Calling UK broadband owners .......

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'd like some advice please. I'm moving to a new house soon and am probably going to have to wave goodbye to my current service provider ( Telewest Blueyonder ). This is a wrench as, for me, they have been absolutely great. however, I don't know the story with other broadband providers and would be grateful for some advice. I'm looking at BT but have an inbuilt hatred of them ( don't ask ) and after that I'm not sure what options a Mac person has. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by jimdad:

<strong>I'd like some advice please. I'm moving to a new house soon and am probably going to have to wave goodbye to my current service provider ( Telewest Blueyonder ). This is a wrench as, for me, they have been absolutely great. however, I don't know the story with other broadband providers and would be grateful for some advice. I'm looking at BT but have an inbuilt hatred of them ( don't ask ) and after that I'm not sure what options a Mac person has. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whatever you do dont go with BT, there expensive and people have reported being logged out of there ADSL connection due to overload.

I use pipex (www.pipex.net) and at £22.50 a month is good value as my connection stays up.

you also get free norton anti-virus. Though if you go with pipex DO NOT get your adsl filter from them as they charge about £8 for one, you can buy these from a retailer for about £3.

one last note, no matter which service provider you choose i recommend against the alcatel speedtouch modem as it is a pain in the arse on macs and slows down your connection, for an extra £20-£30 you can get a decent router which also acts as a hardware firewall and a DNS server.

Hope this helps. And i hope you can get ADSL in your new area

• Reply 2 of 3
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I use NTL broadband via cable and its been fine. It seems competatively priced and fast, the '512' kbps service actually runs at 600 kbps or faster.

I already had a cable TV box with inbuilt modem and just hooked it up to my Mac via ethernet, rather than using the supplied USB adaptor and going down the USB route. If you don't have an existing cable TV box, they supply a cable modem. I did have to install OS9 in order to run the supplied software and setup my account, though an OSX version may now be available. Having done that, it worked in OSX straight away without any configuration at all.

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Try <a href="http://www.internet-central.net/"; target="_blank">Internet Central</a>. High speed connections announced for similar prices to 512 kbps. I am with Demon and they are pretty good. Check out <a href="http://www.adslguide.org.uk"; target="_blank">www.adslguide.org.uk</a> as well for reviews and speed comparisons.