Cheapest way to get prints of photos?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
iPhoto Kodak prints come out beautiful but its too much money. 49 cents a print. to me thats ridiculous

are there any cheaper alternatives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Buy a good photo printer. Epson has a good one (6-color inks, borderless prints) for $99. With the new inks and papers the prints will last for over 30 years. Even with the cost of paper and ink your snaps will cost far less than 49 cents a piece! You could print an 8x10 for less than that.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by NShirkey:

<strong>Buy a good photo printer. Epson has a good one (6-color inks, borderless prints) for $99. With the new inks and papers the prints will last for over 30 years. Even with the cost of paper and ink your snaps will cost far less than 49 cents a piece! You could print an 8x10 for less than that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

:-\\ are you sure..... i have an epson photo 750.... prints very nice photos but the ink doesnt last long and the paper, 4 x 6 isnt too expensive but isnt nearly the quality of a kodak print.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Though iPhoto Kodak is really expensive. . . it has about the best quality i have seen.

Other services I have seen prints from, the quality often varies per order. I guess just how the machines are operating any given day.

I'm no expert anymore since I became iPhotos bitch.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    try your local photolabs

they usually do prints directly from your memory card

i can get them for less than $0.49 Canadian, so i'm sure you will be able to find someone in NY who can do it for less than $0.49
  • Reply 5 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>iPhoto Kodak prints come out beautiful but its too much money. 49 cents a print. to me thats ridiculous

are there any cheaper alternatives?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd bet a photo inkjet would be the most expensive option unless you used it quite frequently...the inks do dry...and Epson printers waste a lot of ink while cleaning heads. Plus, they are nowhere near as permanent as photos developed onto film paper.

Your best bet is going to a local photomat with your flash card.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    If you're just printing snapshots, then I guess you should stick with the cheapest lab prints you can find. If you are a photographer, there is no way that a machine print can look as good as an Epson (or other photo-quality brand) print on good paper. Of course this assumes that you can use Photoshop and understand basic digital darkroom techniques.

I have 11x14 and larger Epson exhibition prints on display, and I sell many more. The Epson paper and inks I use are rated to last 70 years when framed under glass (which is what one usually does with 11x14 or larger prints.)

I agree that this is moot if you only need snapshots.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    If you really want integrity and quality of prints, try to find a dye-sublimation photo printer (it's what is inside all the Kodak picture maker setups). It runs quite fast and produces the glossy, waterproof archival prints some people want.

Me, though? How often do I actually look at pictures? Heh, almost never (maybe just immediately after an event/vacation). Just stick 'em on your iDisk and put it on a .mac homepage or whatever homepage, or just leave them in iPhoto and present them whenever family wants to see.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Costco in Toronto charges 29 cents (Canadian) per shot from a CD.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    [quote]Originally posted by Frank777:

<strong>Costco in Toronto charges 29 cents (Canadian) per shot from a CD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good quality?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I laugh when I see the Kodak infomercial. What a complete rip-off.

My local Photo place does Digital prints upto Poster size on the same quality Kodak paper for a lot less.

Their standard 3x5 is $0.28 and 4x6 is $0.32, just slightly more than their film photo prints.

However I recently upgraded my print capability with the Epson 2200 for my everyday prints. Very Nice.