Compared: The 2019 iPod touch blows away the 2015 version in real world tests

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2019
On the surface, it looks like the iPod touch has only a slight spec bump over the sixth-generation iPod from four years ago. To see how that plays out day to day, we've pitted both against one another in this direct comparison.

iPod touch 6th and 7th generation
iPod touch 6th and 7th generation look near identical

Even under the closest examination, we don't see any modifications Apple has done on the outside, minus regulatory markings on the back panel. Apple has worked with the requisite regulatory agencies in the past to have those marks removed from previous devices and instead displays them digitally within the Settings app. Otherwise, these two devices look the same -- down to the color of blue.

After turning them on and being sure they are both completely up to date -- iOS 12.3.1 -- we ran a few different tests.

iPod touch Geekbench results (6th left & 7th gen right)
iPod touch Geekbench results (6th left & 7th gen right)

First, we ran Geekbench 4 which gave us scores of 1237 and 2331 on the sixth-generation and 2714 and 4706 on the seventh-generation on the single and multi-core tests respectively. That is a good gain for a processor that is two years newer, though it does seem to be underclocked, versus the same A10 in the iPhone 7.

iPod touch Antutu results (6th left & 7th gen right)
iPod touch Antutu results (6th left & 7th gen right)

While we were at it, we also ran the Antutu benchmark. The previous generation pulled a 71685 combined score which is far below the 158191 that was garnered on the latest model.

Then we came to real-world tests. To do so, we opened a series of apps to see how quickly they could launch them. Each started from a clean slate with all apps closed and immediately following a reboot while plugged in. As you can see in the video the iPod touch seventh-gen quickly ran away with the lead, launching apps far faster than that of its predecessor. This is very impactful to how users actually use their iPods.

While there has been a lot of griping regarding the inclusion of the A10 instead of the A11 or A12 processor in the iPod touch, in real-world use we are seeing great performance gains that make it a far superior device.

Where to buy

Both B&H Photo and Amazon are currently accepting preorders for the seventh-generation iPod touch in a variety of colors and storage capacities.

32GB iPod touch (2019) 128GB iPod touch (2019) 256GB iPod touch (2019)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Respectfully, Andrew, no one is questioning whether or not the updated iPod Touch is a meaningful improvement from the last gen - and you know that, too.
    It’s all to do with Apple’s curious choices when it comes to the components used. Many of us understand there is product segmentation to consider; but even then, it still is a bit quixotic for Apple to not include the latest Bluetooth (relatively low dollar component) and the last (as in previous) generation ARM processor.
     I’m frustrated that the minds behind this release are also responsible for delivering Apple’s next Big Thing - which makes me think I’m not going to be terribly enthused.
    Hoping that WWDC brings some good news to offset this ho-hum.
    AI_liasentropysn2itivguychemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Respectfully, Andrew, no one is questioning whether or not the updated iPod Touch is a meaningful improvement from the last gen - and you know that, too.
    It’s all to do with Apple’s curious choices when it comes to the components used. Many of us understand there is product segmentation to consider; but even then, it still is a bit quixotic for Apple to not include the latest Bluetooth (relatively low dollar component) and the last (as in previous) generation ARM processor.
     I’m frustrated that the minds behind this release are also responsible for delivering Apple’s next Big Thing - which makes me think I’m not going to be terribly enthused.
    Our #1 question in email and on social media has been "is the new one a lot faster, can you compare the two."

By far. It isn't even close.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    square icon lives to see another day!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This is a significant update to old iPod. If this product ended how many would even care, but you’re trying to tie this to WWDC as a harbinger of doom even though this was released before the developer’s conference? If this first announced and showcase during the keynote then you might have a case that Apple’s pipeline is limited right now. Keep in mine that   In 2016, 2017, and 2018 had no iPod Touch update. Did you think Apple’s ARM efforts were poor because the Touch wasn’t updated? I don’t.
    StrangeDayschiaclaire1
  • Reply 5 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Many of us understand there is product segmentation to consider; but even then, it still is a bit quixotic for Apple to not include the latest Bluetooth (relatively low dollar component) and the last (as in previous) generation ARM processor. I’m frustrated that the minds behind this release are also responsible for delivering Apple’s next Big Thing - which makes me think I’m not going to be terribly enthused.

While a agree with the sentiment, a don’t believe “quixotic” is quite the right label. Quixotic implies noble intent, even if ultimately a failure. I agree with the rest. Apple would have had to spend a bit of Q&A time when it inserted an updated, faster processor anyway. Why not get the comms chip an update while they were at it?  This the sort of thing that worries me too.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 6 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Translation: “I’m not actually in the market for this device, but I’m still disappointed.”

