PC vs Mac, Dec 2002 Article

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This may be an old article for this board. If it is and already has been discussed then disregard this thread. However, I have not seen this one. I have decided to make the switch and my brother has decided to bombard me with pro PC information. It won't work, but I was just wondering what everyone thought about the info in this article. The information the author discusses appears to be different than what I have learned in the past 2 months of research prior to deciding to switch.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Link:

<a href="http://www.videobuyersguide.com/video-pc_or_mac.html"; target="_blank">http://www.videobuyersguide.com/video-pc_or_mac.html</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by cmdrspidey:

<strong>This may be an old article for this board. If it is and already has been discussed then disregard this thread. However, I have not seen this one. I have decided to make the switch and my brother has decided to bombard me with pro PC information. It won't work, but I was just wondering what everyone thought about the info in this article. The information the author discusses appears to be different than what I have learned in the past 2 months of research prior to deciding to switch.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Link:

<a href="http://www.videobuyersguide.com/video-pc_or_mac.html"; target="_blank">http://www.videobuyersguide.com/video-pc_or_mac.html</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Yes, I am aware this article was posted in Dec 2002, jsut wondering how much of the information has changed.
  • Reply 2 of 16

<strong>

Yes, I am aware this article was posted in Dec 2002, jsut wondering how much of the information has changed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am not going to do a rah-rah-rah mac post here, but it really seems like that whole article boils down to 3 things:

1) You need Quicktime Pro ($29.95) to be able to import anything into iMovie unless you shoot in on a digital video camera.

2) The fastest PCs run circles around the fastest Macs.

3) The author says he likes Windows media apps better, but doesn't say anything about why, or how they make him more productive - just that they do.

Now admittedly I didn't read the article too thoroughly, but what do the first two have to do with editing video, and why should I listen to a guy who keeps saying windows machines are faster and pointing to benchmarks in an article about iMovie and Windows Movie Maker?

I am sure there are plenty of people who like Windows Movie Maker better than iMovie. That's great - I hope everyone enjoys making movies on the computer and since 95% of the world has access to WMM and not iMovie, I hope it kicks 455. I would hope some of them have better reasons though.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Ahh simply take Solace in the fact that we have roughly 6 more months of the Rah Rah PC's are so fast mumbo jumbo.

Also compare Movie Maker 2 to iMovie 3 right now and feature wise iMovie just left MM2 in the dust again.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Actually, disregard my last post - he does go into some details about particular video packages.

Guess I should look at things more closely before I post (so I guess that last post actually was a Mac-rah-rah-rah post).
  • Reply 5 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by The Pie Man:

<strong>Actually, disregard my last post - he does go into some details about particular video packages.

Guess I should look at things more closely before I post (so I guess that last post actually was a Mac-rah-rah-rah post).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but the article obviously was writtenprior to the ilife updates, also I am not concerned about how fast PCs are compared to Macs. I was just wondering what others (who have Macs) felt about what he was saying.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Read the whole article. Not bad the guy was pretty fair but typical of all PC drones they like to compare the "Model 2003 PC" against "Model 2002 Mac"

Windows Maker 2.0 SHOULD exceed iMovie2 in many areas. It "just" came out for chrissakes.

Plus I Apple's focus, IMO, is not to support every stinkin codec. With the proliferation of lowcost MiniDV recorders iMovie is built around the DV Codec. Throughing every codec and the kitchen sink at iMovie expecting for it to flawlessly handle every one is misguided. Apple created that app to function well with DV Cameras and it does.

The article is in serious need of updating now. iDVD has improved greatly and iMovie has as well. It's a whole new ballgame.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Read the whole article. Not bad the guy was pretty fair but typical of all PC drones they like to compare the "Model 2003 PC" against "Model 2002 Mac"

Windows Maker 2.0 SHOULD exceed iMovie2 in many areas. It "just" came out for chrissakes.

Plus I Apple's focus, IMO, is not to support every stinkin codec. With the proliferation of lowcost MiniDV recorders iMovie is built around the DV Codec. Throughing every codec and the kitchen sink at iMovie expecting for it to flawlessly handle every one is misguided. Apple created that app to function well with DV Cameras and it does.

The article is in serious need of updating now. iDVD has improved greatly and iMovie has as well. It's a whole new ballgame.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what I figured. I dont know WM 2.0 and I am not knowledgeable about codec. However, I am aware about apple and dv format. I have tested the Mac and I know it works well. I have not seen this on a PC. Man, my bro wont stop. He just sent me another article. It seems like a hyperthreading advertisement.

<a href="http://www.dvformat.com/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.dvformat.com/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii.htm</a>;

Thanks for the responses so far. Good info for me when I do get around to finally getting the new computer.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Well, I am a video editor who makes his living using Macs. I switched to the Mac in 1999 when I decided that I was going to be doing video for a living.

I've used a variety of video editing solutions on the Windows platform. I've tried Dell, Matrox, Canopus, Compaq, Miro/Pinnacle, etc. I can say to you without exaggeration...they totally suck. Maybe something has changed in the last two years, with the introduction of Windows XP, but my PC editing experiences have been frought with problems.

