macOS 10.14.5 goes live with security and bug fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited May 2019
Apple on Monday released the finished version of macOS 10.14.5, the latest update for Mojave, as it paves the way for macOS 10.15 to land this fall.

2018 MacBook Air

The software is available through Mojave's Software Update tool, found under the Apple menu's System Preferences section. If automatic updates are on, the software should be installed in the near future.

Apple previously issued multiple developer builds of the code along with matching public betas.

Specific bug fixes and feature additions include AirPlay 2 support for sharing videos, photos, music and more from a Mac directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV. addition of the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view, and improved audio latency on 2018 MacBook Pro models.

10.14.5 is however believed to be a maintenance update, mostly solving any bugs and security flaws that have cropped up since Mojave's 2018 debut. It's relatively rare for major Mac features to be launched through point releases.

Apple is expected to show off macOS 10.15 at WWDC 2019, which begins June 3 in San Jose. That release may eliminate support for a variety of legacy components, such as QuickTime7, Carbon, Ink, and Apple's own hardware RAID support. Indeed it should no longer allow 32-bit apps, which may cause problems for organizations dependent on old tools.

The OS should also include standalone apps for things previously integrated into iTunes, like Apple Music, plus iOS 13 carryovers such as a new Reminders app, Siri Shortcuts, and a merged Find My iPhone/Find My Friends.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    edac2edac2 Posts: 29member
    Does this fix the gmail bug?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member
    Are you referring to the authentication problem G-Suite users had? Then that was "fixed" a long time ago by "someone" (either Apple or Google) updating certificates or by some other server-side fix.
    fastasleepmacawesome88
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Since none of the developers of my favorite programs I use seem to have any interest in updating to 64-bit I don’t think I’ll be updating to 10.15 any time soon, if ever. I hope Apple keeps the security updates coming for us sticking with 10.14
  • Reply 4 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Anyone know what the audio latency thing was in 2018 MBPs? First I've heard of that, just curious.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    Anyone know what the audio latency thing was in 2018 MBPs? First I've heard of that, just curious.
    https://www.extremetech.com/computing/285971-apples-latest-macs-have-a-serious-usb-audio-problem
  • Reply 6 of 9
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    tyler82 said:
    Since none of the developers of my favorite programs I use seem to have any interest in updating to 64-bit I don’t think I’ll be updating to 10.15 any time soon, if ever. I hope Apple keeps the security updates coming for us sticking with 10.14
    Luckily, it’ll probably be close to a year before it comes out. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    swat671 said:
    tyler82 said:
    Luckily, it’ll probably be close to a year before it comes out. 
    To tyler82: macOS versions continue to get security and compatibility updates for about three years after they are replaced, so Mojave will be actively supported until approximately the fall of 2022 if Apple sticks to the usual pattern.

To swat761: Nope. It’s being previewed next month and will be out this fall. Just like every year.
    edited May 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    swat671 said:
    https://www.extremetech.com/computing/285971-apples-latest-macs-have-a-serious-usb-audio-problem
    Oh, that? It didn’t mention usb devices so wasn’t sure. Is this for sure what’s fixed now?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    edac2edac2 Posts: 29member
    After updating to 10.14.5, I still had to re-authorize my five normal (non-G-Suite) Gmail accounts in Safari, but unlike with 10.14.4 this seemingly unnecessary step now works.