Apple Card is here, find out all you need to know

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    steverobsteverob Posts: 10member
    I'll have to wait for the card to appear in the UK but I'm interested because of the additional security features. I'll read the additional comments on here after it has officially been launched and used.  The only point I'd make, and it's just a guess, but for regular payments such as iCloud subscriptions, Amazon etc I would have thought you be able to generate details AND specify that it's for regular payments so that number remains in force for that particular retailer - just a guess.  As so many have already said, it either suits or it doesn't and the choice to apply or not is yours.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 91
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    @Soli ;

First of all, the Fidelity 2% cashback card, Citi double cash card, and Paypal cashback card are all free cards that offer 2% cashback on ALL purchases. So yes, these all exceed the 2% offered by Apple on Apple Pay purchases only. Not to mention the various sign on bonuses, price protections, and extended warranty coverages these cards offer that Apple has yet to (if at all) announce for the Apple card. 

Seconf of all, regarding your "thousands of dollars" you spend each year directly from Apple, well, you're just a fool for spending full price when you can easily find the products (even new ones) for a discount much greater than the extra 1% you get with the Apple card. For example, Amazon is selling the new iPad Air for $469 while selling for $499 at the Apple Store. Many people have the Amazon Store card or Amazon Prime card, both giving 5% discount on ALL Amazon purchases. So in the Amazon example, 6% discount on base price plus 5% Amazon card discount is 11% total discount from purchasing from Amazon vs Apple Store. How does your 3% sound now?

You have fervently defended this Apple Card and decried anyone else with valid facts as to why the Apple card is not the best card as trolls which is clearly untrue.

%2 is more if it isn't Apple.

It's insane how people hypocritically bash Apple and get away with it. Apple always held to a higher standard.

Keep your unsafe, data collecting cards buddy and we'll keep our titanium ones.
    Amazon visa is a titanium card. it also has no foreign transaction fees.  
  • Reply 43 of 91
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    rob53 said:
    Does Apple Pay look credit card agnostic to the POS station or does it check to see what type of credit card it's using? I have my Citibank Visa from Costco as my Apple Pay credit card and Costco only takes Visa (all Visas now). It's my understanding that the Apple Card is a MasterCard. Is that correct? Will using Apple Pay at Costco see it as a MasterCard or just an accepted payment card?

I'm still getting one and will get rid of my extra cards I've kept to keep my credit card history higher.
    No, they know the source card.   I often see it on the receipt.
    Or, one of the grocery stores I frequent as well as pumps at Sheetz would (for awhile) only accept ApplePay from my Chase card but refuse it from my Discover card.  So, yeh, they know...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 91
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    It's as though every detractor of the Apple Card has failed to read or comprehend the auricle that apparently only servers to invited haters. They also claim that anybody saying anything positive about it is also saying it's the one card to rule them all and that it's better than every other card available.

None of those assertions are accurate. The article itemized a number of positive aspects of the card and doesn't make any false claims. An objective critic of the Card would realize that.

So many haters trot their six or seven cards detailing how each one has one or some of the features of the Apple Card while failing to realized that none of them have all or even nearly of the features of the Apple Card. 

The Card appeals to some people for different reasons, just as those who won't have it do have several cards for reasons that suit them. Their short sighted head up ass assessment 'if the Card doesn't suit me, it can't suit anyone'.

There is a obvious lack of reading comprehension among those who continue to ask questions or make statements about the Card contrary to the information provided in the article. Even those critics who may understand the article lack the objectivity to comprehend why their personal choice of a 'plethora of cards' may not be or isn't right for someone else.

So haters, (critics without fact or objectivity) grab any handful of non-Apple Cards that work for you. The trade off is none of them will have some of the Card's features, nor will any combination have them. But if that's ok by you, it's ok by me. I'm objective AF.
    StrangeDaysSoliwatto_cobramatrix077pscooter63
  • Reply 45 of 91
    mpantone said:
    felix01 said:

And how about when I have to generate a number for someone like Amazon which doesn’t accept ApplePay? Am I correct in assuming that number is only good for a single use? If so, that means I can’t use the card for a recurring bill without generating a new number for each use or for a monthly pay-off. For example, I can’t imagine generating a new number each month to pay for the newspaper. Now if that generated number is not for single use, these objections go away but then we are back to comparing the Apple Card to cards I already have which have better benefits.
    It is unclear how Apple will handle this. 

