How to connect your PS4 and Xbox One Controller to an iPad or iPhone on iOS 13

Posted:
in iOS
You can now connect your PlayStation 4 Dualshock 4 controller and Xbox One S controller to iOS13 and tvOS. Here is how it works, and what you can do with it.

How to put PS4 controller in pairing mode
How to put PS4 controller in pairing mode

With the launch of Apple Arcade coming later this year, Apple announced during WWDC 2019 that they are now supporting PS4 and Xbox controllers natively on tvOS. But, that's not the best part. You can now also connect these controllers with your iOS device running iOS 13. So, let's walk you through how.

How-to connect a PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller

If you're like us and own a PS4, you can now connect your PS4 Dualshock controller to your iOS device, so long as it's running iOS 13.

The first thing you should do is go to the settings section on your iOS device and make sure Bluetooth is on, and once it's on, grab your PS4 controller and push and hold the PS button and share button at the same time for 5 seconds, or when you see the lightbar start blinking.

Once you see that light blink, you should now see "Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller" inside the Bluetooth settings on your device. Tap it to connect, and the lightbar should turn pink which means that the controller is now connected, and you can now play games like Real Racing, or Fortnite, or whatever games support controllers.

PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller
PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller

How-to connect an Xbox One S Controller

As for the Xbox One controller, you have to have the controller with the model number 1708, also known as the controller that ships with the Xbox One S, or if you'd like you can use the new Elite 2 controller that Xbox just announced at E3 which also supports Bluetooth connection.

Pairing mode on Xbox One S Controller
Pairing mode on Xbox One S Controller

We've had this custom Xbox One S controller for a couple of years now, and if yours won't connect for whatever reason, connect it to your PC or Xbox and make sure that the firmware is up to date, if it isn't, you'll most likely have issues connecting to your iOS device.

Xbox One S Controller Model 1708
Xbox One S Controller Model 1708

Just like the PS4 controller, all you have to do is turn the controller on and hit the connect button at the top, wait for the Xbox logo to start blinking rapidly and you should see "Xbox Wireless Controller" on the Bluetooth settings on your device. Tap it to connect and you should be good to go.

Xbox One S and PS4 Controller
Xbox One S and PS4 Controller

Where to buy PS4 and Xbox One S Controllers

The PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller is currently on sale for $39.99 at Amazon, while the Xbox One S Controller is $44.32 after an in-cart discount.

Those looking for Microsoft's new Elite Series 2 Controller can pre-order it now for $179.99, with an expected release date of Nov. 4, 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Kyle_Craft_COKyle_Craft_CO Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    :(. I want to connect my switch pro controller
    supadav03AppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 12
    VirtualBrownVirtualBrown Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    A couple questions: 1. Can you connect more than one controller to the iOS device? 2. How do you then revert the connection back to the PS4/xBox? Is it going to be laborious to swap controllers between devices?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    techsavytechsavy Posts: 34member
    Its a nice option to have, however I wonder if needing a controller to play games kinda ruin the point of the portability and accessibility of playing on the go.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    techsavy said:
    Its a nice option to have, however I wonder if needing a controller to play games kinda ruin the point of the portability and accessibility of playing on the go.
    On the flip side, if you can connect multiple controllers, your iPad (or iPhone with Airplay) now becomes a portable multiplayer gaming device.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I was just going to ask if a Switch Pro controller would work 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 5 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    techsavy said:
    Like you said, it’s an option. They can’t require an external controller. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    techsavy said:
    A controller is best when you mirror the game via AirPlay.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Dan!elDan!el Posts: 6member
    And now Sony needs to make Remote Play work with its controller too.
    And an TV version as well!
    edited June 2019 razorpit
  • Reply 9 of 12
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

I wonder if Nintendo declined?

This really needs to happen.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    rossb2rossb2 Posts: 89member
    This could make iPhones a competitor to the Nintendo switch, given the switch has issues around a poor , and expensive online offering , and lack of cloud saves unless you pay a high monthly fee.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    rossb2 said:
    This could make iPhones a competitor to the Nintendo switch, given the switch has issues around a poor , and expensive online offering , and lack of cloud saves unless you pay a high monthly fee.

The Switch games are incomparable.

Switch games are so far ahead it's like comparing an iPad to a knockoff from Samsung.
    razorpit
  • Reply 12 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    rossb2 said:
    High monthly fee? The individual Nintendo plan comes out to $1.67 per month and the family plan can be as low as $.36 per month if you have 8 users.

Other than disconnecting the controller through the Bluetooth settings, will the controllers eventually disconnect themselves without draining the battery completely?