Apple stock claws back to very nearly where it was before the revenue revision

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
Apple shares closed at $157.76 on Friday, reclaiming nearly all of the valuation that the company lost following a bombshell guidance downgrade made on Jan. 2.

NASDAQ

The stock closed at $157.92 that day, but Apple's after-hours announcement caused a massive selloff on Jan. 3, dragging shares down to $142.19. Although they bounced back to $148.26 on Jan. 4, they haven't been above $156.82 at close of market since.

The company revealed that instead of the $89 billion to $93 billion in revenue it had originally forecast for the December quarter, it was now expecting to report $84 billion -- at least $5 billion less. CEO Tim Cook placed most of the blame squarely on iPhone sales, saying it that it accounted for "all of our revenue shortfall to our guidance and for much more than our entire year-over-year revenue decline."

He specifically cited the Chinese iPhone market, but also factors like "foreign exchange headwinds," fewer carrier subsidies, and "economic weakness in some emerging markets."

Upsetting some people he pointed to people taking advantage of a temporary discount on battery upgrades, instituted to apologize for throttling iPhone performance without consent. The company reportedly saw at least 11 times more upgrades than it had planned for.

Apple's stock rebound comes just days before an official announcement of December-quarter results on Jan. 29. It's uncertain how investors will react -- at least one firm, Morgan Stanley, has urged investors to buy stock now on the argument that share prices are unlikely to go much lower.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    President Trump said the stock correction was a gift for those wanting to buy.  Correct again!
    monstrositypotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 2 of 30
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tbornot said:
    President Trump said the stock correction was a gift for those wanting to buy.  Correct again!
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
    Roger_FingasronnStrangeDaysradarthekatlordjohnwhorfinMisterKitwilliamlondonMacProjony0
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Yet it’s still in 4th place behind Microsoft, Amazon and Google.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 30
    So?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    The revenue revision will soften the plunge at the end of the month.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Is there a prize for first place? 
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonfastasleepRonnnieO
  • Reply 7 of 30
    dayedaye Posts: 18member
    Go AAPL.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Still far below its high.   It may be back before Cooks letter but it had decline a lot before this.
    williamlondonpotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 9 of 30
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    tbornot said:
    I come here to get away from political BS.
    edited January 2019 radarthekatlordjohnwhorfinmuthuk_vanalingamronnfotoformatwilliamlondonMacProretrogusto
  • Reply 10 of 30
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    DAalseth said:
    tbornot said:
    That particular comment isn’t specifically political.   Some people don’t like Warren Buffett’s politics, but his opinions are mentioned often.  And he’s often correct.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 30
    That particular comment isn’t specifically political.   Some people don’t like Warren Buffett’s politics, but his opinions are mentioned often.  And he’s often correct.  
    “Rah rah drumpf” is not specifically political? Come on.
    muthuk_vanalingamronnwilliamlondonavon b7MacProretrogusto
  • Reply 12 of 30
    “Rah rah drumpf” is not specifically political? Come on.
    If, in that sentence first quoted, you replaced “President Trump” with “Warren Buffett” would you still think it was political?

I’m happy to see the stock going up again, but it has a long way to go to get back to where it was just a few months ago. 
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Stock is at Fibonacci 61.80 and going up again.Looks good.  A lot of traders will buy again.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ulukila said:
    Stock is at Fibonacci 61.80 and going up again.Looks good.  A lot of traders will buy again.
    Forget that numerology. It’s all crap. These guys are wrong as often as they are right. They then come up with some other nonsense to explain why their prediction was wrong. Sheesh! Shoulders, triangles, necks and other stupid charting methods have nothing to do with anything.
    ronnSpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    With all the cheer about this little rise, it needs to be understood in the context of where it began, which was at the $233 level, and moving higher.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    melgross said:
    Ulukila said:
    Forget that numerology. It’s all crap. These guys are wrong as often as they are right. They then come up with some other nonsense to explain why their prediction was wrong. Sheesh! Shoulders, triangles, necks and other stupid charting methods have nothing to do with anything.
    233...also a fibonacci number...and people really understood fibonacci they would know that there's more success long term playing on THAT than anything else.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    As good as money in the bank, CD or any savings account. Apple $225 end of year.
    potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 18 of 30
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    tbornot said:
    Sorry, but I disagree. It was clearly a partisan political comment. I've seen threads on this site closed for far less. And the question if it were Warren Buffet is meaningless. Warren Buffet is not a divisive political actor. Warren Buffet is not the top political person on talk shows and chat rooms the world over. Warren Buffet is not in a political spat with Congress. Warren Buffet is not a politician, Trump is. So yes that was a political comment and so out of place on these forums. And for the recoird let me add that I would have the same objection if they had said Obama, or Pelosi, or any other political person.
    edited January 2019 retrogustoronn
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    tbornot said:
    Sorry, but I disagree. It was clearly a partisan political comment. I've seen threads on this site closed for far less. And the question if it were Warren Buffet is meaningless. Warren Buffet is not a divisive political actor. Warren Buffet is not the top political person on talk shows and chat rooms the world over. Warren Buffet is not in a political spat with Congress. Warren Buffet is not a politician, Trump is. So yes that was a political comment and so out of place on these forums. And for the recoird let me add that I would have the same objection if they had said Obama, or Pelosi, or any other political person.
    Invoking the guy's name is not against the forum rules.
    beowulfschmidtfastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 30
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    melgross said:
    With all the cheer about this little rise, it needs to be understood in the context of where it began, which was at the $233 level, and moving higher.
    Yeah... I must be missing something about this article. It isn't even close to where it was before the letter.

Mike Wuerthele said:
    Invoking the guy's name is not against the forum rules.
    At this point, I'm a bit unclear about the rules (or at least where the line is). Politics is part of life and numerous articles are quite political in nature, as are some of the comments.

I'm not sure I get what's wrong with that, as I'd think the point would be... that for some reason, some people can't seem to politely discuss politics or religion, but then why not police/ban the bad behavior, not eliminate those topics (which are, IMO, the most important of topics there are)?

I get that it's a tech forum, and not wanting to run too wildly off-topic, but if the article itself is related... then we just turn comments off or pretend it isn't political? And, it isn't like the bad-behavior of some is limited to political articles either.

I guess it's your forum, but it would be nice to know if there is some real line, or if is it like speeding tickets, where some small percentage get smacked down to keep us all on our toes? :)