Certainly the technology has been around.

First of all, if you need to retrieve the card number, expiration date, and CVV, the Wallet app will reveal the information for "Card Not Present" transactions (like phone transactions).

As for generating card numbers for one-time or recurring payments, this feature has been around 15+ years. I had this in the early 2000s with MBNA America Visa card. They called it ShopSafe and one could generate a random credit card number for a one-time only purchase or a number for recurring payments. You could set the maximum transaction amount and change the expiration date. Bank of America acquired MBNA in 2006 and retained the ShopSafe feature for use with BofA branded cards.

Time will tell how Apple/Goldman Sachs will handle this. But it certainly is possible. Various other card issuers (including American Express and Discover) have had this technology at one point or another.
    Recurring charges?  
    I remember reading in an earlier article how that is set up, but I forget the details.

But, for me, I always do that on a separate card anyway because:  any card can be stolen and when that happens, it and its number are immediately cancelled.   That can play havoc with your recurring bills.   So, one of the first things I did (after learning the hard way) was to keep one card that is only ever used for recurring bills and otherwise locked in my desk drawer.

Since AppleCard will be new to you, that might be a good opportunity for you to do the same with your old card -- put it into semi-retirement only used for recurring bills.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    eightzero said:

"This Summer" means any time before September 23, 2019, given that Apple is based in the northern hemisphere. 
    Yes! Apple has more often than not waited until the last day or nearly the last day of their specified time frame to release a new product.

So I'm wondering why so many tech pendants have been saying 'it could be any day now' as though it is going to be any day now.

And though it literally could be any day now because it's summer, it's as though those people have their hand down their pants chanting 'any day now!'. Yes it could be today, tomorrow, or nest Tuesday. But did DigiTimes say it was going to be this week or next?  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 91
    GeorgeBMac said:
    Recurring charges?  ...Since AppleCard will be new to you, that might be a good opportunity for you to do the same with your old card -- put it into semi-retirement only used for recurring bills.
    That's a great idea. I don't recall anything being said about recurring charges tied to the Apple Card. But however simple or hard that might be, putting it on a card that never leaves the house is a set and forget thing. Well, there is the monthly paying them that still would need attention.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 91
    macgui said:
    It's as though every detractor of the Apple Card has failed to read or comprehend the auricle that apparently only servers to invited haters. They also claim that anybody saying anything positive about it is also saying it's the one card to rule them all and that it's better than every other card available.

None of those assertions are accurate. The article itemized a number of positive aspects of the card and doesn't make any false claims. An objective critic of the Card would realize that.

So many haters trot their six or seven cards detailing how each one has one or some of the features of the Apple Card while failing to realized that none of them have all or even nearly of the features of the Apple Card. 

The Card appeals to some people for different reasons, just as those who won't have it do have several cards for reasons that suit them. Their short sighted head up ass assessment 'if the Card doesn't suit me, it can't suit anyone'.

There is a obvious lack of reading comprehension among those who continue to ask questions or make statements about the Card contrary to the information provided in the article. Even those critics who may understand the article lack the objectivity to comprehend why their personal choice of a 'plethora of cards' may not be or isn't right for someone else.

So haters, (critics without fact or objectivity) grab any handful of non-Apple Cards that work for you. The trade off is none of them will have some of the Card's features, nor will any combination have them. But if that's ok by you, it's ok by me. I'm objective AF.
    I think, for some reason, this Apple Card has brought out both extremes:   The haters who find reasons to trash it and the lovers unable to see that it isn't the bestest card ever without exception...

