Healthcare an opportunity for Apple to 'lead digital disruption' versus rivals

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2019
Whereas Apple's other recent service announcements are in well-trodden ground, the company "has the potential to lead digital disruption" with healthcare, Morgan Stanley analysts claimed on Monday.

Apple Watch Series 4

"The central investor debate on the stock is whether Apple can better monetize its 1.4 billion-device installed base in an increasingly crowded mobile services market," the firm said in a research report. "Healthcare is both large - $3.5 trillion addressable US market - and nascent in its digital transformation. So, unlike recent announcements on news, gaming, video, and payments, where Apple is joining existing competitors, healthcare is a market where Apple has the potential to lead digital disruption - much like what iTunes did for music or the App Store for mobile services."

Apple's healthcare strategy "appears to aim for an ecosystem that puts the consumer at the center," it continued. It pointed not just to the Apple Watch, HealthKit, and the iOS Health App, but also ResearchKit and CareKit -- which while nominally meant for medical professionals are fundamentally tied into patients' Apple devices.

"Although others have greater capability in artificial intelligence (Google), voice (Amazon), and enterprise cloud (Microsoft), we think Apple's advantages include its outsized user base - particularly in wearables, a proven services platform, and trust as a steward of data privacy.

"Our work indicates that Apple is executing a clear strategy in healthcare," Morgan Stanley concluded.

Apple has amassed a large number of health professionals for products and general research. Many of these people have been focused on heart and fitness issues, but the company is also investigating areas such as sleep and women's reproductive health.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Yes, but they need to get certified in this industry. Small print waivers from liability is not how it works in many industries. That is why industries hire IT directly and that IT performs selection of technologies. No outsiders who do not have proper credentials. I am just saying. You can write best software and provide best hardware, but if you are not certified or not wanting to take part in liability then you are not going to be major player. Microsoft and few other know about it very well.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Like I stated in another thread recently, I was late to the game, but I finally got my first Apple Watch, and I've been using it for a week now.

Yes, it's great, and it's pretty obvious that healthcare is an area that Apple should be expanding into more and more in the future.

Besides heart rate, ekg, etc., there are many other features that Apple can add, and they are obviously already looking into many of these.

I can't wait to see what the Apple Watch is going to be like in some generations from now, as more sensors and features are added.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Dead_PoolDead_Pool Posts: 121member
    What are we waiting for? Disrupt already!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    apple ][ said:
    Like I stated in another thread recently, I was late to the game, but I finally got my first Apple Watch, and I've been using it for a week now.

Yes, it's great, and it's pretty obvious that healthcare is an area that Apple should be expanding into more and more in the future.

Besides heart rate, ekg, etc., there are many other features that Apple can add, and they are obviously already looking into many of these.

I can't wait to see what the Apple Watch is going to be like in some generations from now, as more sensors and features are added.
    I wouldn't say you're late. I could easily see Apple Watch user base massively growing in the next 5 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    apple ][ said:

Congrats.  I only got my first one recently too, I love it to bits!
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    MacPro said:
    apple ][ said:

So you’re saying you broke it into pieces???  😁
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Yes, but they need to get certified in this industry. Small print waivers from liability is not how it works in many industries. That is why industries hire IT directly and that IT performs selection of technologies. No outsiders who do not have proper credentials. I am just saying. You can write best software and provide best hardware, but if you are not certified or not wanting to take part in liability then you are not going to be major player. Microsoft and few other know about it very well.

Yes, the legal and regulatory landscape of healthcare in the U.S. is a minefield for the unwary.  It’s designed, and not by accident, to keep nontraditional competitors out.  This is one reason why healthcare is so expensive.

Apple may be able to leverage their user base to demonstrate new possibilities that regulators and congress never imagined before.  It will be slow going and we may see some setbacks along the way.  But if Apple can demonstrate their vision of what healthcare could be like, regulatory agencies and congress may modify the current rules to allow for some new streamlined processes, which will permit Apple and other tech companies to make further and more substantial inroads into healthcare.  They’ve already got a head start.  More good will among medical professionals will help.

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    apple ][ said:

I wouldn't say you're late. I could easily see Apple Watch user base massively growing in the next 5 years.
    I'm probably not late compared to the average person, I was just thinking in terms of me being an Apple fan, since there have been many generations released since the first one.

I do agree that the user base will only continue to grow for a number of years to come now. It's like the early iPhone days in my opinion and we are far away from peak Apple Watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18

MacPro said:
    apple ][ said:

Thanks, congrats to you too!

