Moved: iPods, iTunes3, and AAC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Chaps,

iTunes3 does not seem to support the AAC codec - at least not for encoding. (Anyone with QuickTimePro6 try encoding an AIFF with AAC and see if iTunes can play it?). Do you reckon this was because the iPods could not be programmed to handle AAC decoding?

Does anyone know any information regarding AAC in iTunes and iPods? Do the iPods have any hardware MP3 decoding built in or is it all done in software on the StrongARMs? If it is the latter, then why does Apple not upgrade to a superior Codec? Is it something to do with royalties?

Steve Jobs went through a lot of trouble actually demonstrating the advantages of AAC in his keynote. This seems odd if it only going to be a relatively small feature of QuickTime.

CGI

[ 07-20-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i would say that it is probably a feature yet to come. I would say it's actually quite a bit better to stick with MP3 for the time being, since it is still the preferred format for "sharing".
  • Reply 2 of 3
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    [quote]Originally posted by pesi:

<strong>i would say that it is probably a feature yet to come. I would say it's actually quite a bit better to stick with MP3 for the time being, since it is still the preferred format for "sharing".</strong><hr></blockquote>

nothing wrong w/ having them both as options...

transition requires it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Moving to the Digital Hub.