I was using a Dell PIII-based system with a Miro card and Adobe Premiere. You could resize a window in a certain way and make it crash. Premiere would sometimes forget that it had capture hardware. The capture hardware would sometimes forget to give a signal to the editing deck.

So I could call Miro (who supplied the capture hardware) and they blame it on Dell. Call Dell and they'll blame Adobe (makers of the video software). Call Adobe and they'll blame Microsoft. You're trying to get work done, and it's a game of "pass the buck" that goes on for days.

I use Final Cut Pro now, and I've had exactly ZERO crashes in Mac OS 9. I've had a few in Mac OS X, but most of these have been with my machine overclocked (obviously not recommended).

If you want a machine that does pro video editing, then the Mac is the way to go. This article is obviously written by a hobbyist, let me count the quotes.

Stuff a video pro would never need to do:

...Final Cut Pro can't even play an imported MPEG-1 file on its editing "canvas" without rendering it.

When it comes to making a video CD, SVCD or "miniDVD" (14 minutes of DVD-quality MPEG-2 video on a CD-R disc), the PC is way ahead.

Video pros, with very few exceptions, will not be importing hobbyist formats like VCD, SVCD, and DiVX. Anime fanboys and pr0n enthusiasts are generally not considered "video professionals".

Unsubstantiated claims:

Windows Movie Maker 2, released in beta form in Nov. 2002, changes the equation somewhat, delivering a feature set that, by almost any yardstick, easily outpaces iMovie 2 on the Mac.

...a Mac with a 400 MHz G3 processor can't play a full-screen DivX video...

...While it used to be true that PCs were frequently plagued by annoying glitches that made the operating system stop responding or hardware malfunction due to driver conflicts Windows XP dramatically improves the PC user's experience in this regard.

Okay, I've never used Windows Movie Maker, so it might be great, but he sure doesn't list any reasons here.

My girlfriend's 333mhz iMac from 1999 will play DiVX fullscreen without dropping a frame, using <a href="http://www.videolan.org"; target="_blank">VideoLAN</a>. Does this have anything to do with video editing? Sure doesn't!

And I have to laugh at the last quote, yet another PC user swearing that his PC is as stable and problem-free as the Mac, since (LATEST MICROSOFT OS) came out. Hey, I used to be there. Upgrading to Win98, hoping it was better, blaming myself when things go wrong. Do you want to fight with your computer, or do you want to get work done?

Wildly off-topic rants:

...almost any PC sold since 1995 can play a full-screen Video CD. Even this simple task is not something even the latest Macs can do with the software supplied.

...there are several MPEG4 variants, including the excellent open-source XviD codec and Microsoft's own Windows Media 9 codec, that have no support on the Mac.

This "Macs can't play a full-screen video CD" rant reveals the author's bias against Macs. Here, he gleefully bashes the Mac for lacking bundled software to play VCDs in fullscreen mode. I could name a ton of free or cheap software that will do this effortlessly on the Mac-but I won't waste your time. Instead, I'll point out that once again, this has nothing to do with video editing-and everything to do with Mac-bashing.

Lastly, he bashes the Mac for not supporting every bastardized, non-standard version of MPEG-4 that someone cooked up in their garage. But nowhere is there any mention that supporting all of these variants in Windows inevitably requires downloading hacked-together codecs and media players, which will certainly have an effect on the stability of your machine.

Now, that being said, you can't expect every video you get off the internet to work on the Mac. Here's a guide if you actually ARE an anime fan: <a href="http://www.bayareaanime.com/osxfansubs.html"; target="_blank">http://www.bayareaanime.com/osxfansubs.html</a>;

Macs are the best choice for video editing. They provide a elegant, integrated solution. Windows editing will always have to deal with the complexity of many different types of hardware and software working together. A few days of waiting on hold with tech support make up for that price differential real quick.

Unless you really want to play Windows PC games, Mac is the better choice. Less crashes, less security issues, better bundled software.

[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: Gizzmonic ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Thanks gizzmonic..I think Ill forward my brother a link to this thread, so he can leave me alone.

• Reply 10 of 16
    No problem. There's also no mention of color-correction tools, which in Windows are either not very good, incredibly expensive, or both. Apple's ColorSync comes with the Mac OS, and video pros get excellent color correction from Final Cut Pro Express, which is $299.

Dual monitor support is another thing that Windows doesn't have quite right yet. As of Win98 and 2000, error messages used to appear 'between' the screens. The software that enables dual monitors is an ugly hack.

On the other hand, I can boot with no extensions in the Mac OS (the PC equivalent of 'safe mode') and have 2 monitors! It's supported at a very low level in Mac software.

The Mac is also unbound from the C drive crap that Windows has to deal with. In Windows, the main OS has to boot off the main "C" drive. Having separate disk partitions is difficult and dangerous. If something goes wrong, you have to boot into "safe mode" and try to fix the problem (or reinstall windows).

If something does go wrong with my Mac, I can boot off a CD or another partition and keep working. A CD, Firewire drive, whatever can have exact same drivers and functionality as my main hard drive...so if I'm working on a project with a deadline, I can wait to fix my computer until the project's done.

