Reasons for teaching with an iBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My girlfriend has iBook fever. Not that I blame her, so have I. So here's the deal. She's trying to convince her parents to help her get one as a birthday present. Her campaign is outlined rather well and one of the prime selling points is that she'll be able to make great use of it as a 3rd grade teacher. (She's an elementary Ed. major) Can anyone point me to some good articles on the usefulness of our favorite little consumer notebook in that particular field?

thanks abunch,

Guartho

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Oh yeah, and we're also looking for iBook movies in general.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Shouldn't she be buying it herself?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Thanks Xidius. What we'd really like are articles about or by elementary teachers or teachers in general. Along the lines of the Fabiola Torres

switch story.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    My mother's a teacher and she uses her iBook to make powerpoint presentations, iMovies, and even lets the students play games on it (when they are good) The school issued her the notebook, but she's made some pretty cool things with it. A computer is necessary in the digital age, and portability is a must for teachers.. That's bout it, g'luck!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I didn't explore it too well but there is information and video here: <a href="http://www.apple.com/education/mobilecomputing/"; target="_blank">Apple: Mobile Computing</a>
  • Reply 6 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'm going to cut against the grain here and suggest that there's very little an iBook or any computer for that matter can contribute to the classroom experience of a bunch of GRADE THREE children. It might help the teacher keep things organized, grades, lesson plans, calendar/schedule, but what will it actually do for the children?

Unless you are extremely commited to creating multimedia content for them, and are GOOD at it, it won't contribute much of anything. I'm making an iMovie for a seminar. It's a lot of work, take photos, shoot some video, record my voice and bodge it all together. And this is for adults. Imagine what you have to come up with for children?

I know one teacher who uses a web page as a teaching tool, she designed it herself and posts lessons, instructions, video, Q&A and assignments to it. However, she teaches media arts and the children are older than grade three.

Funny thing, before anyone gets to touch a computer in her class, they spend time working on the problem. DON'T teach software, teach idioms for design, problem solving, art skills. Software is incedental, there'll always be new software to learn anyway.

I would venture that children in grade three need to learn skills. Read, write, vocabulary, spell, proto-thinking skills, the rudiments of communication and logic. No computer will help you there.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I'm going to cut against the grain here and suggest...</strong><hr></blockquote>

All very good points but shhhh... don't tell her mom.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Well, it's all been rendered moot. She's ordered it on her own out of Macfever induced impatience.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Well, it's all been rendered moot. She's ordered it on her own out of Macfever induced impatience.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    This isn;t really on topic, but...

My fatherinlaw is an elem principal. His school has lots of G3 iMacs and eMacs. ALL are networked on airports (several basestations bridged throughout the building).

He himself gets a new pBook every couple of years (he got a new Ti just b4 christmas)

It's just such an elegant setup through the whole school... and it all works, all the time .... there is NO full-time IT person to keep the networks running.

Like I said ... off topic ... but I can see why schools like macs.