Apple Pay coming to NYC transit in July, NFL in time for regular season

Posted:
in iPhone
In revealing Q2 results Apple CEO Tim Cook made several announcements related to Apple Pay, including launch windows for New York City transit and the NFL.

New York City subway


MTA riders in New York City will see Apple Pay begin a rollout in July, Cook said. That's later than hinted in a earlier report, which pointed to a spring timeframe.

NYC is a must-have market for public transit. The New York metropolitan area has over 23 million people, many of whom use trains and bus lines every day. The only other U.S. cities with Apple Pay Transit are Chicago and Portland, Ore.

That technology lets people use their iPhone or Apple Watch like a card, quickly scanning their way through turnstiles and kiosks.

Regarding the NFL, Cook said the league will be rolling out Apple Pay in an unspecified manner in time for this year's regular season, which starts in September. Many stadiums already support Apple Pay, but this compatibility isn't necessarily universal.

The CEO likewise added that Ticketmaster is planning to expand Apple Pay for both iOS and the Web, without going into greater detail.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 387member
    Apple really need to make a push to get ApplePay rolled out with the Clipper Card here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Clipper is accepted on all transit systems in the Bay Area so how difficult could it be to bring ApplePay compatibility? 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,687member
    I wonder how it'll work. Can I purchase a metrocard for my Apple Watch and just use that whenever I walk through a turnstile? I hope so.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,687member
    JinTech said:
    Apple really need to make a push to get ApplePay rolled out with the Clipper Card here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Clipper is accepted on all transit systems in the Bay Area so how difficult could it be to bring ApplePay compatibility? 
    I don't know much about San Fran or any clipper cards, but maybe it has not so much to do with Apple, but rather with the other party. It takes two to tango.
    forgot username
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rwesrwes Posts: 170member
    apple ][ said:
    I wonder how it'll work. Can I purchase a metrocard for my Apple Watch and just use that whenever I walk through a turnstile? I hope so.
    Probably tie in with the MetroCard replacement, OMNY. https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/omny

    Timeline (source: https://www.amny.com/transit/metrocard-replacement-omny-1.29297988):

    MetroCard phase out timeline:

    —Late May, 2019: Initial pilot on Lexington Avenue line and Staten Island Buses

    —2019: Incorporate payments via digital wallets, like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay

    —Fall 2019: OMNY account management live on new MTA website and phone app

    —December 2020: OMNY readers launch at all subway stations and bus routes

    —February 2021: OMNY cards launch, on sale at local retailers

    —February 2021: Launch OMNY/eTix 2.0 for Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North

    —Late 2021: Incorporate other transit networks in region

    —2022: Install 2,180 OMNY vending card machines in MTA stations

    —2023: Retire MetroCard

    ravnorodomforgot username
  • Reply 5 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,687member
    rwes said:
    apple ][ said:
    I wonder how it'll work. Can I purchase a metrocard for my Apple Watch and just use that whenever I walk through a turnstile? I hope so.
    Probably tie in with the MetroCard replacement, OMNY. https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/omny

    Timeline (source: https://www.amny.com/transit/metrocard-replacement-omny-1.29297988):

    MetroCard phase out timeline:

    —Late May, 2019: Initial pilot on Lexington Avenue line and Staten Island Buses

    —2019: Incorporate payments via digital wallets, like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay

    —Fall 2019: OMNY account management live on new MTA website and phone app

    —December 2020: OMNY readers launch at all subway stations and bus routes

    —February 2021: OMNY cards launch, on sale at local retailers

    —February 2021: Launch OMNY/eTix 2.0 for Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North

    —Late 2021: Incorporate other transit networks in region

    —2022: Install 2,180 OMNY vending card machines in MTA stations

    —2023: Retire MetroCard

    I didn't even know that the metrocard is being replaced, good to know!

    And yes, it does look like the rollout of that OMNY thing is connected to the digital wallets, including Apple Pay.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    payecopayeco Posts: 315member
    rwes said:
    apple ][ said:
    I wonder how it'll work. Can I purchase a metrocard for my Apple Watch and just use that whenever I walk through a turnstile? I hope so.
    Probably tie in with the MetroCard replacement, OMNY. https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/omny

    Timeline (source: https://www.amny.com/transit/metrocard-replacement-omny-1.29297988):

    MetroCard phase out timeline:

    —Late May, 2019: Initial pilot on Lexington Avenue line and Staten Island Buses

    —2019: Incorporate payments via digital wallets, like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay

    —Fall 2019: OMNY account management live on new MTA website and phone app

    —December 2020: OMNY readers launch at all subway stations and bus routes

    —February 2021: OMNY cards launch, on sale at local retailers

    —February 2021: Launch OMNY/eTix 2.0 for Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North

    —Late 2021: Incorporate other transit networks in region

    —2022: Install 2,180 OMNY vending card machines in MTA stations

    —2023: Retire MetroCard

    I can’t wait for Apple Pay and OMNY.

    There is one big annoyance though. You swipe your Metrocard for each turnstile on the right since most people are right handed. So the NFC reader is going on the right of each turnstile as well. However most people who are right handed wear their watch on their left wrist. That means if you want to pay with an Apple Watch instead of your phone you’ve got to do some awkward turn sideways and stretch your arm to the other side maneuver to get close enough to the reader.
    forgot username
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 420member
    JinTech said:
    Apple really need to make a push to get ApplePay rolled out with the Clipper Card here in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    The Clipper card uses proprietary Cubic technology. You’ll need to wait until they switch to an open standard. Here in San Diego, it’s been announced that we will do this in 2021, dumping Cubic (even though they’re a San Diego company) in the process. 
    forgot usernameJinTech
  • Reply 8 of 8
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 387member
    tokyojimu said:
    JinTech said:
    Apple really need to make a push to get ApplePay rolled out with the Clipper Card here in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    The Clipper card uses proprietary Cubic technology. You’ll need to wait until they switch to an open standard. Here in San Diego, it’s been announced that we will do this in 2021, dumping Cubic (even though they’re a San Diego company) in the process. 
    Good to know. Here's to hoping Clipper will dump Cubic as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.