Apple decorates McEnery Convention Center with WWDC livery [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
Apple is livening up San Jose's McEnery Convention Center and the surrounding area with banners, flags, signs and other paraphernalia in preparation of its annual Worldwide Developer Conference next week.

WWDC 2019
Apple's WWDC 2019 decorations light up McEnery Convention Center | Source: AppleInsider reader Swat671

As seen in the photos above and below, decorations for WWDC 2019 have been installed in and around McEnery Convention Center proper as of Friday. Thousands of developers will descend on the locale next week to learn about Apple's latest operating systems and software.

Banners, flags and posters were put up on lampposts, trees and advertising kiosks early this week, but work on the convention center's facade is ongoing as of this writing.

Photos shared on Instagram by photographer "JCROW" show workers wrapping McEnery's front facade with a large cloth covering bearing a design that borrows graphical elements first seen in Apple's WWDC announcement in March. Subsequent promotional material has featured a head (or unicorn Animoji) exploding in a cloud of smoke, with Apple-related bits like logos for specialized APIs, emoji and coding characters spewing forth.

The artwork at McEnery differs from prior designs in that it bears the words "Dub Dub" realized in large script, a reference to WWDC's nickname.

WWDC 2019
McEnery Convention Center prepares for WWDC 2019. | Source: JCROW via Instagram

A photo of the convention center installation from AppleInsider reader "Swat167" shows custom neon lights illuminating the banner's icons, emoji and "Dub Dub" text. Construction workers were seen erecting the underpinnings of the special display early this week.

McEnery is the hub of Apple's convention and will serve as a starting point for many attendees. Beyond the opening keynote, the hall will host a number of educational sessions, guest lectures and other special events.

Apple is expected to reveal next-generation iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS operating systems at WWDC, as well as enhancements to first-party apps and services. The so-called Project Marzipan effort will also be a topic of discussion as the company details its plans for cross-platform iOS and macOS apps.

New hardware might also be part of the show, with rumors suggesting an unveiling of Apple's updated Mac Pro.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019, starting with the keynote on Monday, June 3. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    "Dub Dub"
    Anyone care to speculate what this is all about?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Steve Jobs Theatre is not good enough for Apple?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    mobird said:
    "Dub Dub"

Already thought of one - just waiting for some ignorant ass to say it.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mobird said:
    "Dub Dub"
    FTA: “The artwork at McEnery differs from prior designs in that it bears the words "Dub Dub" realized in large script, a reference to WWDC's nickname.”
    mobirdcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    viclauyyc said:
    I would think they would use that for hardware launches, not developers conferences which of course, have a lot more people.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    viclauyyc said:
    Much too small for WWDC.
    austinbazeRayz2016
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Jobs Theater holds 1,000. SJCC seats 4000-6000 if ballrooms are combined.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I know that graphics styles and trends come and go and Apple has to come up with new stuff each year, but I'm not liking that particular style compared to some of the previous years. Maybe it's the colors I'm not liking.

It's not a big deal though, because what matters is what's going to happen during the event and what's going to be announced of course, and not what a banner looks like.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 9 of 20
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    Looking really good right now at night
    caladanianchasmbloggerblogRayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 20
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    And there’s your clue ... dark mode.

Anyway, kudos for using the word “livery” ... not something you read every day, and I love seeing unusual words turn up in headlines.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    swat671 said:
    Looking really good right now at night
    I agree. That looks quite a bit better than the daylight image shown in the OP.
    edited June 2019 maima68392
  • Reply 12 of 20
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Why did apple pull out of sf? 
  • Reply 13 of 20
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    tyler82 said:
     To keep all WWDC activity in close proximity to Apple headquarters and other Apple office space?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    tyler82 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    tyler82 said:
     To keep all WWDC activity in close proximity to Apple headquarters and other Apple office space?
    Yes because SF if 45 minutes+ away and people had to keep going back and forth, back and forth. Basically, it was just more of a pain in the ass for Apple employees. 
  • Reply 15 of 20

viclauyyc said:
    Not when 5,000+ are going to be in attendance. Seems like we get this question every year. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 20
    macxpress said:
    tyler82 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    tyler82 said:
    Yes because SF if 45 minutes+ away and people had to keep going back and forth, back and forth. Basically, it was just more of a pain in the ass for Apple employees. 
    I’m just surprised it took them over a decade to realize this. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Many conventions have moved to San Jose because the homeless and crime issues are simply out of control in SF. While there are definitely homeless in SJ, you’re nowhere near as likely to step on human feces or be mugged on the way to your hotel.

When median single family homes reach $5 million in SF predicted next year thanks to Lyft and other IPOs, and the difference between having an apartment or not is $4000, not $400, the homeless issue will become quite worse in both cities.

I live in San Jose. Almost everything worth attending has come here. Hotel rates have soared to 500-1000/night mid-week.
    cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Many conventions have moved to San Jose because the homeless and crime issues are simply out of control in SF. While there are definitely homeless in SJ, you’re nowhere near as likely to step on human feces or be mugged on the way to your hotel.

When median single family homes reach $5 million in SF predicted next year thanks to Lyft and other IPOs, and the difference between having an apartment or not is $4000, not $400, the homeless issue will become quite worse in both cities.

I live in San Jose. Almost everything worth attending has come here. Hotel rates have soared to 500-1000/night mid-week.
    That was my first thought. SF has been losing conventions lately because of the street crime and attendees just don't feel safe there. I used to live there and when I go back, it is definitely worse.
    edited June 2019 cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 20
    tyler82 said:
    macxpress said:
    tyler82 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    tyler82 said:
    I’m just surprised it took them over a decade to realize this. 
    Yes it is strange. They've been there before a while back, but for some reason moved to SF before moving back SJ. 
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I can't wait for all of the whining and complaining after the Keynote. I'll go grab a pallet of tissues now....