People gravitating to PLEX

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Has anyone else noticed or heard of more and more people moving back to file sharing and specifically using PLEX? Do you use it and for what?

I have non-techy friends who love it and share movies & tv shows. I asked some of them what got them into it and most answers revolved around there being too many streaming options and wanting one place to get everything. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Crave and now AppleTV+ and Disney streaming coming is going to make things worse for consumers. 

The interface for PLEX on AppleTV is solid and relatively simple. I was thinking of jumping in.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,944member
    Has anyone else noticed or heard of more and more people moving back to file sharing and specifically using PLEX? Do you use it and for what?

I have non-techy friends who love it and share movies & tv shows. I asked some of them what got them into it and most answers revolved around there being too many streaming options and wanting one place to get everything. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Crave and now AppleTV+ and Disney streaming coming is going to make things worse for consumers. 

The interface for PLEX on AppleTV is solid and relatively simple. I was thinking of jumping in.
    I've tried to like Plex for years but have always had stupid problems with it.

When it works, it's great and people seem to have few issues but it is a pig when things don't go right. Multilingual support for content is still problematic. Localisation glitches.

The 'Plex Dance' and now it seems they taken the manual library refresh off the Shield TV, forcing you to refresh via web. It should update libraries 'automagically' (I have it configured to do so) but quite often it doesn't. It makes it tedious. As a result I just jump into Kodi.

YMMV but by all means give it a go.
    edited July 4 allmypeople
  • Reply 2 of 3
    allmypeopleallmypeople Posts: 382member
    avon b7 said:

When it works, it's great and people seem to have few issues but it is a pig when things don't go right. Multilingual support for content is still problematic. Localisation glitches.

The 'Plex Dance' and now it seems they taken the manual library refresh off the Shield TV, forcing you to refresh via web. It should update libraries 'automagically' (I have it configured to do so) but quite often it doesn't. It makes it tedious. As a result I just jump into Kodi.
    Great review and thanks for the heads-up on those issues!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 3,944member
    avon b7 said:

Great review and thanks for the heads-up on those issues!
    Remember that as Plex runs on so many platforms your mileage literally will vary.

I currently run it off a Shield TV. Strange Days runs it off a NAS (many do) and is very happy with it but you need a NAS with enough power to handle your Plex needs.

If others reply to your question it will give you a broader perspective to work on. Especially if you plan to run it off a specific platform (Mac, NAS, set top box etc).