How do I decode this strange, windows file?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's called "winmail.dat." It's clearly an encoded PDF file, thanks to some snooping I've done. it came from an email.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    gigawiregigawire Posts: 196member
    Ever wonder where WINMAIL.DAT attachments come from? It's a Microsoft Exchange "feature". Since Exchange supports rich-text email (bold, italic, multiple fonts, etc.), and Internet email doesn't, any email sent from Exchange to a non-Exchange mail reader will contain an Attachment called WINMAIL.DAT. If you use Exchange, you won't see this file, and the message will retain its formatting. However, it can be confusing for those who don't use Exchange (You, I, and the majority of the Internet population), and have no use for this file.

In MS Outlook and Outlook Express:

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Format (or "Send") tab.

Under the Send tab is the message format list, select Plain Text or HTML(NOT Rich Text Format), and then click OK.

That is all there is to it!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Thanks, but is there any way that I can decode it once I've downloaded it? I sent it to my friend who uses Outlook on the PC and even he couldn't extract it.