QuickTime "recording stopped: Try recording again” error

Posted:
in Mac Software

Greetings,

I am attempting to help research staff who are using QuickTime to video record research participants. For the recording, they are using a video camera that is connected via USB to a MacBook Pro laptop (13-inch Retina MacBook Pro with TouchID (Mid 2017)).

Often, QuickTime will stop recording and display an error of "recording stopped: Try recording again” (much like that in the image below).

The recording stops anywhere after 10 minutes to an hour.

I have been able to replicate this issue using a completely different computer (an iMac) with a clean install of Mohave with nothing installed (post clean install).

The iMac that I am currently testing with has the following specifications:

• iMac Intel (Retina 5k, 27 inch, late 2015; 3.20 GHz Intel Core i5; 16 Gb memory; 250 Gb hard drive (219 Gbs free currently))
  • Mac OS 10.14.3 (Mohave)
  • QuickTime 10.5 (v.928.50.1)

I am testing with a Logitech HD Webcam C270 connected via USB.

I have disabled 'Power Nap' and 'Put Hard drive to sleep when possible' settings in the Energy Saver System Preferences and continue troubleshooting. The error appears whether these options are enabled or not.

Finally, the problem seems to appear more often if the computer hasn’t been on for at least an hour. But, not always.

Thoughts?

Denis