Apple slips one spot to seventh on LinkedIn's top companies of 2019 list

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
LinkedIn has just released its annual list of the most sought employers and includes Apple at number seven -- down one spot from the previous year.

LinkedIn Top Companies 2019
LinkedIn top companies 2019

LinkedIn notes that tech companies continue to be in strong demand, with half of the top companies come from that industryAlphabet, Facebook, Amazon, Salesforce, Deloitte, and Uber all beat out Apple in the remaining top six spots on the list.

Apple's headcount globally has buoyed from 123,000 to 132,000, according to LinkedIn. Engineering, IT, and sales were the three categories with the most new hires in 2019. More hires are expected to continue as Apple plans to create 20,000 new jobs over the next five years.

To create their annual Top Companies list, LinkedIn users actions, and data collected from their 546+ million members across the world. They analyze actual user actions including job demand from job postings, engagement with the company, interest in its employees, and retention.

Unlike last year, LinkedIn did not include particular reasons or perks as of why employees were drawn to Apple. Previously, LinkedIn cited Apple's maternity leave policy of 18 weeks for new moms, six weeks for dads, willingness to freeze eggs for those who prefer to defer parenthood, and the 25 percent discount on the company's devices as compelling reasons to join the iPhone and Mac maker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Perfect troll fodder. Thanks AI! Okay, haters, let’s hear all the reasons for the “drop” and how Apple is no longer fit to work for. 
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 2 of 25

I care about LinkedIn surveys as much as Elvis Presley possibly still being alive.

edited April 2019
  • Reply 3 of 25
    ArszyArszy Posts: 13member
    LinkedIn is owned by Microsoft, so there's the reason.  ;) 
  • Reply 4 of 25
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Better be LinkedOut.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Arszy said:
    They could at least have put themselves in in the top 5 then. Silly company. 
    muthuk_vanalingamtyler82
  • Reply 6 of 25
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    lkrupp said:
    Perfect troll fodder. Thanks AI! Okay, haters, let’s hear all the reasons for the “drop” and how Apple is no longer fit to work for. 
    That is a binarist, somewhat childish assumption in a 100k+ corp. It very much depends on where, and under what regime/circumstances. I can imagine that as a shop employee, in logistics, marketing, provisioning... you can have a great, even lifetime employment. But then, e.g. as a young designer, it must be quite frustrating to see so many pilots for new designs being denied higher up on the corporate ladder, looking at the pace of development now. Imagine what it must be in 2019, to see that the company returns to the iPad (Mini) design of 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 with homebutton/huge bezels etc. that you just had innovated away. Same for several innovative/IT/high tech positions. Imagine 10k patents on the shelf not being pursued or products being denied somewhere during the development cycle - including the one you worked on... Imagine as a design engineer, finding out that the development hurdles for creating a modular Mac Pro are being solved in a week/month or so in small tech companies on Chinese streetcorners. Try to think by yourself - working in a 132k employee company will undoubtedly result in many happy minds but an incumbent (i.e. merely defensive) strategy does not always appeal to the mere creative minds. Which has more to do with a giant global company than with trolling - but you’re welcome to think otherwise.
    edited April 2019 chemengin
  • Reply 7 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Arszy said:
    And yet MS isn't even in the list of 50 companies? It's almost as if MS created this list honestly and fairly based on statistical data.
    gatorguyJWSCmuthuk_vanalingamtyler82
  • Reply 8 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    Arszy said:
    And yet MS isn't even in the list of 50 companies? It's almost as if MS created this list honestly and fairly based on statistical data.
     :) 
  • Reply 9 of 25
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Mark my words, LinkedIn will take Apple down...

