The best USB-C to Lightning cables released so far

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    payeco said:
    Jesus Christ, the 3m Nomad USB-C to Lightning is almost $50 dollars. The markup on that has to be close to 5000%.
    I doubt it. Some things just cost more. People are so jaded and suspicious these days. Cables used to cost $200 when $200 was worth a lot more. These are still cheap. The problem is that people are even cheaper.
    I don't think the "problem is that people are even cheaper," I think there's a comparative disparity.

When I needed a cable decades ago there were very few retail outlets from which to choose and within them only a few options (at best). Now we have countless options from countless sources and we don't have to drive across town to check it out.
    But also, those were much better cables. New designs, starting with usb and FireWire ended the metal coverings with locking screws. Also, they were parallel, which meant a lot of wiring and shielding. Today’s cables are meant more for consumer use than professional use as the old designs were. The change began around the time consumer sales of computing devices were moving in larger numbers to consumers.
    Better is both subjective and needs very defined terms in this sense.

Quality is certainly an issue these days, but there are a lot of factors that go into that. Cheap knockoffs that look identical (or at least close enough that the average person sees as identical because they have no other point of reference), a reduction harmful materials, much higher refinement of the metallurgy, and excessive use compared to decades past all of which can play a part in how these cables wear down.

Despite all those things (and more) I don't think a $100 SCSI cable is better than USB-C in terms of speed or versatility (to name just a couple things off what would be a massively long list) and really don't long for those days to return.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I am fun of Apple.
    But f...k them for not switching to USB-C on iPhone yet.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    payeco said:
    Jesus Christ, the 3m Nomad USB-C to Lightning is almost $50 dollars. The markup on that has to be close to 5000%.
    I doubt it. Some things just cost more. People are so jaded and suspicious these days. Cables used to cost $200 when $200 was worth a lot more. These are still cheap. The problem is that people are even cheaper.
    I don't think the "problem is that people are even cheaper," I think there's a comparative disparity.

When I needed a cable decades ago there were very few retail outlets from which to choose and within them only a few options (at best). Now we have countless options from countless sources and we don't have to drive across town to check it out.
    But also, those were much better cables. New designs, starting with usb and FireWire ended the metal coverings with locking screws. Also, they were parallel, which meant a lot of wiring and shielding. Today’s cables are meant more for consumer use than professional use as the old designs were. The change began around the time consumer sales of computing devices were moving in larger numbers to consumers.
    Better is both subjective and needs very defined terms in this sense.

Quality is certainly an issue these days, but there are a lot of factors that go into that. Cheap knockoffs that look identical (or at least close enough that the average person sees as identical because they have no other point of reference), a reduction harmful materials, much higher refinement of the metallurgy, and excessive use compared to decades past all of which can play a part in how these cables wear down.

Despite all those things (and more) I don't think a $100 SCSI cable is better than USB-C in terms of speed or versatility (to name just a couple things off what would be a massively long list) and really don't long for those days to return.
    Better in the sense that the quality was high because the cables were intended for more commercial use. Better because the metal connectors and sockets were built with durability in mind. Better because it was very difficult to damage the socket and connector if you screwed them together, or used the bails sometimes used instead.

modern connectors either use a small plastic catch, which easily breaks, or very small, and therefore weak springs. So it can come out easily. But the connectors and socketsare very small, and have little mechanical strength. Most plugs and connectors are rated for a small number of insertions, such as 25 or 50.

with desktops, where something is usually plugged in, and left there for some time. Mobile equipment is plugged in and out several times a day, often enough. The trajectories don’t match.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    urahara said:
    I am fun of Apple.
    Why? What’s the value add to me, vs the harm of switching?
  • Reply 25 of 54
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    urahara said:
    I am fun of Apple.
    Why?  You honestly think that the majority of iPhone users are using USB-C exclusively on laptops and other gear? I think you would incorrect. It's also not the end all when it comes to charging and connecting devices.. Here are a couple of interesting articles I read..

• Reply 26 of 54
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    StrangeDays said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Why?  You honestly think that the majority of iPhone users are using USB-C exclusively on laptops and other gear? I think you would incorrect. It's also not the end all when it comes to charging and connecting devices..
    (I know that wasn't directed at me, but thought I'd chime in...)

Yeah, there are lots of issues with USB-C, but I think the reasons I'd like to see it across the line, is that if they are standardizing on it for the desktop, laptop, and pro iPads, then it would be really nice to just have the one connection type to worry about.

