Google to phase out 'Works with Nest' program as it introduces stringent home device priva...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    I hope it's true, but I see no reason to believe that we're still not their product.

Funny!

But in actuality "you" were never the product to begin with. The ads they place are the product, and the anonymized "you" goes into the nuts and bolts that make those ads more valuable than traditional print ads...
    supposedly more valuable anyway. 

Google does not make any personal information available to any advertisers, companies that include Apple to Zippo. Google ads don't target people, they rely on advertising ID's dumped in big ol' baskets of similar depersonalized ID's. The real you was never sold. 
    Sure, but the rancher also doesn’t tell the vendor the life history of the beef they sell them. That doesn’t mean the cattle isn’t the product.
    Agree, but in the case of Google you aren't the product being sold. You never were. Google sells ad placement and not data or people.

Would you claim Apple sells iOS, that it's "the product"? It isn't and they don't, but it makes every mobile Apple product more valuable because of its inclusion. In the same sense the anonymized basket of "you's" makes Google's ad product more valuable.  Both are necessary components for their successful (obviously) business plans, but that are never sold, shared or out of the company's control. Neither of them are products.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 22 of 26
    dkhaleydkhaley Posts: 57member
    jshelk said:
    Well, looks like I’m selling my three nests and getting ecobees. 
    I'll be doing the same.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    I hope it's true, but I see no reason to believe that we're still not their product.

Funny!

But in actuality "you" were never the product to begin with. The ads they place are the product, and the anonymized "you" goes into the nuts and bolts that make those ads more valuable than traditional print ads...
    supposedly more valuable anyway. 

Google does not make any personal information available to any advertisers, companies that include Apple to Zippo. Google ads don't target people, they rely on advertising ID's dumped in big ol' baskets of similar depersonalized ID's. The real you was never sold. 
    Sure, but the rancher also doesn’t tell the vendor the life history of the beef they sell them. That doesn’t mean the cattle isn’t the product.
    Agree, but in the case of Google you aren't the product being sold. You never were. Google sells ad placement and not data or people.

Would you claim Apple sells iOS, that it's "the product"? It isn't and they don't, but it makes every mobile Apple product more valuable because of its inclusion. In the same sense the anonymized basket of "you's" makes Google's ad product more valuable.  Both are necessary components for their successful (obviously) business plans, but that are never sold, shared or out of the company's control. Neither of them are products.
    Nope. We are still the product. Ads are sold to agencies by way of promising targeted eyes... which are us. It’s the ads and the promise of eyes seeing those ads. That makes us part of the product. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member

Google will always be Google. 
    StrangeDayscgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Privacy concerns aside, it isn't even a good thermostat.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    jshelk said:
    Well, looks like I’m selling my three nests and getting ecobees. 
    Nest becomes even more secure and private is prompting you to change hardware? Odd but whatever I suppose. 

My neighbor who is a car thief told me he's no longer stealing car parts and offered to fix my perfectly running car.

So I'll definitely take his offer!

watto_cobra