HomeKit-enabled Eve Energy Strip now available to order

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2019
The HomeKit-equipped Eve Energy Strip is now available for order, adding a trio of connected outlets to your smart home.

Eve Energy Strip
Eve Energy Strip

After being announced earlier this year, the Eve Energy Strip is now available to purchase for $99.95 through select retailers such as Amazon and Best Buy.

The Eve Energy Strip has a trio of outlets, each with their own power button and the ability to be controlled via HomeKit from any of your Apple devices. The Eve Energy Strip has overcurrent, overvoltage, and surge protection built in.

AppleInsider went hands-on with the Eve Energy Strip during the 2019 Consumer Electronics Show and was impressed with the build quality and design of such a useful product.

Eve Energy Strip is controlled via Wi-Fi, has complete data privacy with nothing being sent to outside servers, and supports HomeKit exclusively. You can schedule your devices to turn on/off at specific times, automate them based on your location or motion sensors, and much more.

Thanks to the internal monitors, you are able to view how much electricity is being consumed by your devices and even estimate costs based on your location.

AppleInsider will have a full review soon, so be sure to stay tuned for further coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    I saw the UL logo on the box but I didn't see any other logo like CSA so I presume this is a US-only product. I'm always a little disappointed when AI doesn't consider its international readers when reviewing a product. Eve does sell electrical products in Canada so it seems possible that this product could eventually obtain the CSA logo to go with the UL logo. (P.S. I enjoy the AI website, don't let my criticism get you feeling down.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    A power strip with only 3 outlets on it. That's like a MINI power strip. For $100? That's just laughable to me. No thanks.
    hmurchisondavgreg
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    jbdragon said:
    A power strip with only 3 outlets on it. That's like a MINI power strip. For $100? That's just laughable to me. No thanks.
    In all fairness, you should be comparing this to a trio of HomeKit smart power plugs, which generally cost $25-$30 each, not a $4.99 Harbor Freight power strip. Not sure what I'd do with it, but I could see this product being very useful for controlling the multiple electrical devices needed for operating a home aquarium/terrarium sort of thing. Would be interested in hearing how people are using these.  
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Sounds a bit pricey for a Bluetooth power strip.

There should be more to it or there should be a lower price.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    davgreg said:
    Sounds a bit pricey for a Bluetooth power strip.

There should be more to it or there should be a lower price.
    It uses WiFi and is reported as high build quality....
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    dewme said:
    jbdragon said:
    In all fairness, you should be comparing this to a trio of HomeKit smart power plugs, which generally cost $25-$30 each, not a $4.99 Harbor Freight power strip. Not sure what I'd do with it, but I could see this product being very useful for controlling the multiple electrical devices needed for operating a home aquarium/terrarium sort of thing. Would be interested in hearing how people are using these.  
    Good example of using it. Don’t know if I would trust the life of my aquarium fish to Siri. Yes it is like a trio of plugs but I still envision extension cords all over the place in which case you better have a smart smoke detector set up. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 9
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    dewme said:
    jbdragon said:
    Soon they’ll be $10 each from IKEA.

The HomeKit support has been lagging for the outlets though. The Trådfri team is on Reddit keeping people updated about the progress. 
    pscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 9
    And… IKEA just officially made their $10 power plugs HomeKit compatible. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/tradfri/comments/bbr20z/psa_control_outlets_are_now_fully_supported/
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Waiting for this to come to Australia. I have six of the regular single outlet, Bluetooth only models. Some I use for scenes and automations. 

Some I use only for monitoring energy usage by certain appliances. 

The Eve app does a great job of presenting the consumption figures graphically. I also export the recordings straight into Numbers. Looking forward to getting this strip.