that. What is new is the US desperately trying to stop Huawei progress for technological and political reasons under the guise of security and doing so, so late in the day that the UK roll out of 5G could be put back by a year and cost a lot more. All without a shred of evidence.
    I'm not seeing the need for proof, no more than China would  by banning / eliminating U.S.telecom equipment. Were you aware that Huawei is providing AI hardware to the Chinese Government for upgrading its already intrusive network spying on its own citizens? 

    China has an authoritarian government, President for Life, and China is adamant about seizing the South China Sea per it's claims, which bodes ill for international trade. Given the rampant IP theft, and Chinese Hacking, I'm not seeing why democracies would risk using Huawei infrastructure.

    Great Britain is in the process of reevaluating Huawei equipment; the rest, including the U.S., have little in the way of Huawei equipment in place, and most of that will be removed or replaced.

    https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/australia-no-longer-isolated-as-five-eyes-turn-on-huawei-20181206-p50kk1.html


    "In Australia, experts are also concerned about cyber-security attacks against our institutions and businesses emanating from China.

    For example, consider recent reports in this newspaper that China’s peak security agency directed a surge in cyber attacks on Australian companies over the past year; and that internet traffic heading for Australia was diverted to China for a six-day period.

    There's no suggestion Huawei is in anyway involved in these attacks. But the government's decision to ban it from Australia's 5G networks was certainly based on concerns about China.

    "A long history of cyber incidents shows cyber actors target Australia and Australians," Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Mitch Fifield said in their joint statement back in August without directly mentioning China.

    "The government considers that the involvement of vendors who are likely to be subject to
    extrajudicial directions from a foreign government that conflict with Australian law, may risk
    failure by the carrier to adequately protect a 5G network from unauthorised access or
    interference."

    In other words, the government was concerned that even if Huawei wasn't directly controlled by the Chinese government (the vendor has always denied that it is), under the country's laws it wouldn't be able to resist any demands made on it by Beijing."

    Huawei is not China. 
    Correction, they are FROM China, and as per Chinese law, as Tmay stated, they CANNOT refuse ANY order from the government, hence they're an integral part of the PRC government. Not to mention Huawei is a bunch of IP thieves, so their reputation is just as bad as most Chinese tech firms already.
    edited December 2018 anton zuykovtmayAnilu_777racerhomie3watto_cobracornchipdocno42
  • Reply 20 of 149
    macxpress said:
    Do they not realize that Apple has nothing to do with this? It’s not like the CFO is all of a sudden gonna get released as a result. This is stupid if you ask me. 
    They are simply projecting.... and by doing that they do confirm that HW does have strong connections to the gov-t. In the case of China, that means that the fears of China using HW hardware for spying are not unfounded. On top of that, because China knows what HW actually is, they think that Apple is in the same position to the US gov-t like HW is to the Chinese gov-t. 
    watto_cobralarrya
Sign In or Register to comment.