But, even more, now with iOS getting a proper file-system and access, it would be nice to just be able to plug in newer USB-C type storage devices (yeah, we'd still need adapters for older ones, but it would help).
  • Reply 27 of 54
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    We get pitched a lot of knock-off junk on an hourly basis -- these cables are not that. All of these cables we've tested ourselves and verified Apple certification before recommending them. All of the cables have similar specs including support for 18W of power.

No need to compare, any MFI certified cable would do the job. Without MFI it is junk because although you can charge on the charger you can’t connect your iPhone / iPad to the Mac, trust issues occur.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 28 of 54
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    melgross said:
    payeco said:
    Ya, and we also use to have software dongles that were outrageous. Dot-matrix printers were pretty expensive as well. Times change, we now have global competition and automation that didn't exist back when Monster Cables were $200-$300.

melgross said:

Interesting not seeing Anker here. I bought a pair of Anker USB C to USB C cables a few months ago. Mostly for fast charging with my iPad Pro 12.9” 2018. These were highly rated (several hundred reviews averaging 4.5 stars) on Amazon, and Anker has a good name. I’ve got a few of their hi power chargers which work well.

but for charging, the cables are crap. They’re slower than every other cable I have. I’m beginning to be very cranky when buying cables. Apple’s work as stated. Belkin’s as well. A couple of Chinese cables with no name I’m familiar with also work well. Though be careful there. If a cable isn’t done correctly, it, or your device, could catch fire.

i know those aren’t lightning to USB C but I thought I should bring it up as we’re moving to USB C everywhere.
    ? They gave the Anker PowerLine II's 4/5.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    cgWerks said:
    StrangeDays said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Why?  You honestly think that the majority of iPhone users are using USB-C exclusively on laptops and other gear? I think you would incorrect. It's also not the end all when it comes to charging and connecting devices..

Yeah, there are lots of issues with USB-C, but I think the reasons I'd like to see it across the line, is that if they are standardizing on it for the desktop, laptop, and pro iPads, then it would be really nice to just have the one connection type to worry about.

But, even more, now with iOS getting a proper file-system and access, it would be nice to just be able to plug in newer USB-C type storage devices (yeah, we'd still need adapters for older ones, but it would help).
    Saying it would be nice to have across the line is reasonable, but " F*** Apple" for not including it on the 2019 iPhone as the OP said is just ridiculous.  I thought that the iPad line was getting iPad OS?

I believe that many more people own iPhone or lightning equipped devices at this point than the newest iPad or USB-C only macs. So ditching lightning would be a much larger inconvenience and change for the majority of Apple customers than it would for the small percentage of users who are USB-C only at this point in my opinion.

Currently I am using USB-C in my home with a couple of Qi wireless chargers and my newest pair of earbuds charging case... and that's it. My Macs at home are pre USB-C ( Mid 2011 )  and running fine, and my company supplied work laptop is USB 3.0.

• Reply 30 of 54
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    cgWerks said:
    StrangeDays said:
    jcs2305 said:

The more I learn about USB C, the less enamored I become. 

Good: One single connector and you can charge with it. And it's reversible.
    Bad: A USB C port means nothing - it could be USB 2, USB 3, Thunderbolt, Charging, any of the above or none of the above (well, maybe not none.) A USB C cable may work for one of the above, all of the above, or some combination. There is no standardization in terms of marking, so it can be difficult or impossible to know the capabilities of a port or a cable. Then there's the possibility of damage if the wrong combination is used.

Before we had a USB port and a thunderbolt port with the respective cables. Now we have USB C ports that may or may not be thunderbolt-capable and we have to figure out which of the identical USB C cables is TB-capable. (Currently, all Apple laptops support everything on their USB C ports, so it simplifies that end of it, but not the cable piece, and universal port ability is not universal among all computers.)

So what's the difference and/or real benefit of USB C? If it really was one port, one cable it would be great, but it's not. It's one connector with ambiguous ports and ambiguous cables. 
    edited August 2019 cgWerks
  • Reply 31 of 54
    I grabbed all three cables and have no issues with them. They are certified through Apple so they are guaranteed at least some level of durability and performance.
    I'm not sure if that's really a good criteria for recommendation. I've bought so many freaking USB-C to Lightning cables (various brands, not going for the cheapest by any means) that have broken after a few months of use. The weak link (pun intended) seems to always be the USB-C connector. The actual Apple cables hold up extremely well, but they don't make them available in the lengths I'm looking for (longstanding Apple cable problem).
  • Reply 32 of 54
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    jcs2305 said:
    I believe that many more people own iPhone or lightning equipped devices at this point than the newest iPad or USB-C only macs. So ditching lightning would be a much larger inconvenience and change for the majority of Apple customers than it would for the small percentage of users who are USB-C only at this point in my opinion. 