In Windows, you have to deal with that problem immediately before you can do any work...which could be very big trouble even if you have all the backups in the world. Your deadline won't wait for you to reinstall Windows, call Microsoft for activation, reinstall all your software, load all your project files from backups, etc.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    OK:

I am the Brother of Cmndrspidey and yes i am a PC user. My questions are simply to determine if getting a Mac would be worth it or should i stay with a new PC. I do enjoy editing video and curently use Uleads Media studio Pro with no problem. Due to my familiarity with windows and the software i am obviously more comfortable with a PC. I am looking at a Dell 3.06MHz and Ulead 7.0 for dvd authoring. I hear good things about it....so lets hear the good and bad about both platforms as it pertains to video editing. FYI: My barrages to my bro biased against Mac were simply for fun since we both are (were) PC guys.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by perky:

<strong>OK:

I am the Brother of Cmndrspidey and yes i am a PC user. My questions are simply to determine if getting a Mac would be worth it or should i stay with a new PC. I do enjoy editing video and curently use Uleads Media studio Pro with no problem. Due to my familiarity with windows and the software i am obviously more comfortable with a PC. I am looking at a Dell 3.06MHz and Ulead 7.0 for dvd authoring. I hear good things about it....so lets hear the good and bad about both platforms as it pertains to video editing. FYI: My barrages to my bro biased against Mac were simply for fun since we both are (were) PC guys.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm actually cross platfrom myself. I have 2 PC's and 2 Macs. If you have to make a purchase before fall I'd say perhaps go with the Dell and Ulead system. If you won't be making a purchase until say Sept keep on eye out for what Apple delivers. Rumors abound about the new IBM PPC 970 chip which will finally make Powermac performance respectable again.

I've used Final Cut Pro for just a bit but it's a very nice app. I can only imagine what they'll be bringing out for the 4th version. All in all Video Professionals should be a tight group and end the end it matters on the video. At any rate you're looking at good stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    hmurchison,

both my borther and (hopefully me) soon) do this for a hobby. I have heard people say dont wait for the 970 chip because no one knows when it will really be out, and you can always say something bigger and better is just around the corner. Do you think it is worth waiting for someone who is just doing this for a hobby? Especially when the general belief is that the new chips would be on high end machines, when they come out.
  • Reply 14 of 16

<strong>hmurchison,

both my borther and (hopefully me) soon) do this for a hobby. I have heard people say dont wait for the 970 chip because no one knows when it will really be out, and you can always say something bigger and better is just around the corner. Do you think it is worth waiting for someone who is just doing this for a hobby? Especially when the general belief is that the new chips would be on high end machines, when they come out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No I don't think it's worth waiting if you want and are ready to jump in right now. I'm buying a camcorder with my tax return and I'll be ready to jump into the fray late this year with a Super Drive equiped Mac. I don't think I couldn't wait if I already had the other necessary gear. Hell I might even get a .mac account to show off LOL
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Spidey,

A Dell based video editing system is a bad idea. A Dell based anything is a bad idea, in my book (I used to work helpdesk at a university). Dells and Compaqs had more problems than any other machines.

It's incredibly foolish to make a purchasing decision based solely on the speed of a CPU (even dumber to base it on the hype of a CPU that hasn't come out yet). I've given you my reasons why I went with Mac. I've had the same machine since 1999, and I'm still doing professional video with no problems.

The people running benchmarks ultimately don't care about getting their job done, they just want their system to be "faster" than everyone else's.

There are plenty of reasons to get a PC. Maybe it's cheaper, maybe you want to play PC games, etc. Professional video editing is not one of them. That's not to say that it's not possible on a PC. It's just that it will require maintenance that could take a lot of the fun out.

That being said, if you're going to get a PC, I suggest selecting the parts for yourself and making your own machine, or going with vendors who have decent quality control. Dell does not. IBM and Micron do.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Gizzmonic:

<strong>Spidey,

A Dell based video editing system is a bad idea. A Dell based anything is a bad idea, in my book (I used to work helpdesk at a university). Dells and Compaqs had more problems than any other machines.

It's incredibly foolish to make a purchasing decision based solely on the speed of a CPU (even dumber to base it on the hype of a CPU that hasn't come out yet). I've given you my reasons why I went with Mac. I've had the same machine since 1999, and I'm still doing professional video with no problems.

The people running benchmarks ultimately don't care about getting their job done, they just want their system to be "faster" than everyone else's.

There are plenty of reasons to get a PC. Maybe it's cheaper, maybe you want to play PC games, etc. Professional video editing is not one of them. That's not to say that it's not possible on a PC. It's just that it will require maintenance that could take a lot of the fun out.

That being said, if you're going to get a PC, I suggest selecting the parts for yourself and making your own machine, or going with vendors who have decent quality control. Dell does not. IBM and Micron do.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Gizz,

Don't get me wrong. I have already decided on a Mac. I am just wondering what experienced users feel about those articles. My brother is the one getting a new PC. I appreciate all of the help. Just trying to get as much info as possible, even though I have already made up my mind (now just to convince my brother, which will be next to impossible).