:p 
    JWSC
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Latko said:
    lkrupp said:
    That is a binarist, somewhat childish assumption in a 100k+ corp. It very much depends on where, and under what regime/circumstances. I can imagine that as a shop employee, in logistics, marketing, provisioning... you can have a great, even lifetime employment. But then, e.g. as a young designer, it must be quite frustrating to see so many pilots for new designs being denied higher up on the corporate ladder, looking at the pace of development now. Imagine what it must be in 2019, to see that the company returns to the iPad (Mini) design of 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 with homebutton/huge bezels etc. that you just had innovated away. Same for several innovative/IT/high tech positions. Imagine 10k patents on the shelf not being pursued or products being denied somewhere during the development cycle - including the one you worked on... Imagine as a design engineer, finding out that the development hurdles for creating a modular Mac Pro are being solved in a week/month or so in small tech companies on Chinese streetcorners. Try to think by yourself - working in a 132k employee company will undoubtedly result in many happy minds but an incumbent (i.e. merely defensive) strategy does not always appeal to the mere creative minds. Which has more to do with a giant global company than with trolling - but you’re welcome to think otherwise.
    ROFLMAO
  • Reply 11 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Latko said:
    lkrupp said:
    Bahahahah... Yes, generic PC clones on chinese street corners are the same as Mac Pros. Same use cases, designs, and solutions. Good one, thanks for he laugh. Stay thirsty, my friend!
    JWSClkrupp
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    Latko said:
    lkrupp said:
    Bahahahah... Yes, generic PC clones on chinese street corners are the same as Mac Pros. Same use cases, designs, and solutions. Good one, thanks for he laugh. Stay thirsty, my friend!
    I’ve built a couple of Hackintosh that run faster and at a cheaper price than Mac Pros. I’m sorry but Macs are overpriced, and nowhere near as useful as a PC that runs Windows. Stay delusional, my friend.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I didn’t know we cared about popularity contests.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Johan42 said:
    Latko said:
    lkrupp said:
    I’ve built a couple of Hackintosh that run faster and at a cheaper price than Mac Pros. I’m sorry but Macs are overpriced, and nowhere near as useful as a PC that runs Windows. Stay delusional, my friend.
    Then why are you here?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Who the heck would want to work at Uber?  I've never heard anything positive about their corporate culture.  Presumably driving for Uber doesn't "count" since they aren't employees, so that leaves corporate and IT jobs.  I suppose their self-driving car work is interesting and cutting edge, but the rest...?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Johan42 said:
    Latko said:
    lkrupp said:
    "nowhere near as useful as a PC that runs Windows."

LOL.  If you said that (in your opinion) Macs aren't worth the (perceived) cost premium over a WinTel box, you'd at least sound rational.  At the end of the day a Mac can do 99% of what a Windows PC can do and vice versa.  Many would argue that Macs are easier to use and more reliable, but to suggest that Macs are radically less "useful" than a PC is simply delusional.
    JWSC
  • Reply 17 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    From 0 to 60 (Apple Defense and Shit Slinging) in near record time. Never change, AI loons. 

LinkedIn are very well placed to gather such data, and 7th place is very respectable. Good show Apple, and also to the 6 places that are even better to work for, even though your other business practices may be less admirable (I’m particularly looking at you, Uber and Facebook).
    edited April 2019 chemengin
  • Reply 18 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    crowley said:
    From 0 to 60 (Apple Defense and Shit Slinging) in near record time. Never change, AI loons. 

LinkedIn are very well placed to gather such data, and 7th place is very respectable. Good show Apple, and also to the 6 places that are even better to work for, even though your other business practices may be less admirable (I’m particularly looking at you, Uber and Facebook).

LOL I doubt anyone will break your record...
    • Apple Defense: "7th place is very respectable. Good show Apple"
    • Shit Slinging: "your other business practices may be less admirable (I’m particularly looking at you, Uber and Facebook)"
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Latko said:
    lkrupp said:
    Hilarious indeed - with the only difference being some proprietary, non-standard HW mainly designed to preserve the walled garden.
    Which by now, is mostly impacting Apple itself trying to stay relevant, as hardly anyone else is interested in a market segment that they lamented & orphaned themselves so much it hardly matters anymore.
    That scale-down strategy (initiated at Phil’s lower backside...) is hilarious & adverse as the last price-conscious enthusiasts left will find their ways around it and build their Hackintosh themselves anyway, leaving Apple for what it is...
    Bahahahah <=  insert a big Cookette banana 
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Johan42 said:
    Latko said:
    lkrupp said:
    "nowhere near as useful as a PC that runs Windows."

LOL.  If you said that (in your opinion) Macs aren't worth the (perceived) cost premium over a WinTel box, you'd at least sound rational.  At the end of the day a Mac can do 99% of what a Windows PC can do and vice versa.  Many would argue that Macs are easier to use and more reliable, but to suggest that Macs are radically less "useful" than a PC is simply delusional.
    This very much depends on the use case.
    But media-oriented SW devs by now tend to adopt Wintel-first development as that’s where the main market is by now.
    Final Cut Pro being the notable exception
    edited April 2019