AppleCare - how does it work? ibook power outage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all,

i am having trouble with my newer ibook. i came home today and it had shut off from lack of power. I checked the power cord and i dont have a light on the end of the cord where it plugs into the ibook. On the new ibooks ( i think they are refered to as snow? i have the 800mhz one ) and when the battery is charged its green and when charging its orange. well i get neither light and the battery symbol on the apple bar is not registering it plugged in.

how does the applecare work? i think its the power adapter as the ibook battery lights up from the bottom and i can turn on the ibook and it boots but then once in os x it tells me the power is low and it needs to shut down. so does apple have to send me one? will i have to send mine back first? can i run down to an apple store and swap it out? i am not going to have to send in the book am i? i really cant be with out my machine a few days, as i have made a complete transition away from win and linux. well any advice as to what to expect or try is greatly appreciated. Thanks. : )

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: greeneggsaregood ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Go to the Apple Store.

They'll be able to help determine the cause of your problem. If you just need an adapter they should be able to swap it on the spot.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>Go to the Apple Store.

They'll be able to help determine the cause of your problem. If you just need an adapter they should be able to swap it on the spot.

Good luck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yup this is the best solution.

however, you should know that the problem could be internally in the iBook as well. In the beginning of the year my PB would get abnormally hot, and got to a point where it would not take a charge. of course i realized this when i still had battery life left so I was able to troubleshoot it over the phone with apple. since you have no power, you will need to go to an apple store to get diagnosed
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ok since i am going to take it to the apple store tomorrow, i need to know one thing

i did the hack a few months ago for the monitor spanning, do i need to flash the pvram or whatever its called before i take it in there? do they check for stuff like that when you take it in?

Thanks again

[ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: greeneggsaregood ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]In the beginning of the year my PB would get abnormally hot, and got to a point where it would not take a charge. of course i realized this when i still had battery life left so I was able to troubleshoot it over the phone with apple. since you have no power, you will need to go to an apple store to get diagnosed[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

I have power enough to turn it on for a few minutes

it seems to work fine but is just low on power.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by greeneggsaregood:

<strong>i did the hack a few months ago for the monitor spanning, do i need to flash the pvram or whatever its called before i take it in there? do they check for stuff like that when you take it in?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i doubt they will check, but dont mention it...

hopefully it is just the power adapter... :-/
  • Reply 6 of 6
    applestore is your best bet. they'd never notice the hack, don't worry about it.

-alcimedes