Latest iOS beta hints at 'AirPods 2' with 'Hey Siri' setup screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 24
A "Hey Siri" configuration tool found in Apple's latest iOS 12.2 beta suggests Apple is on the verge of releasing a second-generation AirPods model capable of native interactions with the virtual assistant.

Hey Siri
Source: 9to5Mac


Discovered by 9to5Mac's Guilherme Rambo, the setup screen is nearly identical to Apple's existing "Hey Siri" configuration prompt, but for the first time includes mention of AirPods. Currently, the "Set Up 'Hey Siri'" window is restricted to iPhone.

The screen included in Apple's latest iOS beta version for developers is currently obscured from public view, suggesting the company wanted to keep the feature under wraps prior to an unveiling.

According to Rambo, "Hey Siri" for AirPods will be nearly identical to the same feature for iPhone, the difference being AirPods hardware is expected to handle voice recognition. The earbuds will wirelessly transmit commands to a paired iPhone, allowing users to invoke Siri without pulling out and speaking to their handset.

Considering current AirPods components do not support "Hey Siri" functionality, the setup screen's discovery strongly hints at a near future launch for Apple's widely rumored next-generation AirPods model.

Rumblings of an AirPods refresh first circulated in early 2018, when Bloomberg claimed Apple was working on a follow up to its extremely popular wireless headphones. "Hey Siri" functionality was said to be a major feature addition. The report anticipated a 2018 launch, but those estimates proved incorrect.

In December, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted Apple to debut an updated AirPods product with wireless charging and a Bluetooth specification upgrade in the first quarter of 2019. The new device might also incorporate a revised W-series chip, an inclusion anticipated to power Apple's "Hey Siri" feature.

Earlier this week, a report echoed Kuo's claims, but added unspecified health tracking capabilities to the list of improvements.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    Finally after years of waiting!
    rezwits
  • Reply 2 of 24
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,752member
    I impulse bought some AirPods two weeks ago. You are welcome (to all those waiting for an update)! :D

    That said, I am loving them!  No regrets...
    lolliverracerhomie3GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrarezwits
  • Reply 3 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 1,881member
    It's OK if Aipods 2 comes with health related bells and whistles but basic job of every new version of Airpod is improved sound quality and longer battery life. So, if two new versions of airpods than all good. One simple like current with improvements and other with health sensors.
    edited January 24
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Crossing my fingers for Space Gray pleeeeease.
    gutengelchasmwatto_cobrarezwits
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Crossing my fingers for Space Gray pleeeeease.
    Or a variation of skin tones color so it looks more blend in.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 2,558member
    Crossing my fingers for Space Gray pleeeeease.
    Or a variation of skin tones color so it looks more blend in.
    My skin is Space Gray.
    gutengellordjohnwhorfinStrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I love my AirPods...I use them all the time with my iPhone.

    On my MacBook I have a little app (ToothFairy-just excellent!) in my menu bar that I click and they connect/disconnect very neatly, every time. I do sometimes have a problem with my SE...I wish there was a button to connect. I mostly have to go into the Bluetooth settings.

    On the Apple TV I have to go into the Settings app also. Too many steps. I use them to listen to the TV when my GF goes to bed so I don't disturb her! 
    dhawkins541AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    AirPod is one of my all-time favorite Apple product. I never want to go back to wired ones. One of the first things I’ll do when buying the second generation though is disabling the least favorite ‘product’: Siri
  • Reply 9 of 24
    krawallkrawall Posts: 157member
    bageljoey said:
    I impulse bought some AirPods two weeks ago. You are welcome (to all those waiting for an update)! :D

    That said, I am loving them!  No regrets...
    Both of mine had battery issues after two years of heavy use so I just replaced them before Christmas too :-(

    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 24
    shevshev Posts: 73member
    AirPod is one of my all-time favorite Apple product. I never want to go back to wired ones. One of the first things I’ll do when buying the second generation though is disabling the least favorite ‘product’: Siri
    this, it's just bobbins. tried it a few times while running to change track etc. , NEVER worked. What's the point. Matte black version, and slightly improved next track previous track play pause implementation and I'm in
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 11 of 24
    LOVE my AirPods. Echoing others, they are my favorite Apple product/accessory EVER.

    Since the day I bought them a year and a half ago, I promised that if anything ever happened to them, I wouldn't hesitate to drop another $160 on a pair and that still holds true to this day.

    They've survived several drops on concrete floors, sweat, rain, the case is stained from blue jean dye, and the ear sensors no longer work (they think they're in my ears anytime they're out of the case), but the batteries still last longer than advertised and they sound like new.

    I'll definitely grab a fresh pair of version 2 of the AirPods as long as they retain the core values of the originals.