For myself, I plan to use it for general purposes, but keep my other cards and use them when and as appropriate.  For instance, right now Discover is giving 5% back on PayPal purchases.   So, when using PayPal (which I use for most online purchases) I'll use my Discover Card through September.   And, as I mentioned previously, I'll keep one card locked in a drawer that is only used for recurring purchases so, if my "main" card is stolen, I don't have to worry about those recurring charges, I can just let the card be cancelled and reissued.

To me, a credit card is basically just a tool.   Some tools are better than others -- particularly under specific circumstances:  an electric screw driver is a marvel, but sometimes an manual one works better.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Let’s sum up the comments so far:

”I haven’t read the articles that explain what’s nifty about this card.”

“But I already have a credit card!”

ߤ氟ﻦzwj;♂️
    What a useful post from someone with almost 8000 posts.  I can only imagine the usefulness of your other 7900+ posts.  Thank you for contributing something useful.
    If in doubt, just visit my profile - all those almost 8,000 posts are there, and with a nearly 2:1 like ratio, which is pretty high for that volume. Most of it debunking the whiners and haters. I see we have plenty of the former here.

As to the post you replied to, I’ll try again this time with more words:

- It’s clear many of the posters hadn’t taken the time to research or read about the AC’s benefits, including several articles written here on AI. 

- It’s also clear some particularly odd posters believe that because they already have credit cards with features they like, that they believe there is no value in this card for other people. This is dumb. 

...clearer?
    edited July 2019 macguilostkiwiwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 50 of 91
    macgui said:

This guy gets it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 91
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

First of all, the Fidelity 2% cashback card, Citi double cash card, and Paypal cashback card are all free cards that offer 2% cashback on ALL purchases. So yes, these all exceed the 2% offered by Apple on Apple Pay purchases only. Not to mention the various sign on bonuses, price protections, and extended warranty coverages these cards offer that Apple has yet to (if at all) announce for the Apple card. 

Seconf of all, regarding your "thousands of dollars" you spend each year directly from Apple, well, you're just a fool for spending full price when you can easily find the products (even new ones) for a discount much greater than the extra 1% you get with the Apple card. For example, Amazon is selling the new iPad Air for $469 while selling for $499 at the Apple Store. Many people have the Amazon Store card or Amazon Prime card, both giving 5% discount on ALL Amazon purchases. So in the Amazon example, 6% discount on base price plus 5% Amazon card discount is 11% total discount from purchasing from Amazon vs Apple Store. How does your 3% sound now?

You have fervently defended this Apple Card and decried anyone else with valid facts as to why the Apple card is not the best card as trolls which is clearly untrue.
    1) I love these 2% from Apple is less than 2% from anywhere else comments. There's even an argument to made that Apple's 2% is actually higher in terms of value for Apple Pay-based payments because you get paid out daily, unlike the Citi card you mentioned that won't even pay you the other half until after you've paid off your card. That means for the same purchases in a given money using Apple Pay the Apple Card will cost consumers fewer funds to be transferred from their account to pay off their balance. But I'm not even trying to get into that minutia—I'm only looking at 1:1 ratios of percentage points and wondering how you people  can say that you get better than 2% for Apple Pay transactions and then post 2% cards.

2) What's this? You shop at different places because they offer different benefits? You also use an Amazon card at Amazon because you can get 5% back which is better than using any of the 2% cards you mentioned in your first paragraph? Funny how that works, and yet you completely ignored how different card can have different benefits when it comes t the Apple Card. As for buying at Apple, I don't use an iPad but I do buy a new MBPs with a student/teacher discount every year, but I also buy plenty of other things from Apple that are not offered elsewhere which is why I currently have their Barclay's card for 3% back. It's good enough for such purchases but it comes as an Apple Store gift card when I'd rather pay down the balance, hence the Apple Card will be a better option when buying certain items directly from Apple.

