Cheap PCs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, I need to buy a PC, as cheap as is possible in the entire world Basicly, a friend, who doesnt even understand the concept of the power button, and cant operate a mouse properly, wants to buy a computer so that her daughter can use AIM.

Top price is 400$ with monitor if possible. . . I have basic applications like word to give them, so all they need is the computer. Is there a really cheap reseller of bad PC's, that also come with monitors? The only features we really need is an ethernet plug, and cd burning is convient but not needed.

if anyone is selling anything, or knows a good place to get a good deal. . . thanks

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: xionja ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by xionja:

<strong>Okay, I need to buy a PC, as cheap as is possible in the entire world Basicly, a friend, who doesnt even understand the concept of the power button, and cant operate a mouse properly, wants to buy a computer so that her daughter can use AIM.

Top price is 400$ with monitor if possible. . . I have basic applications like word to give them, so all they need is the computer. Is there a really cheap reseller of bad PC's, that also come with monitors? The only features we really need is an ethernet plug, and cd burning is convient but not needed.

if anyone is selling anything, or knows a good place to get a good deal. . . thanks

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: xionja ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

There are deals that cheap, however they tend to be limited time promotions and tend to involve mail-in rebates to get down to the $400.

On another, I hope you were not suggesting you'd give your friend a pirate copy of Word.

(BTW...some version of Word may come with your PC purchase anyway.)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Sam's club and Walmart sell Redhat Linux PCs with OpenOffice for something like $300.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i thought he said he has word already?

oh well, if u have $400 to spend, i'd build ur own from <a href="http://www.pricewatch.com"; target="_blank">www.pricewatch.com</a>

...i just feel more secure knowing i built it...all the personal built pc's i see work fine, others give weird errors and have problems

..guess u get what u pay for...unless u pay for the parts individually
  • Reply 4 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chris Cuilla:

<strong>

On another, I hope you were not suggesting you'd give your friend a pirate copy of Word.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because people never pirate stuff and Microsoft needs all the money they can get.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Yeah, I have Zero qualms with pirating from microsoft, or almost anything.

I really dont wanna get into custom built stuff *me looks a complety ****ed up noisy ol' pc i built 2 years ago* I figure i should get a big brand, dell or something, so that i dont have to fix the computer when this kids nail polish spills on it or something, but where can i get a big brand cheap?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Don't know where you can find such a cheap deal from Dell, Gateway etc. You might try eMachines; they are pretty bad, though.

Wondering why you can't get an old iMac with a built in screen on Ebay? Many people sell their old iMacs, and often times throw in software. Since it is for your friend's daughter and she doesn't know about computers, an old iMac 400 MHz running OS 9 with a CD-ROM would be enough. (I wouldn't want less than a 400 MHz machine). And, Macs are easy to learn. Appleworks software has word processing in it, and costs less than $100.

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: JustPeachy ]

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: JustPeachy ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Wal-Mart sells PCs running Lindows (Linux for beginners, meant to work like Windows) for as little as $200 for the absolute cheapest bargain basement model. Add a $50 15" monitor from a local computer store, and you've got yourself a functioning computer.

You could also try eBay. I see Pentium II's there for very little, often under $100.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    get the walmart PC with lindows and install windows on it...i'll give you specific direction and places to buy it *hint hint, wink wink*

...couldn't get more specific than that without down right saying it