Video: Everything new in iOS 12.2 beta 4 for iPhone & iPad

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has released iOS 12.2 beta 4 to developers, it comes with a number of notable changes over the past three beta releases.

iOS 12.2 Beta 4
iOS 12.2 Beta 4

There is a great deal arriving in iOS 12.2 such as Apple News arriving in Canada, and a quartet of new Animoji characters. Monday's beta update had a few notable changes, but mostly cleans up issues introduced in the past that have made headlines.

Apple News icon
Apple News icon

One of the first noticable changes is a refreshed icon for Apple News. It is now a stark white icon with a red 'N' emblazoned in the center. There have been a few tweaks within the News app during the 12.2 beta cycle including a launch in Canada and signifiers that Apple is close to launching its paid news service that has been rumored for some time.

The latest beta update weighs in at a hefty 390MB on our iPhone XS Max.

Another change is in Control Center where the remote widget has been continuously tweaked during the previous betas. Now the icon has been changed to a mirror the Apple TV Siri remote. Within the remote widget, the TV and the microphone button have swapped spots. While playing content, the skip 10 seconds forward/back buttons have returned on the lower corners of the touch surface.

Updated Remote icon
Updated Remote icon

Apple TVs have a new volume interface when accessed via the AirPlay button and content is playing. The new remote button also makes an appearance here.

Be sure to check out what changed last time in iOS 12.2 beta 3, beta 2, and beta 1.

Find any changes or features we didn't mention? Shoot me an email at [email protected] or reach out to me on Twitter at @Andrew_OSU.
forgot username

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Looks like we’re waiting for v13 for anything but the most minor tweaks.

Still need to install incremental releases for the security updates though...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    That new icon is more stupid garbage design from Apple.

Have the multitude of Safari text edit field bugs been fixed? They never are, so I expect this update will similarly ignore all of those bugs. I swear no one must actually use this stuff for more than one or two lines of text per day.

The highlighting, selection handles, utterly inconsistently functional 3D Touch for selection, etc etc. The newest bug is the spelling correction pop ups for red underlined words: These won’t stay on screen. They spontaneously disappear before you can tap on them.

It’s utterly abysmal at this point and I’m the only one who ever talks about it.
    forgot usernamenetmage
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dysamoria said:
    That new icon is more stupid garbage design from Apple.

Have the multitude of Safari text edit field bugs been fixed? They never are, so I expect this update will similarly ignore all of those bugs. I swear no one must actually use this stuff for more than one or two lines of text per day.

The highlighting, selection handles, utterly inconsistently functional 3D Touch for selection, etc etc. The newest bug is the spelling correction pop ups for red underlined words: These won’t stay on screen. They spontaneously disappear before you can tap on them.

It’s utterly abysmal at this point and I’m the only one who ever talks about it.
    Be nice.

I can get this 'complain-y' attitude at home from my GF...I come to Ai to get away from it.

Ugh.

Best.
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Js217Js217 Posts: 1member
    Would have been nice if they had addressed/fixed the “messages in iCloud disabled”  Repair Account at the bottom of the text page. I have already tried everything recommended to no avail...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    A new icon and four new emojis.

Be still my heart.
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Roy_ARoy_A Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    It's really important to have an option to restrict "Personal Hotspot" via ScreenTime settings. I don't want my kid to surf via 4G without restriction using "Hotspot" connection. I tried to contact Apple few times regarding this issue and no change so far. Shouldn't be a big issue but for some reason Apple haven't implemented this feature yet.