3) You haven't have valid facts. You've literally stated that 2% from anyone that isn't Apple exceed 2% from Apple. if you people don't see a need for an Apple Card then simply don't get one, but to claim as fact that no one will benefit from it, or make claims about how you have the perfect number of credit cards as proof that no one can benefit from it is insnane. The fact is this card will bring attention to Apple Pay and help usher in even more awareness of a more secure method for using credit and debit card that even you'll benefit from regardless of how you feel about Apple or Morgan Stanley.
    1. Are you purposely being obtuse? The net effect of 2% on ALL purchases (Apple Pay AND NON Apple Pay purchases) with any of the 3 cards I listed is of greater value than the Apple card. No one is saying another card gives you better than 2% on Apple Pay purchases only. We are saying there are cards that offer 2% on literally every purchase you make. And, the difference that it makes whether you get your 2% today or in 30 days is negligible.

2. You prove my point. There are many cards for different categories, all of which are better than the Apple card. As an example, there are cards that offer 5% on Amazon, 5% on gas purchases, 6% on grocery stores, etc. 

3. Work on reading comprehension. 2% on EVERY purchase is net greater than 2% on only Apple Pay purchases. 
    For the final time, we're talking about Apple Pay payments, but you made it very clear that you believe that 2% from the Apple Card is less than 2% from other cards, ߤ榺wj;♂️ But that's fine. I understand why you felt a need to defend the "2% is better than 2%" stance.

If you can't understand how a card can have both pros and cons, that people don't just have or use a single card, or why Apple is coming out with a card to help push Apple Pay adoption then there's clearly nothing I can say that will make you comprehend what I thought were very simple motivations by Apple or why customers would want a card that pays 2% back for Apple Pay purchases. Clearly you are going to be upset when this card launches, but at least take solace in the fact that the Apple Card benefits all credit and debit card users wanting to use NFC-baed payments (which I know you can't understand right now, but I'm hopeful that one day you will).

I get much higher than 2% back across the board specifically because I know to juggle my cards and pay them off monthly, but if you want to ignore intrinsic benefits of various card types and minimize a daily refund over one that makes you wait until you've paid off your balance then you go right ahead.

Frankly, I don't know why you've come here to say how much this card sucks. Do you score the internet looked for forums of every card that doesn't suit your particular need to say how much they suck? God I sure hope not.
    Ok, so you just admitted that the Apple card has zero greater benefit for Apple Pay purchases versus any of the 3 cards I listed, all of which can be linked to Apple Pay. Again, no one has ever claimed that another credit card gives more cash back than the Apple card for Apple Pay purchases only. You are one who keeps shouting that.

You seem to be so insecure whenever someone provides opposing facts about your fantasies that this card will "disrupt the credit card industry". The reason why this matters is because the Apple card does not provide any significant higher value (e.g. cashback, price protection, extended warranty, etc) than other cards already do, and to downplay that is a disservice to those who are actually looking for the best option.

FYI, if you really want to get into it, there is a card that gives higher than 2% on Apple Pay purchases - the US Bank Altitude Reserve earns 3x points on all mobile payments, including Apple Pay. Further, redeeming these points for travel earns an additional 1.5x points, bringing the total value of 4.5% for all Apple Pay purchases.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 52 of 91
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

1) I love these 2% from Apple is less than 2% from anywhere else comments. There's even an argument to made that Apple's 2% is actually higher in terms of value for Apple Pay-based payments because you get paid out daily, unlike the Citi card you mentioned that won't even pay you the other half until after you've paid off your card. That means for the same purchases in a given money using Apple Pay the Apple Card will cost consumers fewer funds to be transferred from their account to pay off their balance. But I'm not even trying to get into that minutia—I'm only looking at 1:1 ratios of percentage points and wondering how you people  can say that you get better than 2% for Apple Pay transactions and then post 2% cards.

2) What's this? You shop at different places because they offer different benefits? You also use an Amazon card at Amazon because you can get 5% back which is better than using any of the 2% cards you mentioned in your first paragraph? Funny how that works, and yet you completely ignored how different card can have different benefits when it comes t the Apple Card. As for buying at Apple, I don't use an iPad but I do buy a new MBPs with a student/teacher discount every year, but I also buy plenty of other things from Apple that are not offered elsewhere which is why I currently have their Barclay's card for 3% back. It's good enough for such purchases but it comes as an Apple Store gift card when I'd rather pay down the balance, hence the Apple Card will be a better option when buying certain items directly from Apple.