    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    krawall said:
    bageljoey said:
    I impulse bought some AirPods two weeks ago. You are welcome (to all those waiting for an update)! :D

    That said, I am loving them!  No regrets...
    Both of mine had battery issues after two years of heavy use so I just replaced them before Christmas too :-(

    Can you send the old pair of AirPods to me?
    AppleExposedzroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    GabyGaby Posts: 53member
    The thing I find a little funny is that Apple teased this functionality themselves last September and I’ve been waiting to see if anyone else noticed and still I haven’t read a single story or comment. Go back and watch the intro film for the September keynote, and as the woman gets to the pond she summons Siri with the phrase and asks for quickest route. The only thing in proximity is the AirPods. I was almost certain then that it was coming soon. 
    if anyone now writes this up I want credit lol.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    zroger73 said:
    They've survived several drops on concrete floors, sweat, rain, the case is stained from blue jean dye, and the ear sensors no longer work (they think they're in my ears anytime they're out of the case), but the batteries still last longer than advertised and they sound like new.
    Mine survived a full cycle in the washing machine and work as good as new months later. 
    For those who want Space Gray: https://www.colorware.com/p-1040-colorware-airpods-space-gray.aspx
    zroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    wood1208 said:
    It's OK if Aipods 2 comes with health related bells and whistles but basic job of every new version of Airpod is improved sound quality and longer battery life. So, if two new versions of airpods than all good. One simple like current with improvements and other with health sensors.
    Personally I'm not holding out for increased battery life. Lithium-ion batteries haven't changed much, so the smaller the device the less room there is for increased battery size. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24

    Crossing my fingers for Space Gray pleeeeease.
    Or a variation of skin tones color so it looks more blend in.
    Skin-tones colored plastic? Ew. Not happening.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24

    krawall said:
    bageljoey said:
    I impulse bought some AirPods two weeks ago. You are welcome (to all those waiting for an update)! :D

    That said, I am loving them!  No regrets...
    Both of mine had battery issues after two years of heavy use so I just replaced them before Christmas too :-(
    Yeah I have an original pair from Day 1, and after daily use the charge cycles have taken their toll, the left pod runs out of juice fairly quick. It's $49 to have a single battery replaced, but I'm going to so I can give them to family at some point. 
    watto_cobrarezwits
  • Reply 18 of 24

    Gaby said:
    The thing I find a little funny is that Apple teased this functionality themselves last September and I’ve been waiting to see if anyone else noticed and still I haven’t read a single story or comment. Go back and watch the intro film for the September keynote, and as the woman gets to the pond she summons Siri with the phrase and asks for quickest route. The only thing in proximity is the AirPods. I was almost certain then that it was coming soon. 
    if anyone now writes this up I want credit lol.  
    Nah you just missed it, it was discussed.
    AppleExposedfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 633unconfirmed, member
    zroger73 said:
    LOVE my AirPods. Echoing others, they are my favorite Apple product/accessory EVER.

    Since the day I bought them a year and a half ago, I promised that if anything ever happened to them, I wouldn't hesitate to drop another $160 on a pair and that still holds true to this day.

    They've survived several drops on concrete floors, sweat, rain, the case is stained from blue jean dye, and the ear sensors no longer work (they think they're in my ears anytime they're out of the case), but the batteries still last longer than advertised and they sound like new.

    I'll definitely grab a fresh pair of version 2 of the AirPods as long as they retain the core values of the originals.


    I wonder if debris can cover the sensors?

    wood1208 said:
    It's OK if Aipods 2 comes with health related bells and whistles but basic job of every new version of Airpod is improved sound quality and longer battery life. So, if two new versions of airpods than all good. One simple like current with improvements and other with health sensors.
    Personally I'm not holding out for increased battery life. Lithium-ion batteries haven't changed much, so the smaller the device the less room there is for increased battery size. 

    One letter, one number:

    W2

    zroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Mine survived a full cycle in the washing machine and work as good as new months later. 
    For those who want Space Gray: https://www.colorware.com/p-1040-colorware-airpods-space-gray.aspx
    My brother ruined a left AirPod in a laundry cycle. The right AirPod and case survived, but he threw everything away, and bought a new set. Not long after, he ruined a right AirPod in another laundry cycle. Too bad he threw the original set away!

    I wonder if debris can cover the sensors?
    Ear detection is accomplished with two infrared transceivers on each AirPod. I can hold the AirPods in front of the foward-facing camera on my iPhone and can see the IR light. The AirPods are clean and the circular windows for these sensors are flat and flush. I can only assume some type of electronic failure. I've tried all the usual resets to no avail. No big deal since I don't use this feature, but it is worth noting that the feature did stop functioning at some point causing me to have to disable "automatic ear detection" in my devices.
    watto_cobraAppleExposed
Sign In or Register to comment.