Apple engineer who led development of A7 through A12X chip cores departs company

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
A key Apple engineer responsible for leading development teams working on proprietary processor core designs has left the company after nine years of service, according to a report on Friday.

A7
Apple's A7 SoC debuted as the world's first 64-bit mobile processor.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, CNET reports Gerard Williams III vacated his seat as Apple's senior director in platform architecture in February.

Williams joined the company in 2010 after a 12-year stint at ARM, where he worked as a fellow on various projects including the development of legacy ARM chips, as well as Cortex-A8, Cortex-A15 and next-generation processor technology. Prior to ARM, the engineer was design team lead at Texas Instruments, where he assisted in the development of the TI TMS470 micro-controller program, according to his LinkedIn profile.

At Apple, Williams spearheaded core design for in-house Apple chips like the A7, which debuted in iPhone 5s as the world's first 64-bit mobile processor.

"Chief Architect for all Apple CPU and SOC development. For CPU, lead the Cyclone, Typhoon, Twister, Hurricane, Monsoon, and Vortex architecture work. And everyday, I still work on very very cool stuff," Williams writes in his LinkedIn bio.

Building on the A7's success, Apple has gone on to release multiple A-series chip generations, each with Williams helming core design. More recently, Williams' duties expanded to encompass not only the processor core, but also the layout of components on Apple's system-on-chip silicon, the report said. The escalation in responsibility came with the departure of SoC architect Manu Gulati, who left Apple for a similar role at Google in 2017.

A now-former report to SVP of Hardware Technologies Johny Srouji, considered the mastermind behind Apple's in-house chip team, Williams leaves a significant hole in the company's executive lineup.

The reason for Williams' departure is unknown. According to CNET sources, the engineer has yet to take a position at another company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    Those are big shoes to fill. Wonder why he left.
    GeorgeBMacnetmageqwwerawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 53
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member
    MisterKit said:
    Those are big shoes to fill. Wonder why he left.
    Apparently he was promised an Airpower but it's not coming to market so he's had enough...
    tjwolfrandominternetpersonMisterKitcalisurfboyelectrosoftDanManTXmichelb76GeorgeBMac[Deleted User]neilm
  • Reply 3 of 53
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Better part of a decade is a haul for bright people to be in one place. I'd probably be ready for something different too.
    StrangeDaysmichelb76JWSCravnorodomqwweraasdasd
  • Reply 4 of 53
    cornchip said:
    Better part of a decade is a haul for bright people to be in one place. I'd probably be ready for something different too.
    I don’t think it’s about money, these kind of talent and experience can command what they wanted. He probably got bored...doing sameness 
    racerhomie3qwweracornchip
  • Reply 5 of 53
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    cornchip said:
    I don’t think it’s about money, these kind of talent and experience can command what they wanted. He probably got bored...doing sameness 
    Still a lot to do with respect to GPU, wireless technologies, AI, ML
    GeorgeBMacqwwerawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 53
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    It's possible that the things he is particularly specializing in with core design are done (inasmuch as Apple is likely going to leave ARM chips behind at some point as well) or he didn't fit well with the total SoC team, or a million other possibilities.

As for the other work you point out above, those are handled by other people and/or companies; they're not something Williams would have done except overseeing integration, most likely. Anyway, I'm glad Apple had such talent on the team -- they did truly amazing work. Sorry that two key people have left recently (first Gulati and now Williams), but I'm confident Apple can attract or promote new people into those roles, and carry on hopefully as well or better going forward.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 7 of 53
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    cornchip said:
    A few years ago I heard one engineer left silicon valley because he felt culturally unfit due to large population of Asian engineers. Apple may have exceptionally higher percentage of white engineers. Still during weekend you have less cultural events like his home county. This is probably why the marketing vp chose to leave. 
  • Reply 8 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    A key Apple engineer responsible for leading development teams working on proprietary processor core designs has left the company after nine years of service, according to a report on Friday.

A7
    Apple's A7 SoC debuted as the world's first 64-bit mobile processor.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, CNET reports Gerard Williams III vacated his seat as Apple's senior director in platform architecture in February.

Williams joined the company in 2010 after a 12-year stint at ARM, where he worked as a fellow on various projects including the development of legacy ARM chips, as well as Cortex-A8, Cortex-A15 and next-generation processor technology. Prior to ARM, the engineer was design team lead at Texas Instruments, where he assisted in the development of the TI TMS470 micro-controller program, according to his LinkedIn profile.

At Apple, Williams spearheaded core design for in-house Apple chips like the A7, which debuted in iPhone 5s as the world's first 64-bit mobile processor.

"Chief Architect for all Apple CPU and SOC development. For CPU, lead the Cyclone, Typhoon, Twister, Hurricane, Monsoon, and Vortex architecture work. And everyday, I still work on very very cool stuff," Williams writes in his LinkedIn bio.

Building on the A7's success, Apple has gone on to release multiple A-series chip generations, each with Williams helming core design. More recently, Williams' duties expanded to encompass not only the processor core, but also the layout of components on Apple's system-on-chip silicon, the report said. The escalation in responsibility came with the departure of SoC architect Manu Gulati, who left Apple for a similar role at Google in 2017.

A now-former report to SVP of Hardware Technologies Johny Srouji, considered the mastermind behind Apple's in-house chip team, Williams leaves a significant hole in the company's executive lineup.

