Australian 'big four' bank NAB adopts Apple Pay, Westpac lone holdout

Posted:
in General Discussion
National Australia Bank (NAB) on Monday announced immediate support for Apple Pay, becoming the third of Australia's "big four" banks to integrate with Apple's payments platform after a failed boycott.

NAB

NAB announced the arrival of Apple Pay in a tweet posted to the bank's official account.

"It's here. NAB customers can now use Apple Pay. Just add your NAB Visa Card and start using Apple Pay wherever you can tap and pay. Apple Pay with NAB. Easy," the tweet reads.

Along with the announcement, an accompanying link points to a comprehensive mini-site detailing the service. Customers are provided information regarding compatible devices, credit and debit cards and a quick setup guide for iPhone and Apple Watch.

Ironically, NAB touts Apple Pay's security, a feature largely reliant on Apple's tight control of the NFC hardware stack to which NAB and its collaborators sought to access through a collective boycott in 2016.

In a move designed to put banks in a better position to bargain with then-newcomer Apple, Australia's Commonwealth Bank, National Australia Bank and Westpac Banking Corp, along with Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, filed a complaint with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission seeking to negotiate access to Apple's NFC technology. The banks initially sought to force Apple into integrating third-party mobile payments software with iPhone hardware and later requested direct access to iPhone's NFC controller.

The banking bloc argued its stipulations would foster increased competition and consumer choice, as well as accelerated innovation and investment in the digital wallet space.

In March 2017, the ACCC denied permission to collectively bargain and boycott Apple, putting an end to the banks' gambit.

With NAB on board, Westpac becomes the last of Australia's "big four" banks to resist Apple Pay.

Australia and New Zealand banking group, which was not involved in the attempted forced negotiations, was the first major lender to offer Apple Pay in 2016. The Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Australia's largest bank, rolled out support for the mobile payments solution late last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Resistance is futile...
    lollivermacseekerjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    Meanwhile in New Zealand, BNZ (owned by NAB) has had Apple Pay since October 2017, and Westpac NZ (owned by Westpac Australia) since April 2019.

ANZ was first in New Zealand to get Apple Pay, about the same time as ANZ Australia; ASB (owned by Commonwealth Bank) got Apple Pay in January 2019.

Perhaps NAB and Westpac Australia have technical issues they needed to resolve, or are they just being stubborn and trying to get a better deal due to size? I doubt Westpac Australia wants to be the odd one out for too long.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Don't Aussie banks support NFC in Google Android? It's a sincere question. Depending on the answer I will have an obvious follow-up question.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I predict the same thing will happen in Australia that has happened everywhere in the world where individual banks have been holdouts against Apple Pay: a significant number of customers start moving their accounts to bank that does support Apple Pay.
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    There is always one Kangaroo who creates headache for no reason. Eventually settles down.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Bastid! Of course my bank is the lone holdout.

And yes, I could move, but I have a lot of stuff tied up with them - more so over the past year, and not necessarily by choice.

Westpac are trying to sell their own wearable solution, not a watch, just an NFC tag on a wristband (or stuck to the back of your phone), but that can't be why. I'm sure it's just stubbornness.

The other problem is that I really like their iPhone App, especially for cardless withdrawals from their ATMs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Finally. I added my card as soon as I read this - have been waiting a long time. That said, it explains why NAB put all of their credit card annual fees up a few weeks ago - to recoup Apple’s fees from NAB customers.  :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Don't Aussie banks support NFC in Google Android? It's a sincere question. Depending on the answer I will have an obvious follow-up question.
    Yes. Using their own apps. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    leighr said:
    Finally. I added my card as soon as I read this - have been waiting a long time. That said, it explains why NAB put all of their credit card annual fees up a few weeks ago - to recoup Apple’s fees from NAB customers.  :(
    Apple's fee is TINY. If they are jacking up their annual fees, maybe it's time to look for a better credit card.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    leighr said:
    Nope. Here in the US it was reported that adopting a tokenized system like the one used by AP resulted in decreased fraud, saving the banks money and offsetting any fee paid to utilize the system. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Westpac what a pile of crap. Absolute no regards for what their customers want. Anyone coming to Australia or thinking of opening a bank account in Australia, this is a clear message who not to go with!!!

Their own tech... a wrist band, really!!. I can’t even call that tech, it’s almost embarrassing. 

Seriously, what a lousy, lousy bank.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    chasm said:
    I predict the same thing will happen in Australia that has happened everywhere in the world where individual banks have been holdouts against Apple Pay: a significant number of customers start moving their accounts to bank that does support Apple Pay.
    That is what happened a few years ago when ANZ was the first bank in Australia to support Apple Pay. ANZ new customer sign ups doubled following their implementation of Apple Pay and news from the other big banks that they would not be supporting it.

I myself moved to ANZ within a week of them supporting Apple Pay as did several other members of this forum. 

Not sure how long this trend continued but I think NAB has come to the party far too late to be attracting any significant number of new customers. ANZ would already have scooped many of them up over the last couple of years. 

Best NAB can hope for is they now won't lose customers to other banks over Apple Pay support. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Bastid! Of course my bank is the lone holdout.

And yes, I could move, but I have a lot of stuff tied up with them - more so over the past year, and not necessarily by choice.

Westpac are trying to sell their own wearable solution, not a watch, just an NFC tag on a wristband (or stuck to the back of your phone), but that can't be why. I'm sure it's just stubbornness.

The other problem is that I really like their iPhone App, especially for cardless withdrawals from their ATMs.
    I sympathise. I have most of my banking with Westpac, but also had two NAB cards from a previous life that I used occasionally. When ANZ was the only bank that would support ApplePay, I cancelled the NAB cards and closed all accounts with them and got a new card from NAB. So, still with Westpac (yes, love their banking app and internet banking site), but can use Apple Pay through ANZ - best of both worlds. As for NAB, I won't go back.
    watto_cobra