Google teases triple lens camera system and square bump on Pixel 4

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
Google has started to tease the Pixel 4, an upcoming refresh of its Android smartphone, by tweeting an image of the mobile device's rear featuring a large square camera bump, one that seems similar in concept to the one rumored to be included in Apple's 2019 iPhones.

The 2019 iPhones are rumored to have a square camera bump on the rear of the device, enabling Apple to add an extra camera to each of the new models. While the addition is practical in nature, in order to fit three cameras into the space, it appears Google's future product launch may be doing something similar.

Posted to Twitter on Wednesday, the Made by Google account published an image of what appears to be the back of a smartphone, with a large square section in the top left corner housing three camera lenses and a flash. The lenses are arranged with one on the top with two below, and the flash residing at the base of the square.

Well, since there seems to be some interest, here you go! Wait 'til you see what it can do. #Pixel4 pic.twitter.com/RnpTNZXEI1

-- Made by Google (@madebygoogle)

The tweet confirms the image is for the new Pixel by using the hashtag #Pixel4, and showing the Google "G" branding on the device. The front of the smartphone isn't shown in the tweeted image.

The follow-up to the Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL, the Pixel 4 is rumored to be made available in both normal and XL versions, with the rear triple-camera setup potentially consisting of wide-angle and telephoto lenses as well as a "spectral sensor." On the front, rumors have varied from it including a "punch hole" camera to a multi-sensor array, similar to the TrueDepth camera Apple employs, which could result in Google coming up with its own Face ID-style system.

Based on previous Pixel launches, it is likely Google will reveal the Pixel 4 in October as part of a wider Made by Google event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    marsorrymarsorry Posts: 53member
    I'm not sure if I should cringe or laugh... If you can't beat 'em... copy (wait, no, what?)
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Considering how much junk we get about Apple’s phones every year before release, I think it would be a good idea for Apple to officially tease as well. We already get a lot of correct details at least a couple months before the introduction. Apple could do a much better job of this while still controlling expectations, and possibly even making it less interesting for those who release info now.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    marsorrymarsorry Posts: 53member
    melgross said:
    Considering how much junk we get about Apple’s phones every year before release, I think it would be a good idea for Apple to officially tease as well. We already get a lot of correct details at least a couple months before the introduction. Apple could do a much better job of this while still controlling expectations, and possibly even making it less interesting for those who release info now.
    I beg to differ, if you're actively looking for leaks, you'll find them. There's still a lot of value hearing and seeing something for the first time on stage - the wow factor never fails. However, if Apple were to consider making promises that don't materialize or underwealm - that could prove costly over the long run. This type of purchase is still emotionally driven and many people around the world don't follow or read insider news or leaks. Many probably visit Apple's website, catch the calendar invite and only watch Apple keynotes. In my view, that approach is hardly for people like us who frequent sites like appleinsider.com. When one sees a product too far in advance, leaving you with too much time to think might make people reconsider. I remember watching my very first Keynote from the launch of the original iPhone - never been blown away as much as I was then. Each year, I try my level best to avoid sites like this one months in advance or when I see anything to do with a "leak" - I simply skip over it to avoid getting any details - details create expectations, unrealized expectations ruin the experience of the final product. Works pretty well for me and each year, I'm satisfied with what I see on stage.
    edited June 2019 muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDaysgregoriusmlollivertobianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 53
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    marsorry said:
    I'm not sure if I should cringe or laugh... If you can't beat 'em... copy (wait, no, what?)
    Copy what? something that doesn't exist.
    gregoriusmavon b7jgojcajCarnagechemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    marsorry said:
    melgross said:
    I beg to differ, if you're actively looking for leaks, you'll find them. There's still a lot of value hearing and seeing something for the first time on stage - the wow factor never fails. However, if Apple were to consider making promises that don't materialize or underwealm - that could prove costly over the long run. This type of purchase is still emotionally driven and many people around the world don't follow or read insider news or leaks. Many probably visit Apple's website, catch the calendar invite and only watch Apple keynotes. In my view, that approach is hardly for people like us who frequent sites like appleinsider.com. When one sees a product too far in advance, leaving you with too much time to think might make people reconsider. I remember watching my very first Keynote from the launch of the original iPhone - never been blown away as much as I was then. Each year, I try my level best to avoid sites like this one months in advance or when I see anything to do with a "leak" - I simply skip over it to avoid getting any details - details create expectations, unrealized expectations ruin the experience of the final product. Works pretty well for me and each year, I'm satisfied with what I see on stage.
    The point of my post was that these leaks occur. They already manage our expectations. I’m not talking about Apple releasing everything before their event. I’m talking about a photo of a small pet if the phone. Apple takes these pictures all the time, and presents them on stage in a video. Often, we have no idea of what the picture is showing, justvthat it’s a beautiful portion of—something. That what I’m talking about. I said tease, not release.

