Users report Apple Pay rollout in Czech Republic prior to official launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2019
As rumored, Apple appears to be rolling out Apple Pay services in the Czech Republic early Tuesday, with the launch following close on the heels of a debut in Saudi Arabia.

Source: Twitter user pykasonet

Though Apple has yet to officially announce regional availability of the product, iOS device users in the Czech Republic have successfully registered credit and debit cards with the payments service, according to tweets and social media posts.

A comprehensive list of supporting banks is unavailable, though users have reportedly provisioned cards from Air Bank, Ceska sporitelna, MONETA Money Bank and payments company Twisto. Air Bank and Twisto are backed by Mastercard, suggesting the financial services giant is once again partnering with Apple for an international Apple Pay debut. Whether cards with backing from Visa, another frequent launch collaborator, will also be available to users in the Czech Republic is unknown.

Rumor of an Apple Pay launch circulated in January and was seemingly confirmed in February when a Ceska sporitelna spokesman said the bank was testing implementation as a potential early adopter. Air Bank, Komercni bank, Monet, mBank, and Twisto were also expected to integrate the technology, with Fio, Equa, Creditas and CSOB said to offer support later in 2019.

The Czech rollout comes mere hours after Apple Pay services rolled out in Saudi Arabia with support four local financial institutions. Prior to the February introductions, Apple's most recent international debut came in December with a launch in Germany.

Launched in the U.S. in 2014, Apple Pay initially offered support for a small batch of banks and credit card companies. Apple has since built out its mobile payments solution with international availability covering major markets in Europe, Asia, South America and beyond. With the Czech Republic now in the fold, Apple Pay is accessible in 35 countries and territories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I checked local apple website and it is there. Not as top news but is it. https://www.apple.com/cz/apple-pay/ Update, Visa is listed at the end.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Contactless terminals are in almost every store in Prague anyway, even at the corner fruit and veggie stands.  I was using my American credit card on my iPhone 6 Plus everywhere there starting back in March 2015.  Glad to see locals can now use the service with loca banks.  

AirBank was what I used, but it seems like very broad banking support at launch compared to launches in most other counties where only one or two banks and credit cards were available to start with.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    I have little store. In this week i had 3 apple pay payments here compare to one with Android phone for whole year before. People trust it and use it.