Apple's Tim Cook calls sports a 'great unifier' in call to ESPN

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2019
Apple CEO Tim Cook took a break from running the world's most valuable company on Thursday to call in to ESPN for quick chat about his alma mater Auburn University, whose basketball team is heading to the NCAA Final Four for the first time.

Cook
Apple CEO Tim Cook at Auburn University in 2014.

Cook reached out to "The Paul Finebaum Show" on ESPN's SEC Network to surprise host Paul Finebaum, who can be seen in the clip below fielding a call from Auburn fan "Tim from Cupertino"

"Paul, how are you?" Cook asked before repeating Auburn's battle cry, "War Eagle!"

Finebaum immediately recognized Cook as "not just some Tim," but the CEO of Apple and "everyone's favorite Auburn fan."

"CEOs are people, too. They love sports, too!"

Tim from Cupertino (AKA @tim_cook, CEO of Apple) had to call Paul @finebaum today to discuss @AuburnMBB making the #FinalFour pic.twitter.com/ISLCYyFOQI

-- ESPN PR (@ESPNPR)

During the short exchange, Finebaum asked whether athletics enters the conversation at major corporations.

"Yeah, I think sports is still a great unifier," Cook said. "So it's one thing that we can all rally around, and people put their other interests aside to either fight the other side or to hopefully join forces. Yeah, of course, sports always comes up. CEOs are people too, they love sports too."

Cook and Finebaum went on to discuss Auburn's basketball program, specifically Tiger's head coach Bruce Pearl, who took the job in 2014 after a five-year run at Tennessee.

"@coachbrucepearl has energized the program like no one I've ever seen in Auburn's history. He's brought the basketball team to be a contender and we're all proud of him."

-- @tim_cook on @finebaum pic.twitter.com/mEUUa3N2Kv

-- SEC Network (@SECNetwork)

Auburn is on its way to the Final Four after upsetting Tennessee in the SEC championship in March, a stunning victory followed up by a run in the NCAA tournament that culminated in an overtime victory over Kentucky this past weekend.

Cook is an unabashed sports fan who can sometimes be found on the sidelines of Tigers football games or court-side at Duke University, where he earned an MBA from the Fuqua School of Business. The executive is a longtime supporter of his alma maters, having delivered commencement addresses at both Auburn and Duke in the past decade. In 2014, Cook received a lifetime achievement award from the Auburn University Alumni Association.

Most recently, Cook in 2017 visited Auburn to speak about inclusion, diversity and other human rights issues in a talk hosted by the university's Student Government Association.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Ugh. Sports is a great scam. A bunch of wealthy people getting richer while people cheer for logos while the players are switched out. Often promised fame. But one injury and those players are sidelined and left with bills and no figure. 
    LatkoDAalsethdewme78Banditdysamoriacornchip
  • Reply 2 of 18
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    As I mentioned in an earlier forum post, the full call (audio) is available via the show’s podcast, 4/4/2019, Hour 4, starting around the eight-minute mark.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    War Eagle Tim!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    War Eagle Tim!
    Tim Auburn
    beowulfschmidtcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 18
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Ugh. Sports is a great scam. A bunch of wealthy people getting richer while people cheer for logos while the players are switched out. Often promised fame. But one injury and those players are sidelined and left with bills and no figure. 
    Most of these principles hold for Apple (which seems a great unifier) => we probably should be grateful with billionaires that want to unify everything beneath themselves
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 6 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Broadly speaking I’m with David Malcolm on the issue of pro sports, and haven’t much use for them, but that doesn’t mean TIm Cook isn’t right about them. It’s one of those things (like my outside interests which don’t have to do with sports) that brings disparate people from all walks of life together, and that is ultimately a society good thing — especially on the lower rungs of the sports ladder. Neighbourhoods bond over community sports, parents and students make friends via the sportsball games (or the robotics competition, if that’s your interest), and so forth. Anything that gets people interacting with other people not necessarily exactly like them and fosters a sense of community is, especially these days, much needed.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Says the non-sports fan. I don't cheer for a logo, I cheer for a team, players, and a place with which I have a connection. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Says the non-sports fan. I don't cheer for a logo, I cheer for a team, players, and a place with which I have a connection. 
    Agree. Of course sports can be great, dep. on your perspective like all other things in the world... Do we really need need platitudes from Mr. Cook (particularly from a gay person, to whom sports isn’t universally unifying at all, sadly yet...) Sports in a single word is...competition => let Cook concentrate on that, in his business.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 9 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    "Yeah, I think sports is still a great unifier," Cook said. "So it's one thing that we can all rally around,..."
    Well, not for me. I outgrew sports when I was a kid. It is just of no interest to me now.
    charlesatlasdysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Good for you. A great many fans cheer for teams that they're nowhere near, in places they have never been to. And does your loyalty to a player persist if that player has been traded to an opposing team?