3) You haven't have valid facts. You've literally stated that 2% from anyone that isn't Apple exceed 2% from Apple. if you people don't see a need for an Apple Card then simply don't get one, but to claim as fact that no one will benefit from it, or make claims about how you have the perfect number of credit cards as proof that no one can benefit from it is insnane. The fact is this card will bring attention to Apple Pay and help usher in even more awareness of a more secure method for using credit and debit card that even you'll benefit from regardless of how you feel about Apple or Morgan Stanley.
    1. Are you purposely being obtuse? The net effect of 2% on ALL purchases (Apple Pay AND NON Apple Pay purchases) with any of the 3 cards I listed is of greater value than the Apple card. No one is saying another card gives you better than 2% on Apple Pay purchases only. We are saying there are cards that offer 2% on literally every purchase you make. And, the difference that it makes whether you get your 2% today or in 30 days is negligible.

2. You prove my point. There are many cards for different categories, all of which are better than the Apple card. As an example, there are cards that offer 5% on Amazon, 5% on gas purchases, 6% on grocery stores, etc. 

3. Work on reading comprehension. 2% on EVERY purchase is net greater than 2% on only Apple Pay purchases. 
    For the final time, we're talking about Apple Pay payments, but you made it very clear that you believe that 2% from the Apple Card is less than 2% from other cards, ߤ榺wj;♂️ But that's fine. I understand why you felt a need to defend the "2% is better than 2%" stance.

If you can't understand how a card can have both pros and cons, that people don't just have or use a single card, or why Apple is coming out with a card to help push Apple Pay adoption then there's clearly nothing I can say that will make you comprehend what I thought were very simple motivations by Apple or why customers would want a card that pays 2% back for Apple Pay purchases. Clearly you are going to be upset when this card launches, but at least take solace in the fact that the Apple Card benefits all credit and debit card users wanting to use NFC-baed payments (which I know you can't understand right now, but I'm hopeful that one day you will).

I get much higher than 2% back across the board specifically because I know to juggle my cards and pay them off monthly, but if you want to ignore intrinsic benefits of various card types and minimize a daily refund over one that makes you wait until you've paid off your balance then you go right ahead.

Frankly, I don't know why you've come here to say how much this card sucks. Do you score the internet looked for forums of every card that doesn't suit your particular need to say how much they suck? God I sure hope not.
    Ok, so you just admitted that the Apple card has zero greater benefit for Apple Pay purchases versus any of the 3 cards I listed, all of which can be linked to Apple Pay. Again, no one has ever claimed that another credit card gives more cash back than the Apple card for Apple Pay purchases only. You are one who keeps shouting that.

You seem to be so insecure whenever someone provides opposing facts about your fantasies that this card will "disrupt the credit card industry". The reason why this matters is because the Apple card does not provide any significant higher value (e.g. cashback, price protection, extended warranty, etc) than other cards already do, and to downplay that is a disservice to those who are actually looking for the best option.

FYI, if you really want to get into it, there is a card that gives higher than 2% on Apple Pay purchases - the US Bank Altitude Reserve earns 3x points on all mobile payments, including Apple Pay. Further, redeeming these points for travel earns an additional 1.5x points, bringing the total value of 4.5% for all Apple Pay purchases.
    1) Did Soli actually claim that? Where?

2) Get it thru your head: there is no "best option" when it comes to a single card. It's all relative based on what benefits are valuable to you.

3) I've banked with US Bank for two decades, I've had a number of their cards, and I will say that absolutely, redeeming points on travel with their cards has always been a scam. Whether it's special portals, or special dates, or the value of the points, or needing to buy more points to travel as I would normally. It's never paid off, and I don't use them for that anymore. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 91
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

2) Get it thru your head: there is no "best option" when it comes to a single card. It's all relative based on what benefits are valuable to you.