most people are not like you, we search out every detail we can find right after the last product came out.

You’re overthinking this.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Motto spied on cubicle wall of google/HTC: "Flattery is our mother of invention"
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 53
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Dear Google: thanks for doing your bit to make the square bump (and presumably three cameras) cool. This will undoubtedly help Apple mitigate criticism when the new iPhones come out.

Sadly, your version is probably going to sell well under 4M units (total) like it always does, and you tricked your market into locking into your far cheaper meh-spyphone just recently so there's not a lot of call for your premium spyphone.
    AppleExposedStrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 53
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    One can laugh how some bash Apple and then mimic it's look.

I would praise Huawei and Samsung not going this way recently and doing their designs to differ. At leas on backside or on some models.

• Reply 9 of 53
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Google: Now we have 3 eyes on you!

StrangeDaysfrantisekwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Huawei...
    /looks at iPhone 11 renders
    /looks at Pixel 4 leaks
    {shakes head slowly}

...[thinks] this is why they want to ban us. :D

Article: "The follow-up to the Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL, the Pixel 4..."
    The Pixel 4 is the follow up to the Pixel 3.  The 3a and 3aXL was the launch of Google's mid range phones, not a follow up to the Pixel 3.

muthuk_vanalingamCarnagepscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 53
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    It's the notch all over again. It always amazes me how people are more concerned with how their phone looks rather than how it functions. The notch was born out of necessity and actually allowed Apple to make more efficient use of the screen. Similarly, camera and lens systems need a minimum depth to function. You either make the phone thicker or have a bump. Since the public is hyper-obsessed with thickness, the manufacturers are making a bump. Similarly, if you want to zoom or have multiple focal lengths, you either need a bulky and complex zoom lens mechanism or multiple lenses and a corresponding bump to house them.

Besides, everyone puts a case on their phone anyway, so what does it matter?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53
    MplsP said:
    It's the notch all over again. It always amazes me how people are more concerned with how their phone looks rather than how it functions. The notch was born out of necessity and actually allowed Apple to make more efficient use of the screen. Similarly, camera and lens systems need a minimum depth to function. You either make the phone thicker or have a bump. Since the public is hyper-obsessed with thickness, the manufacturers are making a bump. Similarly, if you want to zoom or have multiple focal lengths, you either need a bulky and complex zoom lens mechanism or multiple lenses and a corresponding bump to house them.

The embarassing part is the knockoffs copied the notch minus the function. Same will happen here IF Apple really releases this ugly thing.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Huawei...
    /looks at Pixel 4 leaks
    {shakes head slowly} 
    You're honestly touting that knockoff's ability for design? "Are you sure about that?" Some of their greatest hits:

AppleExposedlollivercrossladwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Huawei...
    /looks at Pixel 4 leaks
    {shakes head slowly} 
    You're honestly touting that knockoff's ability for design? "Are you sure about that?" Some of their greatest hits:
    I didn't tout anything about their design. I jokingly implied both Apple and Google were inspired by copied Huawei's square camera module design.  Looking at the images you provided... is it your opinion that Huawei copied elements of that phone from Apple?  If so, I'd agree somewhat on the rear.  The front though?  Nah, bud.  Apple has never had a phone with that much screen-to-body ratio.  That's a budget Huawei phone btw.  Should have chosen the Huawei Mate 20 Pro because the front of that flagship actually does copy the notch.  Ah, but then we would have seen the inspiration for my joke wouldn't we?  The headphones are obvious knockoffs, but we're discussing phones.  