Currently I am using USB-C in my home with a couple of Qi wireless chargers and my newest pair of earbuds charging case... and that's it. My Macs at home are pre USB-C ( Mid 2011 )  and running fine, and my company supplied work laptop is USB 3.0. 
    Oh, absolutely. Lightning is far more popular than USB-C. It's just that USB-C is supposed to be the future, and Apple seems to not let popularity stand in the way of other such moves (ie: removing the 3.5mm port).

It would cause a lot of trouble for a lot of people, but would make the devices more readily connective to something besides chargers. I really don't have much of anything USB-C to plug in yet either. But, if I were buying something new, having USB-C ports on all my devices would make me more likely to look for the USB-C version rather than just buying the USB-A version.

MplsP said:
    The more I learn about USB C, the less enamored I become. 
    So what's the difference and/or real benefit of USB C? If it really was one port, one cable it would be great, but it's not. It's one connector with ambiguous ports and ambiguous cables. 
    Yeah, I hear you there. I guess as rare as it is, I have hope that it will one-day get more popular and will certainly be more popular than Lightning, of which adapters are extremely rare.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    What would be nice are for manufacturers of anything requiring an AC adapter remove them and just start using USB cables instead.  I'm tired of wall warts.  They're outdated.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I recently bought a 30 watt RavPower USB-C charger and 6 foot RavPower USB-C to lightning cable, I got both for a very good price, and they're both working good on my iPad Pro 10.5. I like that the charger is so tiny.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 35 of 54
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    What I would really like to have is a reliable Lightning to Aux male cable so I can plug in my iPhone to my car without having to use the dumb 3” dongle Apple sells. 
  • Reply 36 of 54
    fh-ace said:
    What I would really like to have is a reliable Lightning to Aux male cable so I can plug in my iPhone to my car without having to use the dumb 3” dongle Apple sells. 
    Why about the plethora of options aren't reliable?
  • Reply 37 of 54
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    Soli said:
    fh-ace said:
    Why about the plethora of options aren't reliable?
    I’ve tried 5 or 6 different cables and they either fail very quickly or put up the “not compatible” dialog or fall apart. Have gone back to the dongle for now as, while clunky, it works. 
  • Reply 38 of 54
    I'd be surprised if any of these cables cost more than 3 dollars to make. Lot's profiteering. If I want to be ripped off I can head over to Best Buy to pick up premium cables.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    I'd be surprised if any of these cables cost more than 3 dollars to make. Lot's profiteering. If I want to be ripped off I can head over to Best Buy to pick up premium cables.
    1) It's not just a cable, but the chip on the cables.

2a) Why do you think you should get the cable at cost?

2b) I don't know what these cables cost to make, but these are high data cables that allow for a lot of power to be delivered. I remember a time when we had no universal data cables and printer and SCSI cables cost considerably more and hardly pushed any data (and no power) compared to what we have at our hands today at a low cost.

3) If you think there's a market not being met that would still yield you a solid profit then I suggest you go after it. It's not like USB-C is not the future.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Soli said:
    1) It's not just a cable, but the chip on the cables.

2a) Why do you think you should get the cable at cost?

2b) I don't know what these cables cost to make, but these are high data cables that allow for a lot of power to be delivered. I remember a time when we had no universal data cables and printer and SCSI cables cost considerably more and hardly pushed any data (and no power) compared to what we have at our hands today at a low cost.

3) If you think there's a market not being met that would still yield you a solid profit then I suggest you go after it. It's not like USB-C is not the future.
    Yeah, I know all that. But these cables rival the cost of Thunderbolt cables which carry 40Gbps of data and 100w of power over USB-C (USB 2, USB 3 and TB) - The cable that does it all (PCI-e, Ethernet, HMDI, Display port, power, etc,). With that in mind, it's hard to see how a cable with far lower specs (USB 3 5Mbps and 18w of power) and capabilities (just connects to iPhones and iPads) cost just as much. Nobody is asking to get these cables at cost but I would expect to pick up a pack of 2 or 3 for $15 with aluminium covers, leather straps and fancy fibres of dubious value set aside. I've already gone nearly 100% USB-C/TB but these prices are seriously inflated compared to similar cables I've bought.