Apple CFO Comments

mcqmcq
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just saw this on MacMinute:

Apple CFO says goal is to raise marketshare

February 25 - 21:45 EST Speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology Symposium, Apple Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson said the company's aim is to expand its share of the computer market, and that a "good intermediate" goal would be to reach 5% marketshare from 3% today, reports Dow Jones. Anderson also said the company's target is to get to US$8 billion of annual revenue, and that Mac users are also "going to see more and more software coming out of Apple."

Related link:

<a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030225/2020001180_1.html"; target="_blank">http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030225/2020001180_1.html</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    It's kind of odd, today I had a long conversation with my girlfriend about how I feel Apple is in the middle of a very big long-term plan.

AND, she pretended to care.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by iBrowse:

<strong>

AND, she pretended to care.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's when you know it's true love. My gf was upset with me when I didn't tell her that MWSF happened earlier in the day. Beat that!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

That's when you know it's true love. My gf was upset with me when I didn't tell her that MWSF happened earlier in the day. Beat that! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Man, that's tough. She's all about getting a 12" PowerBook, but caring about MacWorld... Wow.

But anyway, I really hope to see Apple do what I think they are doing; bringing the Mac platform away from depending on Microsoft's applications. We've seen Keynote, many people are speculating whether or not Apple is going to pump up a new version of AppleWorks, Safari will replace IE as the standard Mac browser once it matures. I really hope Apple can crank out some top quality software. Does anybody else not like the idea of Microsoft buying Connectix? I can just see a future version of VPC running only some Windows Lite.

I think that if Apple can prove to the world that they know what they are doing, and can do it well, they can win a little more market share.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ibrowse-

I don't think we need Windows that much anymore. Apple knows it has no chance in the Business Market. Filled to the gills with freshly minted MCSE's and other Microshaft shills who smile everytime something breaks because it's job security.

The Internet truly has changed so much. PDF has changed things as well. The Macintosh experience is weaning itself from the grips of Microsoft. I welcome Apple coming out with more products. I hate to see Apple have to grab the torch and run but some developers just havent' stepped up. I know that many are fighting to survive the rough economy...those that do will hopefully benefit from the improvement that is inevitably coming.

8 Billion in Revenue. Let's hope they hit that very quickly. That means more adverstising..that means more R&D that means a better Macintosh product.

I'll be adding my $$$ towards that goal hopefully late this year. I will be supporting Developers who make good products support the Mac. I will do my part.

We've got to evangelize. We have front row seats to what's going to be a nice run here. I can't wait.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>ibrowse-

I don't think we need Windows that much anymore.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Me neither, but some people do. If there's somebody that wants a Mac, but needs to run just one app in Windows, I'd rather see them buy a Mac and run VPC occasionally than settle on the PC for one piece of software. The thing with Microsoft buying Connectix is that VPC is a very good thing for those who do need it, but now it is another chance for Microsoft to offer the Mac platform poor software.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    iBrowse said:

[quote]Man, that's tough. She's all about getting a 12" PowerBook, but caring about MacWorld... Wow. <hr></blockquote>

LMAO

I know my wife cares so little about computers, I sometimes wonder if it's going to work out! However she does want an iBook for her work.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    8 Billion in revenue. Wowzers.

Either Anderson is counting on the 970-based Power Macs selling like duct tape after a High Terror Alert, or he is planning to raise the base price of an iMac to $5000.00 !
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by Frank777:

<strong>8 Billion in revenue. Wowzers.

Either Anderson is counting on the 970-based Power Macs selling like duct tape after a High Terror Alert, or he is planning to raise the base price of an iMac to $5000.00 ! </strong><hr></blockquote>

haha...sad that we can say things like that now...duct tape selling so quickly...perhaps it was a ploy and really part of bush's stimulus plan to get people putting their money into the economy
  • Reply 9 of 16
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Its good to see Apple being so ambitious to gain marketg share. I hope to see more exciting products, software and prices!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>The Internet truly has changed so much. PDF has changed things as well. The Macintosh experience is weaning itself from the grips of Microsoft. I welcome Apple coming out with more products. I hate to see Apple have to grab the torch and run but some developers just havent' stepped up. I know that many are fighting to survive the rough economy...those that do will hopefully benefit from the improvement that is inevitably coming.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know it's paradoxical, but I think if Apple treads carefully and is very prolific in the next several months with new software (and innovation), it can galvanize, rather than discourage, the developer community. Users like to see a menagerie of well-written, innovative, and easy to use software, regardless of where it's coming from, and Apple is a good brand both hardware and software wise. As long as they can attract users to the platform as a whole, developers will continue to develop and do their thing.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by frawgz:

<strong>

I know it's paradoxical, but I think if Apple treads carefully and is very prolific in the next several months with new software (and innovation), it can galvanize, rather than discourage, the developer community.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess it's a catch 22, but some developers may be discouraged if Apple is too prolific, as there will be few gaps left in the market, which is already small at best. Apple seem to have all the main applications covered, and most are freely available as downloads or installed on new machines. Other than for games, which will probably be Windows ports anyway, I can't see many more developers being attracted to the Mac platform, even if the user base increases significantly.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Some two years ago somebody big at Apple said something about somehow reaching 10% marketshare. And now we have raised the plank to 5%!

By the way, what is Apple's annual revenue these last years?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Unfortunately Jobs, stated the same goal about 2 years ago...and marketshare has only dropped since.

But it's not like they've been just sitting around and doing nothing...new products, but still the same damn problem--too high prices.

Perhaps they've finally realized that marketshare = revenue

So lower prices by 20% and we'll see both the percentage point and the bottom line go up.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>Unfortunately Jobs, stated the same goal about 2 years ago...and marketshare has only dropped since.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, it was called 9/11. We're STILL feeling the aftermath of that.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by costique:

<strong>Some two years ago somebody big at Apple said something about somehow reaching 10% marketshare. And now we have raised the plank to 5%!

By the way, what is Apple's annual revenue these last years?</strong><hr></blockquote>

But costique..the "Pie" is much larger. Hitting %10 today is Millions upon Millions of new users. That takes time.

[quote] I can't see many more developers being attracted to the Mac platform, even if the user base increases significantly.

<hr></blockquote>

It's a shame so many Developers look at the PC market like a Goose the lays Golden Eggs but piracy is so rampant good luck on developing an app that isn't distributed using any one of the 50 P2P clients. There's this prevailing attitude woven into the PC Community that computers should be cheap and you should not pay for software. Developers need to take heed. Think Emagic is missing all those PC Support calls from people using "cracked" versions of their software?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>

Yeah, it was called 9/11. We're STILL feeling the aftermath of that. </strong><hr></blockquote>

One can only use 9-11 as an excuse for so long. Yes, it had an effect. But Apple's still high prices for it's Pro line and iMac show they're not moving in the right direction.

The laptops are much better.

I'm not advocating a Dell like approach (even though they're successful) with budget pricing, just make prices competitive enough for one to consider switching for a slight premium.