Confidential Apple files exposed to public in misconfigured Box account

Posted:
in General Discussion
A poor configuration of the cloud storage service Box has left sensitive data open to viewing by unauthorized users, security researchers have discovered, with Apple and other prominent companies found to have inadvertently left files and folders accessible to the public.

Box

Cloud storage services tout security alongside the ability to easily share data with other users or to the public, but using such services are usually accompanied by the risk of a breach by online criminals, something that firms work to prevent. Even so, a breach isn't necessarily needed for data to be accessed by unwanted parties, as sometimes it can simply be a poor configuration.

Researchers from cybersecurity firm Adversis have discovered numerous major customers of Box Enterprise are risking their data by taking advantage of the sharing functionality of the service, reports TechCrunch. In researching the problem, hundreds of thousands of documents and terabytes of data were found to be accessible from the storage of hundreds of Box's clients.

The issue lay in the way that files could be shared by links on custom domains. Once a link was found, it was possible for researchers to discover other secret links on a subdomain by brute force.

According to Adversis, Box advised account administrators configure shared link default access to "people in your company" to minimize exposure to the public. Running a regular shared link report would help discover active links that could be deactivated over time, and recommends that users do not create public custom shared links to content "that is not intended for public consumption."

Data discovered by the firm includes passport photos, bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, passwords, lists of employees, and assorted financial and customer data. In the case of Apple, it was found to have several folders exposed containing "non-sensitive internal data," like log files and price lists.

Other identified firms include Amadeus, Discovery, Herbalife, Edelman, Pointcare, and Box itself. Since the reporting of the issue, all the identified companies have reconfigured their enterprise accounts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    This is why Apple and other companies should make their OWN secure storage for their employees internal documents. 
    edited March 2019 agmsrGooeyGUItoysandmewatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The whole thing smells fake.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    This is why Apple and other companies should make their OWN secure storage for their employees internal documents. 
    You'd get the same result by using Box but preventing external sharing wouldn't you?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    Not good for Box. But this story will likely fade away pretty quickly. If "Dropbox" was in the headline, it would likely grow legs and dance.
    toysandme
  • Reply 5 of 17
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I thought years ago iWork was going to become a competitor of Office 365, and have a business push.  But, unfortunately the effort died...

Apple creating their own OneDrive or Sharepoint equivalent never happened... (which would have been cool)

But, I doubt anything really confidential of Apples would have been on Box.  It was probably marketing stuff, like Apple's “Shot on iPhone” photo contest...

• Reply 6 of 17
    It cost's almost nothing to purchase a web domain and to set it up. I can buy a raspberry Pi for $5, and all the modules to build a small personalized cloud app for me to host files to.

Tell me again why Apple can't provide their own solution to this if I can build one in a basic *unix environment for almost nothing with not much thought? Much less using a third-party like Box for "confidential" documents?

I'm just scratching my head over here trying to figure this one out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    If they still have the crative minds to design a new ARM chip to compete with Intel, then building an internal cloud storage platform should be babytown frolics.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The whole thing smells fake.
    We've confirmed it with Box.
    gatorguytoysandme
  • Reply 9 of 17
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Why isn't Apple using iCloud? Warren Buffett called it "eating your own dog food".
    toysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    kestral said:
    Why isn't Apple using iCloud? Warren Buffett called it "eating your own dog food".
    To my knowledge, iCloud doesn’t have the same capabilities as Box. Box has a ton of flexibility and power in terms of sharing, permissions, etc. but configuring it wasn’t the easiest when I used it last. It would have been pretty easy to misconfigure and have a security breach. Still, this is a pretty big miss by someone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    You'd get the same result by using Box but preventing external sharing wouldn't you?
    Would you use someone else’s safe to keep sensitive stuff in?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 12 of 17
    kestral said:
    Apple has always stated that iCloud is not for enterprise, only for consumer info.  They don’t want to risk liability in case a company does use iCloud for storing priceless sensitive information. 

• Reply 13 of 17

MplsP said:
    kestral said:
    To my knowledge, iCloud doesn’t have the same capabilities as Box. Box has a ton of flexibility and power in terms of sharing, permissions, etc. but configuring it wasn’t the easiest when I used it last. It would have been pretty easy to misconfigure and have a security breach. Still, this is a pretty big miss by someone. 
    So true. Box also has some glitches that can make your stuff disappear. Especially after confirming it had backed up your info. 

• Reply 14 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    But, I doubt anything really confidential of Apples would have been on Box.  It was probably marketing stuff, like Apple's “Shot on iPhone” photo contest...
    The article already says what was and was not in it: Nothing sensitive. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    kestral said:
    What I want to know is why Apple isn’t eating its own dog food in the server space that *makes* iCloud. iCloud is all PC hardware and Linux, right? Apple even abandoned pros like... themselves?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Apple employees can and do use iCloud internally, but they warn you not to use it for sensitive projects due to the fact that iCloud replicates everywhere.  Actual sensitive projects (new products, research, etc...) are hosted on a wide variety of internal-only apps.  Some are homegrown, some are off-the-shelf enterprise services that you'd recognize, but they were made to work only on the company network or over VPN.  As for Box ... these links were probably just shared public like you can do with Dropbox, Egnyte, etc...  Box @ Apple requires SSO, meaning you can't access anything without an active Apple account.  Source: I used to work at the fruit stand, corporate side.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 17 of 17
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Would you use someone else’s safe to keep sensitive stuff in?
    Like a bank, you mean?