Nike's Adapt BB is an iPhone-controlled, self-lacing basketball sneaker

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2019
Following up on earlier teases, Nike on Tuesday announced the Adapt BB, a self-lacing basketball sneaker that can be controlled from smartphones, including the iPhone.

Nike Adapt BB

Simply slipping a foot into the shoe will trigger its motors, adjusting automatically to keep the shoe tight. Wearers can finesse this with manual buttons or the upcoming Nike Adapt app, which will let people adjust each shoe individually, and eventually create presets for different parts of a game.

Accordingly the shoe will even support firmware updates for its FitAdapt system.

Basketball was chosen because of the changes a player's foot can go through, Nike said. A foot can grow as much as half a size over the course of a game, and conventional shoes can potentially start too loose or end up too tight.

The Adapt BB is the end product of years of development. It began as the Mag, an extremely limited product based on the self-lacing Nikes in the 1989 movie "Back to the Future Part II." It evolved into 2016's HyperAdapt 1.0, a multipurpose shoe that was priced at $720 -- well out of the range of the average person.

The new product is still more expensive than most athletic shoes at $350, even Nike's soccer cleats, which don't top $295.

Nike Adapt BB

Preorders for the Adapt BB start today ahead of a Feb. 16 ship date. The shoe comes in sizes ranging from Men's 8/Women's 9.5 to 14/15.5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Funny that they would choose basketball -- there's likely more potential here for runners:  Not just in fit (which applies equally well if not more so) but in traction -- where the sole could adapt to different surfaces and terrains -- from pavement to dirt -- even mud and snow.

There is lots and lots of potential here -- but can Nike pull it off?
    So far, they haven't done too well with the Nike App on Apple Watch.   But I wish them luck -- for our sake!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Can hardly wait for the hack that unties the shoes during a fast break.
    zoetmbSpamSandwichfranklinjackconRoger_FingasGeorgeBMacarthurba
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Funny that they would choose basketball -- there's likely more potential here for runners
    It’s possible that these shoes are a little hefty with the motors and guff - runners normally want the lightest shoe possible.
    SpamSandwichGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Isn’t it quicker to just bend down and … lace up your training shoes?

zoetmbDAalsethracerhomie3
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hentaiboy said:
    Funny that they would choose basketball -- there's likely more potential here for runners
    It’s possible that these shoes are a little hefty with the motors and guff - runners normally want the lightest shoe possible.
    Completely accurate about the need for lightness and I believe a shoe which could automatically adjust lace tension or overall shoe fit could be engineered to operate on simple mechanical principles instead of a battery-powered apparatus.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    Rayz2016 said:

These will adjust automatically without intervention.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Gotta laugh at those yesterday teasing that people can't tie their own shoes.
    This was different than expected.

Rayz2016 said:

Can't do that with these. Anyone who exercises/plays sports can tell you that laces tend to loosen over time.
    GeorgeBMacracerhomie3
  • Reply 8 of 12
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    I think I’ll wait until Nike can add a foot to my vertical leap.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Absurd
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Next: self-fitting jacket from "Back to the Future". Then, self un-zipping pants?
    shamino
  • Reply 11 of 12

No full Nike logo on the sides? Odd design choice.

I'd like a runner's shoes version of this, but like @Hentaiboy said, maybe they're still too heavy to make it to the runner's shoes.

EDIT: Looks like the logo extends in Black to the sole. Took me a while to get it.

edited January 2019
  • Reply 12 of 12
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Some of us have back problems and would welcome technology which saves our back from pain multiple times per day. And several of the people writing comments have no respect for us.