And yeah, I'm liking mine a lot. I haven't even looked into many of the apps yet and features that are available.

I tried my first Apple Pay payment using just the watch at Costco a few days ago, it was so simple, so quick and so convenient. I bought a whole bunch of stuff and paid for it with just a slight movement of my wrist. I liked it better than using my phone to pay.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Wasn't there a rumor that Apple was going to purchase One Medical Group? I really think that AC Wellness will open up to the public and that is the beta program for internal employees first. They have the doctors, they have the testing centers. It would only be a matter of time before they make everything more mainstream in more areas.

Does anyone remember when Steve Jobs announced Keynote? He stated he had been beta testing the product right in front of us for years.
    edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    JWSC said:
    MacPro said:
    apple ][ said:

So you’re saying you broke it into pieces???  😁
    LOL  ... Noooo TG!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    apple ][ said:

MacPro said:
    apple ][ said:

Thanks, congrats to you too!

And yeah, I'm liking mine a lot. I haven't even looked into many of the apps yet and features that are available.

I tried my first Apple Pay payment using just the watch at Costco a few days ago, it was so simple, so quick and so convenient. I bought a whole bunch of stuff and paid for it with just a slight movement of my wrist. I liked it better than using my phone to pay.

I got mine mainly for the EKG and I am in the clear but will monitor.  The sleep app is great too, I now know drinking helps lol.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    Type 2 diabetic. I’m waiting for glucose reading/monitoring before jumping on the Apple Watch bandwagon. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I'm 75 in August and have had a few falls lately so my first priority in an Watch was the fall detection.  As a Diabetic I'm now waiting for Blood Sugar monitoring and will probably go for another  "new" Watch when that feature is developed. 

The one factor that concerns me with medical monitoring is how heavy a load will it put on the batteries.  With Blood Sugar you ,might have 30 minute  test intervals with before meals and after meals added.  The potential for monitoring ECG & heart rate together would allow Apple to identify AFib on the go and alert the user of the need to get checked, as well as providing data strips on the iPhone.

One huge explosion will come if Apple can identify a heart attack, notify the patient and then notify care givers, ambulances, etc. with locations.  

Can you see a handful of attacks hitting patients in the middle of a stadium filled with avid fans at the Oklahoma-Texas Football Game, or Michigan -  Michigan State, or even Harvard - Yale,  As the ambulances head to the stadium Apple will need to notify the refs via the refs Watch that play will need to be put on hold while announcement is made for everyone to check their Watches and raise their hand if there is a heart warning being displayed,

As medical features grow in the iOS/macOS environment the need for battery performance is going to need to grow even faster.  But what a ride it can be!

edited April 2019 n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    um, hello? Are they just catching on to this now?

HealthKit, ResearchKit, CareKit, Medical ID, Apple FREAKING Watch and it's litany of health protection features including EKG, In & Out Patient care apps, Health Records, the Health App, Accessibility, Health Volume Purchasing and all the studies they've been in and currently involved.

This is just the announced stuff, and I've still probably missed a bunch of others.
    edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Even Stevie Wonder can see that🙄
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    JWSC said:

Yes, the legal and regulatory landscape of healthcare in the U.S. is a minefield for the unwary.  It’s designed, and not by accident, to keep nontraditional competitors out.  This is one reason why healthcare is so expensive.

Apple may be able to leverage their user base to demonstrate new possibilities that regulators and congress never imagined before.  It will be slow going and we may see some setbacks along the way.  But if Apple can demonstrate their vision of what healthcare could be like, regulatory agencies and congress may modify the current rules to allow for some new streamlined processes, which will permit Apple and other tech companies to make further and more substantial inroads into healthcare.  They’ve already got a head start.  More good will among medical professionals will help.

Quite true!
    I think where Apple can disrupt is in transforming our "DiseaseManagement" system into an actual "HealthCare System.

Right now, what we call a "healthcare system" spends 75% of its $3.5Trillion a year treating the symptoms of mostly lifestyle related diseases (heart disease, many cancers, diabetes, arthritis, etc...).   It cannot cure those diseases, and it makes almost no effort in preventing them, but it makes enormous amounts of money treating the effects of those diseases.

As one man put it:  "The money is not in dead people and the money is not in healthy  people.  The big bucks are in the living but sick."

Our DiseaseManagement system has resisted all efforts at making Americans healthy and will continue resisting those efforts.   It will take an outsider like Apple to transform that profit motivated broken system.