It must be trying to be continually disappointed in the world for not adhering to how one designs it in one’s mind.
    edited May 2019 lkrupp
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So specs are the only thing that matters. Unless it has the latest, greatest it’s a failure, a scam Apple is foisting on its loyal customers. Baloney.
    claire1
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Our #1 question in email and on social media has been "is the new one a lot faster, can you compare the two."
    By far. It isn't even close.

I'll take your word for that and withdraw my implication to Andrew; that sentiment wasn’t present (or prominent) in the comments which guided my initial comment.  My sentiment remains but I unfairly implied no one was asking for an article like this.

I suppose the trigger for me was the apparent defense of Apple vis-à-vis his comment about the processor gripes.  The fact that the newer processor is significantly faster than the last iteration does not invalidate the critique on processor choice.

• Reply 9 of 14
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    No Touch ID.... Would be a perfect "wallet" for teens and rich parents funding kids accounts.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Soli said:
    This is a significant update to old iPod. If this product ended how many would even care, but you’re trying to tie this to WWDC as a harbinger of doom even though this was released before the developer’s conference? If this first announced and showcase during the keynote then you might have a case that Apple’s pipeline is limited right now. Keep in mine that   In 2016, 2017, and 2018 had no iPod Touch update. Did you think Apple’s ARM efforts were poor because the Touch wasn’t updated? I don’t.
    I really am not tying this to WWDC - just acknowledging that it is the next (most likely) news update we’re going to get from Apple (and I will remain hopeful).
    My disappointment in the iPod update does not extend to concerns about ARM advancements and such - but rather that Apple (in the last several years) has shown an increased level of comfort in keeping old tech on the market for increasing long periods of time and (in a slight twist to that theme) now introducing something as new that is actually a year or two old (practically speaking - except it does have anew battery!).
    It certainly is wonderful that the tech they have put out remains useful for many years, but that fact does not justify this approach of drawing out the useful product life of “x” tech until the Apple faithful are near revolt as was the case with Mac mini and still with Mac Pro.
    I do believe the iPod Touch still is very relevant and deserving of upgrades - I simply disagree with how it was done this round and don’t want to see this pattern (as described above) continued.
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 11 of 14
    entropys said:

While a agree with the sentiment, a don’t believe “quixotic” is quite the right label. Quixotic implies noble intent, even if ultimately a failure. I agree with the rest. Apple would have had to spend a bit of Q&A time when it inserted an updated, faster processor anyway. Why not get the comms chip an update while they were at it?  This the sort of thing that worries me too.
    Ah! Thanks for the correction! I’ve (incorrectly) been using the term to convey misguided craziness. I stand corrected.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    StrangeDays said:

Translation: “I’m not actually in the market for this device, but I’m still disappointed.”

It must be trying to be continually disappointed in the world for not adhering to how one designs it in one’s mind.
    Corrected translation: If not for myself, I consider to whom I would recommend whatever it is Apple brings out.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion - a majority holding a similar opinion does not make it right just as a minority claiming something does not make it wrong. It is just prevailing sentiment that drives action.

i would try to dissuade you from your ad hominem castigations but that is probably hopeless. So, with that in mind:

It must really be a chore for you, wetting your pants with glee, over every Apple release.
    edited May 2019 n2itivguy
  • Reply 13 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    entropys said:
    Many of us understand there is product segmentation to consider; but even then, it still is a bit quixotic for Apple to not include the latest Bluetooth (relatively low dollar component) and the last (as in previous) generation ARM processor. I’m frustrated that the minds behind this release are also responsible for delivering Apple’s next Big Thing - which makes me think I’m not going to be terribly enthused.

Really? It "worries" you that Apple isn't focusing on updating every single component of the iPod, a product is barely even considered a product category anymore, is almost irrelevant, and not even in the top 50 hardware products in Apple's lineup? A product that they don't even advertise anymore, and haven't for years? Let me guess, this is some kind of sign that Apple is doomed, right? Enough with the concern trolling. The iPod is essentially an irrelevant product for Apple, and what they do with it provides zero insight about the company's performance and future.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Considering the 128 GB seventh generation iPod touch (2019) as a replacement for my 80 GB iPod classic (purchased in 2008, and repaired by a third party in 2014 - new battery and new micro-hard disk).  Will likely keep my 160 GB iPod classic (purchased in 2013) for a few more years.  Had wondered if iPod touch would be updated this year.