Am I being unreasonable? (warning long story)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I bought what was probably the last 17" Studio Display (CRT) that was available in the Seattle market at the end of 2001. It developed a problem (bad convergence) so just before my warranty ended in 2002 I sent it in for repair.

3 repairs later and it still isn't right. Everytime I send it in, it comes back with a DIFFERENT problem. This process has lasted since October of 2002 (for those that are keeping count it has been 4.5 months now).

I have been working with someone at Apple Customer Relations and expressed with how frustrated I am over this. His solution was one of two things: They could give me a new monitor or I could send it back a 4th time to see if they could get it right.

Of course, they don't have anymore 17" CRTs, so I asked what they would be giving me. Turns out it is a 17" Mitsubishi monitor (black) with a standard VGA cable (not ADC like my Studio Display). I asked him why couldn't they offer me an Apple product? I'd settle for a discontinued refurbed 15" LCD, or if they could find one somewhere in their organization, I would gladly take a used Apple Studio 17" CRT. After all, I paid a premium at the time for an Apple-branded product (I could of paid just about half and got any old 17" non-Apple CRT) and I did so for two reasons: Style (Apple markets it's style and I bought it, not ashamed to admit it), and the ADC connector (like the less cable clutter).

So I feel like I'm caught in this endless loop. I have very little faith that Apple will properly fix my monitor, after all, they've tried 3 times and it is not in proper working order (the screen Bows on the vertical NOT horizontal, and still has some convergence issues). I will not settle for a non-Apple/non-matching/non-ADC monitor. So if I send it a 4th time (which I am) and it comes back still not properly fixed am I just stuck with their offer of the Mitsubishi or going through the whole thing a 5th time????

If anyone knows anything about Washington state's "lemon laws" and whether they would apply to my situation I would be glad to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks for reading.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: fuzz_ball ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Your best bet is to escalate the issue. Ask to speak to managers, or Level 2s, or threes, until you get someone who has enough clout to do something besides read off a worksheet. Be persistent.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Actually, last time I talked to the guy, I specifically asked "Who can I talk to that can make a decision about this?" and he said "That's me." So if there are levels above him, he certainly didn't let me through to them
  • Reply 3 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Tell them that the Mitsubishi is unacceptable as first of all, it doesn't have a USB hub built in which you need, and second of all, you shouldn't have to settle for a non-Apple product.

If the only thing they can do is fix the monitor, let it be fixed one more time. Then if it isn't good when you get it back, call back to the same guy again and say that it still isn't fixed, you are very upset with the service, and then you should have a great case for a new Apple brand monitor.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>and then you should have a great case for a new Apple brand monitor. </strong><hr></blockquote>

did i read brand new apple monitor?

go for the 17" lcd!!!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    They're just taking the p!ss. I hope you kept a note of who you spoke, and when, together with a record of all the repairs and how long you have had productive possession of the monitor compared to how long it has been away for repair.

Don't you have consumer complaints/concerns TV programmes over there. In the UK we have a programme called Watchdog, which names and shames companies and their dreadful customer support.

Or what about your consumer rights? In the UK goods have to be "fit for the purpose for which they were sold". That many repairs, in such a short period of time would suggest to me that your CRT just isn't up to the job.

I'd be dropping hints that your next port of call is a TV programme, or a local newspaper.

As for offering you a Mitsubishi monitor, that could be a blessing in disguise... you could get a lot of mileage out of an "Apple not confident in it's own products" accusation. You paid a premium for Apple's ease of use, integration, product design and ADC. Is Apple simply saying you're better off buying someone else's products? Extrapolate this and they might as well be saying don't buy our flat panels either - buy NEC's...

I certainly wouldn't be asking for the Mitsubishi or another repair - I'd be asking for my money back, or a 17" Apple Studio Display at not extra cost. It's only fair considering the hoops they've made you jump through.

I'm sorry to hear that it has come to this, in my experience Apple's support is second to none. But you have to nip it in the bud.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I'd return it one last time with a written letter stating the history of the monitor, the hassle you've been put through, and the fact that if it isn't repaired to your satisfaction this time, you want a replacement that's equivalent in todays terms, this being an Apple 17" LCD.

Although the picture quality on a Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube may be better than that on the Sony Trinitron tube (which was used in the Apple Studio CRT I think), you wouldn't be getting an Apple product, which is what you initially paid for.

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>

Although the picture quality on a Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube may be better than that on the Sony Trinitron tube (which was used in the Apple Studio CRT I think), you wouldn't be getting an Apple product, which is what you initially paid for.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The ADC CRT used a Diamondtron, afaik.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

did i read brand new apple monitor?

go for the 17" lcd!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Only if you're drunk and accidentally moved the word 'brand' before you read the word 'new'.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Well I got the name of the person in charge of customer relations so I'm going to send her a letter explaining my disappointment with the situation and see what happens next...