You make the call: AE Base vs. Linksys G

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So.

I'm going to get a Powerbooklet from Apple and I can't decide on the AE base station. I will also need a 4 port router for my network eventually.

I see that Linksys has a Wireless G Router which in theory solves all my problems at a great price. However, I am totally leary of using non-Apple network stuff. I'm pretty good at Mac tech stuff (although will be a newbie to OSX), but don't have any network experience other than setting up the tcp/ip control panel etc.

So I ask for your comments:

What will and what won't the Linksys box do for me? I am concerned about security so I want encryption and the like.

Or

Is is better to stick with the AE Base and get a stand alone router?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Vote for LinkSys here.

I use a Linksys 4 port DSL wireless router (802.11b). I have found the range to be much better than the airport base station I used to use (the LinkSys has external antennae - Apple is too concerned with looks to do that so they suffer in the range dept.)

Only thing you won't get with the LinkSys is the USB printer hub (doesn't the AE base station have that?). So that might be a deciding factor...

Oh, and one other thing. I use to have my LAN like this:

WAN <--> router (non-wireless) <--> base station <--> machines.

I found that by consolidating the wireless hub with the router, my LAN throughput has been improved signifigantly (I used to get collisions all over the place). Now that might just be because I had my LAN set up weird (wrong), but the consolidation means I don't even have the option to screw it up.

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: The Pie Man ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I have the linksys 11b product here. I dunno if it's the AE card in the PB or the 4 port router, butt he range is excellent. From opposite corners of the house, basement rear to second floor front, the PB picks up a steady three bars, sometimes this drops to two and sometimes it spikes to 4 ??? who knows why? In any case, reception is great and the product works a charm.

If you can get a deal on an 11b version (like we did) consider it. No internet connection is going to p[rovide more than 3Mbps anyway, three or four computers in the home won't see a difference. If you need the speed of g to swap files, you cn always just use 11g cards to let the macs talk to each other directly, I assume you can get PC's to do this aswell.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by WelshDog:

<strong>Is is better to stick with the AE Base and get a stand alone router?

Thanks in advance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do you need a stand-alone router with an AirPort Base Station? The ABS has a built-in router. All you have to do is supply it with ports to route to by adding a hub.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I can report excellent luck with the AE Base Station. You can buy a version that accepts your choice of antenna if the built-in signal isn't adequate. However, in the case of the ABS I set up for my mom, she gets four bars all through her house, and all over her property, so that's not necessary.

There's also a USB port for a printer, built-in router, etc. It's a very nice little UFO, and the price is more reasonable now.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Come to think of it that printer port is a great feature. We got a really good deal on this linksys on account of my brother's work, but if I had to do again I would consider a product with a USB printer sharing option. 54 vs 11, iDunno if that matters, but the printer thing is a good idea.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Just so I won't confuse anyone, I am WelshDog, I use a Daeargiman when I am at home. Don't know why, sometimes things happen.

[quote]Originally posted by frawgz:

<strong>

Why do you need a stand-alone router with an AirPort Base Station? The ABS has a built-in router. All you have to do is supply it with ports to route to by adding a hub.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahh, good point. See, this is why I ask questions.

My current setup is/will be this: 12" PB on AE, Beige G3 on ethernet, Color Classic on ethernet. So I guess adding a hub will be all I need to do with the AE Base.

[quote]<strong> 54 vs 11, idunno if that matters, but the printer thing is a good idea. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree and I will add a cheap printer to put on the USB port since my Photosmart P1100 will not USB printer share.

When I replace the Beige Bomber with a Super Ultra Mega Power Mac Extreme 970 I'll put it on the Airport.

Okay thanks I'm going with the AE Base. I think it has more going for it.

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: DaeargiMan ]</p>