Ikea's Tradfri smart plugs are now HomeKit compatible

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2019
Ikea has issued an update for its Tradfri smart plugs in the United States, with new firmware released on Thursday enabling the power accessories to be controlled by other devices using Apple's HomeKit smart home platform, as well as via the Home app.

Originally launched in November, the Tradfri smart plugs are did not ship with support for HomeKit. A firmware update released for the Gateway, the central hub Ikea's smart home system uses to control all of the devices in the range, adds the extended functionality.

The firmware is rolling out as an over-the-air update in the United States, followed by other markets in the coming weeks. Exact timings for delivery of the firmware to customers in the other markets was not advised.

The Tradfri smart plugs are unusual in their design as they are physically large, but can be mounted so they do not block off another socket to the side or above with the rest of the casing. While the plugs can be bought individually, they do require the Tradfri Gateway in order to function, something that other HomeKit-enabled smart plugs do not require.

Sold individually for $9.99 each and $29.99 for the hub on its own, the system can be relatively expensive compared to other options on the market when used for a single outlet. At two plugs, the system is comparable in price to many other options, but becomes a more attractive prospect in terms of cost at higher plug quantities.

Ikea has had trouble in the past in adding HomeKit support to its smart home products. One attempt in October 2017 to add it to its Tradfri lighting range was later backtracked over "technical difficulties."

The firm is anticipated to launch HomeKit-ready Smart Shades later in 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    The Tradfri smart plugs are unusual in their design as they are physically large, but can be mounted so they do not block off another socket to the side or above with the rest of the casing.
    I’ve seen outlet strips in Europe that have all the outlets at a 45º angle so you can plug in either a vertical or horizontal wall-wart without blocking anything. I never understood why manufacturers insist on designing AC adapters that are guaranteed to block outlets - there are some that will even block outlets both above and next to the one being used.

I have to make a correction here - it’s not ‘Tradfri,’ it’s ‘Trådfri.’ Å is a distinct letter from A in Swedish, and ‘Trådfri’ means wireless. 
    patchythepiraterandominternetpersondt17
  • Reply 2 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member

The Tradfri smart plugs are unusual in their design as they are physically large, but can be mounted so they do not block off another socket to the side or above with the rest of the casing. 
    I can see with my own eyes that they are so big that they would physically block a second one in the neighboring outlet. There are lots of power cables I own that would be blocked by this device. And each of those cables claims to be small enough to claim that it doesn't block anything in the neighboring outlet. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I don't understand why these things are always such massive bricks. Why not make them inline cords so that you can easily plug them into any outlet? What's the worst that can happen—you get an extra 6–12 inches of cord?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    These smart outlets have their uses but when it comes to controlling lights the Phillips Hue system is the best. Light out.
    seanj
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Do you have to use Ikea's hub for these to work?

I've already got hubs from Philips and Nanoleaf and I'd prefer to not add another.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    rbparker said:

I've already got hubs from Philips and Nanoleaf and I'd prefer to not add another.
    At the very least, Ikea's hub is required. I'm not sure if there are other compatible ones, though.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    rbparker said:

Thanks to zigbee it should just work; but… it’s not launched as a generic plug, so ymmv. Just google it and you’ll find people posting about their results. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    These smart outlets have their uses but when it comes to controlling lights the Phillips Hue system is the best. Light out.
    Good to know. Thx. I'm intrigued as I like mood lighting. I'm especially interested in having it behind my TV.
    :)

edited April 2019