New Apple vids show how to enable heart alerts & fall detection for Apple Watch Series 4

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple on Thursday uploaded a pair of YouTube videos explaining two of the health features of the Apple Watch Series 4, irregular heart rhythm notifications and fall detection.

Apple Watch Series 4

Both clips are under 40 seconds long, and guide wearers to the right places in the iOS Watch app -- "Emergency SOS" in the case of fall detection, and "Heart" for arrhythmia alerts.

Fall detection is normally off by default unless a Watch owner enters their age as 65 or older when they set up a Watch and/or the iOS Health app. This is because Apple's fall algorithms aren't perfect and can potentially be triggered by intense but otherwise normal activity, such as weightlifting.

That can have serious consequences. Emergency SOS will not only sound an alarm but call local emergency services, and message any emergency contacts you've assigned.

The irregular heart notifications can be linked to high and/or low heart rates with specified thresholds. To further avoid false alarms, notifications are only sent if a heart rate holds within a danger zone for 10 minutes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Apple on Thursday uploaded a pair of YouTube videos explaining two of the health features of the Apple Watch Series 4, irregular heart rhythm notifications and fall detection.

Apple Watch Series 4

How do I get this watch face on my new AW4? And the white one in the other ads? 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    eightzero said:
    If you have an Apple Watch Series 4, it’s one of the several default watch faces. You may not recognize it because it may not have all of those complications on the default face. You add complications to any given watch face.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chasm said:
    eightzero said:
    If you have an Apple Watch Series 4, it’s one of the several default watch faces. You may not recognize it because it may not have all of those complications on the default face. You add complications to any given watch face.
    It's not there in any form. This appears to be the case with many of the faces Apple uses in its ads.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    Reminder to readers outside the US: the Afib detection does not work in all regions. If you’re in one of the (mostly European) countries where the ECG functionality is or was recently made available, you’ve got the Afib detection option (which you turn on using the instructions in this article). If you are in a country that does not have the ECG functionality turned on yet, you do not have Afib detection yet. You can, however, still set high and low heart rate alerts.
    albegarc
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I am well under the default age for automatic Fall Detection but I enabled it anyway. I haven't had a single false alarm, but I have fallen bad enough twice hiking where I assumed it would've gone off but it didn't.

eightzero said:
    chasm said:
    eightzero said:
    It's not there in any form. This appears to be the case with many of the faces Apple uses in its ads.
    It's called Infograph and I've been using it since getting my Series 4 Watch. If you can't find it via the Watch try adding it from the Watch app on your iPhone.
    edited April 2019 StrangeDayschasm
  • Reply 6 of 9
    eightzero said:
    On your iPhone, go to the Watch app and click on the "Face Gallery" tab on the bottom of the screen. You'll see all of the available faces there. You probably just don't have it in the "My Watch" tab yet.
    StrangeDaysjbdragonchasmJWSC
  • Reply 7 of 9
    woodworks said:
    eightzero said:
    On your iPhone, go to the Watch app and click on the "Face Gallery" tab on the bottom of the screen. You'll see all of the available faces there. You probably just don't have it in the "My Watch" tab yet.
    well...I be darned. There she blows. *Thanks*! AI is the best.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I love my new Apple Watch 4, 44mm and I only paid $360 for it! It replaced my Original Apple Watch which I got slightly used buy looked new for $300 with a second charger and 3 more Apple color bands, Re, White and Blue. Craigslist is your friend!!! Shop wisely and you'll not have any problems.

Going from 42mm to 44mm, you wouldn't think there would all that much of a differance, but WOW, just everything overall on the screen in larger and more fits on it. You would think 2mm larger isn't much, but it really is. Siri on my old watch stopped working. I think the mic getting wet caused it to fail. Also the app, "Voice in a Can" would never work. Just so slow and poky on it. On this 4, it's much better, plus with Siri Shortcuts, and not having to say Hey Siri. I can just lift my wrist up and say "Alexa" and Voice in a can loads up and now I have Alexa support. Which I really only need to control my powered Blinds. Now I can do it on my wrist which is nice. I'm a Homekit house and Siri works great, but no Homekit support on my Blinds at this time, so this is the work around. But being able to lift lift my wrist and issue a command like "Open Garage" and it opens comes in really handy.

My Original was no longer supported my Apple. No more WatchOS updates. It's a huge update coming from the Original to the current 4. My Original I put some small scratches on the top left corner. Most of the time you wouldn't notice them. This time I have a screen protector on which I can peel off and install the other one when I need to as it came with 2 of them and it's in a heavy duty case with it's own band. Because it does get banged on at work. I had white paint specs on the watch face and band from spray panting here at work, Most everything in production, walls and stuff are white. I could get it off the watch, but couldn't get the paint off the band. Which was OK as I install other bands anyway. This case, I can just pop the watch out the back of it, and install whatever band I want onto it pretty quickly. I just have to remember to throw on one of the disposable plastic arm sleeves wee have here on that arm over the watch.
    edited April 2019