Bird launches iPhone-connected Bird One scooter for fleets & personal ownership

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2019
Bird on Wednesday announced the Bird One, an iPhone-connected scooter meant for both its sharing service and personal ownership.

Bird One

The One uses a steel-reinforced aluminum frame, meant to be more durable than both Bird's first original scooter -- the Zero -- and the Xiaomi M365 and Ninebot ES the company often uses in sharing. It's expected to last over a year in sharing, versus 10 months for the Zero, and just three months for the ES and M365. That's a key factor in whether or not Bird can become profitable.

The new scooter also has a power system that's IP67-rated against rain and dust, with a much greater range, up to 30 miles. There are no exposed cables and quick-access panels are included for service.

Performance-wise the vehicle has a top speed of 18 miles per hour, and can handle hills up to 15% and weights up to 220 pounds. Brakes include a regenerative motor system in the front and a rear drum. The tires are custom, semi-solid pneumatic tubeless designs, which Bird claims should protect against flats while still offering a comfortable ride.

Personal buyers with an iPhone or Android device can track their scooter via GPS and enable a digital lock. An unusual advantage in that regard is access to the Bird Hunter Network, normally intended to track down shared units.

Other perks of ownership include $100 in credit for Bird rides, a one-year warranty, and service at Bird centers in North America and Europe.

The One can be preordered today in black, white, or rose colors for $1,299. Delivery is slated for this summer, but Bird cautions that a "limited quantity" of scooters will be available at first.

People who ride shared scooters can currently try the One out in Los Angeles. From there coverage should grow throughout North America.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ZirlinZirlin Posts: 19member
    NEO IS THE ONE!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 12
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Who the heck would share out at $1,299 scooter? You would have to track down where the last user left it. Makes 0 sense.
    Also i'd find very unlike or impossible to make your money back in a year if all you are doing is sharing out the scooter and not using it.

edited May 2019 jbdragonSpamSandwichtyler82
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    peteo said:
    Who the heck would share out at $1,299 scooter? You would have to track down where the last user left it. Makes 0 sense.
    Also i'd find very unlike or impossible to make your money back in a year if all you are doing is sharing out the scooter and not using it.

You don't share the scooter if you pay the $1,299. It's yours to keep.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    peteo said:

Did you miss the part about the $100 sharing credit? Or the part "Personal buyers with an iPhone or Android device can track the scooter via GPS and enable a digital lock." Sounds like to save $100, you let it be rented out by others. Of course then you have to track it down. People just abuse these things as they don't care. I sure as hell wouldn't share my $1,299 scooter to save $100. That's just dumb. It's also dumb to pay that much for this thing in the first place.
    tyler82
  • Reply 5 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    peteo said:

That’s not what the article is saying. It’s your property, but you lease it back to the “network” so other hapless pedestrians can rent it. Seems pretty moronic to me. This is a scooter we’re talking about after all. A lot of them end up destroyed in short order.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    peteo said:

That’s not what the article is saying. It’s your property, but you lease it back to the “network” so other hapless pedestrians can rent it. Seems pretty moronic to me. This is a scooter we’re talking about after all. A lot of them end up destroyed in short order.
    That credit is for use on other Bird scooters if you don't have your own around.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Get ready for a ban on these things. They block sidewalks and a lot of people who rent these don’t know anything about safety and etiquette when sharing the sidewalk or bike paths. 
    I see people using these at top speeds on sidewalks where elderly people walk. I have seen a lot of close calls where the scooter operator has almost collided with a pedestrian. 

In some parts of town, I have seen scooters left in the street, usually by school kids. 

its just a matter of time before you see a ban on these unless the industry can figure out how to police where their scooters are and where they can be left without causing problems. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Of course the ride-hailing companies want to outsource fleet ownership to unsuspecting rubes. Why cover the cost of repair & replacing jacked scooters when customers can do it for you!?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    These are so cool and the future of city transportation 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    msean101msean101 Posts: 3member
    Of course the ride-hailing companies want to outsource fleet ownership to unsuspecting rubes. Why cover the cost of repair & replacing jacked scooters when customers can do it for you!?
    The headline for the article is poorly worded and misleading, but if you go to Bird's website it's much more clear: You can purchase one of these scooters for $1200. It's yours. To keep. And use however you want. With your purchase you get a $100 credit for renting publicly available Bird scooters, in case you happen to be traveling: "Bird One owners get access to additional rides on our dockless shared network in 100+ cities worldwide—so even if you’re away, you’re never without Bird."

The company is not just selling this model, however. The "sharing" part of the headline refers to the fact that they will be launching these models in cities where they currently operate to replace older scooter models. So if you don't want to own one, it will eventually be an option to rent if there are Bird scooters available for rent in your city.

They are definitely not expecting people to spend $1200 and let random people use it. That is nowhere on their website. It's not a thing.
    Roger_Fingasminicoffee
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ijalexijalex Posts: 15member
    Under $350 and might buy my kid one...  :D 

Just not going to speed that much on what basically is a skateboard with handlebars. You can cram all the tech you want into it, still doesn’t make me want one. A real scooter to me has a seat and can go 45mph and still at the same price point. I rather spend a little more and grab one of those Honda Grom mini bikes.  
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I was considering purchasing an electric scooter to carry in the trunk of my electric car. 
    Two problems with this option. 
    First, it doesn’t appear to fold like most scooters do. 
    Second, the most popular and highest rated scooter, the Xiaomi M365 is currently going for $450.  This one has only 60% more range for 188% higher cost. 
    ijalex