Wireless Router Set-up Help Please!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all, I'm trying to set up my brand new Powerbook 867 to work with my wireless network from my PC. I do not know what I have to do to set-up the airport to be able to see my router. Can someone please help? I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 v.2 wireless router. I have the pc hard-lined into the router and I have my pc laptop that can access the modem through the pc. Can I do this with the mac? I can't even get the Mac to go to the routers page at 192.168.1.1 or whatever. Actually I can't get my PC to do it either. What am I doing wrong here? Can anyone help me? I know the airport card is installed right and everything but I don't know how to connect to the PC network.

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: jpp1cd ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by jpp1cd:

<strong>Hello all, I'm trying to set up my brand new Powerbook 867 to work with my wireless network from my PC. I do not know what I have to do to set-up the airport to be able to see my router. Can someone please help? I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 v.2 wireless router. I have the pc hard-lined into the router and I have my pc laptop that can access the modem through the pc. Can I do this with the mac? I can't even get the Mac to go to the routers page at 192.168.1.1 or whatever. Actually I can't get my PC to do it either. What am I doing wrong here? Can anyone help me? I know the airport card is installed right and everything but I don't know how to connect to the PC network.

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: jpp1cd ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, you are going to need to get to that page in order to configure the router - or make sure it is configured correctly. What happens when you try to go to 192.168.1.1?

The first page you get to in the router config is called "setup" - on that page you enable wireless access. You also should probably turn on the DHCP server (there is a DHCP tab) and then make sure your laptop is set to allow the router to hand it an IP address using DHCP.

If you can't get to the page at 192.168.1.1, you might try it at 192.168.0.1 - My Linksys defaults to 192.168.1.1, but you never know...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    I figured it out. It was just cause I was not entering a $ before I put the WEP key in. Annoying I tell you. Anyway, is there any way to share the modem connection that my PC is using like I could do on my Laptop PC before? This seems like it might be a little harder with the Mac. Also, what do I have to do to get at files that are on my PC? Is there some sort of trick I need to know!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    If you're using Windows XP, under control panel and my network places you'll probably have to find something like "set up a home or small office network"... follow the prompts. Then share whatever folders you need to in there, then in OS X Finder use the "Connect to Server", should be cmd-k or something like that. It'll scan for local networks, and your windows machine should show up. I may be missing a detail (or several... it's too late and I just finished coding what I think is a correct solution to some hw, so my brain's fried).

Alternatively, if you have Win XP (may need Professional for this, can't remember) use Windows remote desktop conection with disk sharing on, and connect to the IP address of whatever your Win PC is (usually sometihng formatted like 192.168.1.101).

If this is confusing I'm sure someone else more awake can get the proper steps typed up... anyways hope that helps