The reason for Williams' departure is unknown. According to CNET sources, the engineer has yet to take a position at another company.
    He took over from Jim Keller, who left Apple for AMD, then Tesla, and lately, Intel. It will be interesting to see who Apple picks up as a replacement.
    qwweracornchip
  • Reply 9 of 53
    mike54 said:
    I hope he enjoys his next move.
    Many prominent talented people have left and size of what were once key teams have been reduced  under the reign of Tim Cook.
    If you don't take this announcement in isolation and look at what's been happening over the last 6 years, you'll notice that Apple is a very different company now and with a changing culture and environment with different priorities. Many are fine with this new Apple as it still makes high profits, but for me, its not the direction I want to see Apple go down.
    Google is building their own custom SoC team as well.  Don't be surprised if he ends up there.  The last prominent Apple chip designer that left ended up there.
    qwwera
  • Reply 10 of 53
    chasm said:
    It's possible that the things he is particularly specializing in with core design are done (inasmuch as Apple is likely going to leave ARM chips behind at some point as well) or he didn't fit well with the total SoC team, or a million other possibilities.

As for the other work you point out above, those are handled by other people and/or companies; they're not something Williams would have done except overseeing integration, most likely. Anyway, I'm glad Apple had such talent on the team -- they did truly amazing work. Sorry that two key people have left recently (first Gulati and now Williams), but I'm confident Apple can attract or promote new people into those roles, and carry on hopefully as well or better going forward.
    He was there for 9 years.  If he didn't get along with the rest of the SoC teams, good chance he would've left long before that.
    netmagecornchipmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 53
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    The engineer’s name deserves to be known and remembered.
    davgregMisterKit1stcornchipviclauyyc
  • Reply 12 of 53
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    I know that the actual work that is related to a job title varies somewhat between companies, but based on my experience the "director" position is a very difficult and thankless role to fill for some technologists and engineers. When someone comes up through the engineering ranks, and especially those who are involved in design and architecture, the focus of the job is very much one of being a visionary and evangelist and one who is deeply invested in the creation and advancement of the technological foundation for a wide range of company products, a foundation that you probably helped create. This type of work tends to be very technically challenging, fulfilling, rewarding, and project-goal focused. Sure, everyone has deadlines and demanding requirements hanging over their head, but when you're at a senior technical contributor or lead engineer level you have a solid grasp on what it takes to keep things moving forward and you have a team behind you who share the common purpose.

However, at the director level things become much more execution, delivery, and operationally focused. You still have to be plugged into the technical solution, but you also have to answer to VPs and SVPs, commit to delivery schedules, and deal with long term staffing and budget concerns across many teams. The visionary part and having time to delve deeply into the technology may be a nice side interest, but you'd better meet the dates and keep everyone on track from a spending basis. Some engineers like doing this kind of work, but the rewards are much different and some people realize it's not nearly as rewarding as they hoped it would be, despite the big bump in pay. I've found that senior engineers with the track record and focus of Gerard Williams III do not tend to be influenced much, if at all, by pay increases. They are opportunity driven. It's all about what they get to work on, how excited they are by the work they do, how large of an impact they can make, and the people they get to work with on a daily basis. You're not going to poach these guys by offering them 15% more pay. You'd better be offering them an opportunity to put a dent in something important, maybe not the universe, but at least a solar system. 

xamaxwilliamhpbruttolostkiwirotateleftbyteJWSCelijahg
  • Reply 13 of 53
    mike54 said:
    I hope he enjoys his next move.
    Many prominent talented people have left and size of what were once key teams have been reduced  under the reign of Tim Cook.
    If you don't take this announcement in isolation and look at what's been happening over the last 6 years, you'll notice that Apple is a very different company now and with a changing culture and environment with different priorities. Many are fine with this new Apple as it still makes high profits, but for me, its not the direction I want to see Apple go down.
    True, we have seen stories about dozens of people who have left in recent years.  Guess what?  Apple has also hired thousands of people during that same time period.  Without access to propriety HR People Dept. data we have no way of knowing how team sizes have changed over time.  I expect the "culture and environment" of Apple is quite stable (as it is a every large organization in existence).
    JWSCStrangeDaystmaymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 53
    I wonder how this will affect the possibility of there ever being an ARM based Mac. All the years of rumors and now the top brain is leaving.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 53
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Maybe he decided working at a company turning from computers and software to TV shows and credit cards was not a good fit.
    pbruttobaconstangElCapitanelijahgboredumbmonstrosity
  • Reply 16 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    MisterKit said:
    I wonder how this will affect the possibility of there ever being an ARM based Mac. All the years of rumors and now the top brain is leaving.
    Hopefully Tim Cook has Mark Papermaster still in his contacts. 
    qwwera
  • Reply 17 of 53
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    davgreg said:
    Maybe he decided working at a company turning from computers and software to TV shows and credit cards was not a good fit.

Not sure why you felt the need to make that bold. Apple is not turning its back on hardware or its software. Today's hardware and software is the best they've ever had, for the most part. Sure, sometimes their new designs don't work out as they hope, but that's the path of trial and error. The real fault in their product development is how slowly it goes, so problems like keyboards failing remain in people's minds for a long time until the next iteration, which can be 1, 2 or 3 years later. If Apple only sped up its release schedule for individual products, they'd be able to address those issues in a more timely fashion.

netmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Leaders of departments don't develop the actual products, folks. I know my former company. They are extremely high level and manage the assets and have weekly report meetings with key members. That's it.

A little, FYI, several of my fellow NeXT alum have returned to Apple of late--especially Engineering to ``fix'' stuff.

edited March 2019 randominternetpersonmacxpressJWSCStrangeDayscornchipelijahgboredumb
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Props to this guy and hope he left on good terms. He has certainly done a lot for the company.
    lostkiwiqwwera
  • Reply 20 of 53
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Fix stuff like keyboards?
    qwwera