Professional sports is dumb. Whether a bunch of overpaid, grown men win or lose any given game doesn't affect my life at all, so I don't pay any attention. At the end of the day, that's all they are: games.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    DAalseth said:
    "Yeah, I think sports is still a great unifier," Cook said. "So it's one thing that we can all rally around,..."
    Well, not for me. I outgrew sports when I was a kid. It is just of no interest to me now.
    That's a bit sad because sports could be a great unifier if more non-professionals participated just for the purpose of having some healthy fun and friendly social interaction. The hyper-focus on professional sports, whether at the collegiate level or sports-as-a-product level, can get unhealthy and take away from matters that should demand equal attention of the public. How many major US cities have been coerced into using public funding to keep a professional sports team from leaving the city when local businesses with greater economic impact are basically ignored?

Professional sports is at its roots just another form of spectator-based entertainment that serves to temporarily distract us from the mundane realities of real life. Going to a sports performance is no different than going to a movie, the circus, the zoo, the symphony, or in the case of E-sports, watching some nerds play video games against one another. Nothing at all wrong with getting a dose of distraction every once in a while. But it's still just a product with brands and fans of those brands. People like rallying around brands that they have developed an affinity for through some sort of personal connection. Nothing serves to create a personal connection better than putting a city, state, or university name on the product. Heck, with state colleges you get tremendous support from people throughout the state, most of whom never even attended the university. But having the state in the name makes it "their team" and nearly everyone wants to part of something bigger than themselves, whether it's totally fabricated or not.

But what the hell, we're all fans of something, whether it's Apple computers, Auburn University basketball team, Manchester United Football club, Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey team, Barnum & Bailey Circus, The Avengers series of movies, Republican Party, Democratic Party, etc. People want to belong and sports fills that need better that just about anything for a vast number of people. My only beef is whether sports deserves to consume 33% of the daily "news" coverage, with breaking news stories about local team player acquisitions, and other such trivial nonsense displacing stories and coverage that matters to our personal and community wellbeing. This is really too much to think about ... I think I'll go watch ESPN for a few hours to calm myself down. 
  • Reply 12 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Unifier.  Yeah right Tim 

Latkodysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Sports unifies people in the notion that some like it, and some not.
    cornchiphmurchison
  • Reply 14 of 18
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    Sports is a unifier in the sense that it can give people something to chit-chat about and fill in dead space.  Kind of like talking about the weather, or what happened on Game of Thrones, or any other topic of general interest.

On the other hand, some people can take it way too far.  The director in my organization is a rabid fan of one particular university.  He consistently says "we" when referring to how the team played.  He ordered the office space to be painted and carpeted in colors that closely match the team colors.  The logo of our organization is based on the team logo.  The list goes on and on.  In that case, sports has proven to be a divisive subject as it is rammed down the throat of those that don't care, and fans of other schools feels like they are being marginalized.

My personal opinion is competitive sports needs to be separated from educational institutions.  They are nothing but feeder leagues for the NFL, NBA, and MLB.  Do like most other countries and let the local sports programs stand on their own rather than tying them to public institutions.
    dewme
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Although I've played plenty of sports, I'm not into watching them, at all. But jesus do we need something besides politics for people to get their tribal fix in.

Just look at previous posts for examples of absurd, race/class SJW virtue signaling, which ultimately leads to more divisiveness, not less.

If sports is the answer, I'll (reluctantly) accept it.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 18
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    Latko said:
    Agree. Of course sports can be great, dep. on your perspective like all other things in the world... Do we really need need platitudes from Mr. Cook (particularly from a gay person, to whom sports isn’t universally unifying at all, sadly yet...) Sports in a single word is...competition => let Cook concentrate on that, in his business.
    Wtf dude. Where do you get your gay stereotypes from?? Step outside your world and consider that not all straight guys love sports either. There are gay sport lovers, players and fans. Tim is a sports fan, deal with it. And while you’re at it, redefine more inclusively your idea of what it means to be a man. You’ve just diminished yourself with that comment.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 18
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    A great unifier? Is this opposites day?? Sports is a social “us vs them”-ifier. Like nationalism, it is a great catalyst for divisive thinking: irrational support of one group and hate of others. It’s a catalyst for acts of combative, competitive arrogance.

Also: if you scream at sports on TV when you live in a shared space (apartments, condos, row houses), you’re an inconsiderate jerk (as well as an irrational armchair referee; shut up and go play the game yourself). Being forced to listen to neighbors shouting at sports on TV generates divisiveness itself (ie: sports fans seem like selfish jerks).
    hmurchison
  • Reply 18 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    My favorite sports-related quote from my own life:

"I HOPE I NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN!!!"