It's obvious all of the OEM's  - including Apple - borrow from each other.  That square camera module is a Huawei inspiration that Apple and Google are going to use apparently.  You trying to throw shade at Huawei doesn't change that.  
    muthuk_vanalingamCarnageAbalos65
  • Reply 15 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    MplsP said:

The embarassing part is the knockoffs copied the notch minus the function. Same will happen here IF Apple really releases this ugly thing.
    Really? What were Sharp and Essential Phone copying?

What function was missing in those designs?
    muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 16 of 53
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    bigtds said:
    marsorry said:
    A: "Apple will have an ugly square camera bump."
    B: "Apple lost it, it's so ugly."

A: "Google will copy a square camera bump like Apple."
    B: "Copy what? Something that doesn't exist."

I love how double standard our life is.
    mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 53
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:

Really? What were Sharp and Essential Phone copying?

What function was missing in those designs?

Ah the typical "Apple copied the essential phone camera hole" meme.

Yeah Apple engineers were sitting around an iKnockoff thinking "we need to make FaceID based off this non-FaceID camera hole".

The kicker: Samsung and iKnockoff users refuse to call the Samsung camera hole a "notch". The irony swings full circle!

Huawei...
    /looks at Pixel 4 leaks
    {shakes head slowly} 
    I didn't tout anything about their design. I jokingly implied both Apple and Google were inspired by copied Huawei's square camera module design.  Looking at the images you provided... is it your opinion that Huawei copied elements of that phone from Apple?  If so, I'd agree somewhat on the rear.  The front though?  Nah, bud.  Apple has never had a phone with that much screen-to-body ratio.  That's a budget Huawei phone btw.  Should have chosen the Huawei Mate 20 Pro because the front of that flagship actually does copy the notch.  Ah, but then we would have seen the inspiration for my joke wouldn't we?  The headphones are obvious knockoffs, but we're discussing phones.  

It's obvious all of the OEM's  - including Apple - borrow from each other.  That square camera module is a Huawei inspiration that Apple and Google are going to use apparently.  You trying to throw shade at Huawei doesn't change that.  

Refuses to acknowledge the entire Android design and ecosystem is a knockoff of Apples to harvest user data.

" The headphones are obvious knockoffs, but we're discussing phones.  "

The ignorance....SMFH.
    lolliverMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    Huawei...
    /looks at Pixel 4 leaks
    {shakes head slowly} 

I think you've exhausted that line now. Why not take a pop at something else?

Dual Video?
    Dual and Tri Cameras?
    Square Camera Array?
    Fast Charging?
    Reverse Charging (wired and wireless)?
    Desktop Mode?
    Aperture Mode?
    Portrait Mode?
    Dual Frequency GPS?
    Night Mode?
    AIIS?
    3D Live Small Object Modelling?
    Bone Voice ID?
    Periscope Zoom?
    x3 and x5 Optical Zoom?
    X50 Digital Zoom?
    Gradient Finishing?
    Graphene Film Cooling?
    Micro Capsule Cooling?
    Vapour Chamber Cooling?
    5G modem?
    Cat 21 modem?
    World's Fastest Mobile Wi-Fi Chipset?
    Etc.

Are there any hits in there?

Knockoff, you say?

I think not.

bigtdsmuthuk_vanalingamCarnagechemengin1
  • Reply 19 of 53
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    kevin kee said:
    bigtds said:
    marsorry said:

How do you know who copied who? Neither phone is out yet. And rumor is the iPhone will have a night shot feature like Google. So are you OK with Apple copying? All these copying claims are getting old. Companies always use successful features from other companies. To think that Apple is the only one that can innovate or that others are always copying Apple is beyond ridiculous.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingamCarnagemazda 3schemengin1
  • Reply 20 of 53
    bigtds said:
    kevin kee said:
    bigtds said:
    marsorry said:

How do you know who copied who? Neither phone is out yet. And rumor is the iPhone will have a night shot feature like Google. So are you OK with Apple copying? All these copying claims are getting old. Companies always use successful features from other companies. To think that Apple is the only one that can innovate or that others are always copying Apple is beyond ridiculous.

Apple is the only one inventing.

Copying the iPhone/iPad/Mac/AirPods design and then slapping a throwaway feature(that will lose support next year) isn't innovation. Only iKnockoff users claim specs are innovative while holding their knockoffs in their hands.
    lolliverwatto_cobra