3) I've banked with US Bank for two decades, I've had a number of their cards, and I will say that absolutely, redeeming points on travel with their cards has always been a scam. Whether it's special portals, or special dates, or the value of the points, or needing to buy more points to travel as I would normally. It's never paid off, and I don't use them for that anymore. 
    1. I don't know, does he not think that?

2. Like I said in my previous post, I have 15 cards, i.e., I clearly understand that there is no "objective" best option. Some people value points, some value cashback, some value low interest, etc. However, the scope of these Apple card discussion is nearly limited to just cashback because the Apple card does not offer the flexible benefits of other cards (e.g., the Chase Reserve gives you the option to redeem cash cash back or points). So the "best option" is referring to purely the benefit of cashback of the Apple card vs others.

3. As have I. And no, it's nowhere near a scam.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

I'm not sure what's the weirdest part about this conversation. Me "admitting" to my initial statement that caused him to get upset and post, claiming it's a fantasy that the Apple Card will help bring awareness to *Pay purchases for all which will help lead to increased security, or him using a card with a indefinite point system and a $400 annual fee as a proof that the Apple Card is inferior.

Now, many cards that offer points that will do a 1:1 for cash back, but many others don't even offer cash back, and I've seen that go away as an option because they only guarantee points. Even if they do it's not an absolute value to cash back so we can't ever rely on an issuer's points system. I think Hilton gives you 12x back for their hotels, but as you mentioned you often screwed when you try to redeem them thereby making them in the range of inconvenient to worthless.

Let's look at this $400 fee for the US Bank Altitude Reserve card. You'd have to spend more than $13,333 just to make your money back on that card for 3% back (assuming that they let those 3x points count toward 3% in cash back or account credit). That's not too bad but we still haven't factored for what you get from cards with no annual fee. When you do that you need to spend $40,000 just to break even with owning the card. Chances are the average consumer can find a much better paid card to suit their needs. 
    edited July 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

2. Like I said in my previous post, I have 15 cards, i.e., I clearly understand that there is no "objective" best option. Some people value points, some value cashback, some value low interest, etc. However, the scope of these Apple card discussion is nearly limited to just cashback because the Apple card does not offer the flexible benefits of other cards (e.g., the Chase Reserve gives you the option to redeem cash cash back or points). So the "best option" is referring to purely the benefit of cashback of the Apple card vs others.

1. Oh I see, you’re just making shit up and going after it as if he had said it. In grownup land we call that a “straw man” fallacy. Thwack thwack! Take that, vile straw man! 

3. Great. Then you understand that special travel portals, blackout dates, dynamic point values, insufficient points requiring additional purchase, and left-over points have all been issues with US Bank travel rewards cards over the past twenty years. Cash is king. 
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 56 of 91
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

1. Oh I see, you’re just making shit up and going after it as if he had said it. In grownup land we call that a “straw man” fallacy. Thwack thwack! Take that, vile straw man! 

3. Great. Then you understand that special travel portals, blackout dates, dynamic point values, insufficient points requiring additional purchase, and left-over points have all been issues with US Bank travel rewards cards over the past twenty years. Cash is king. 
    1. I'll let him answer for himself, not you. Again, does he not think that? I've seen that exact phrase from many on this forum on nearly every Apple card post.

2. Cash is not king. Any adept user of the offerings many credit card companies offer via their cards easily makes hundreds or thousands of dollars per year via rewards/cashback using various credit card strategies. 2 years ago I traveled business class to 5 counties in Asia for 150k Chase UR points. Paying in cash for this trip? $11,000.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 57 of 91
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    It is a cool looking Credit Card, but is that really a good enough reason to get one? I'm sure for many it is, but the Benefits are just average. My Amazon Card I get 3% and during their Prime Sale earlier this week it doubled to 6% cash back!!! Yep!!! The Amazon card is a Chase Card, and so you can use their app. I went to their Web site on my desktop at the time and just set it up to auto pay it off every month. It's just a better, more useful card as the Cashback is better than Apple. It's cash back to buy more stuff from Amazon. A place I do a lot of shopping at anyway. I don't have that card on me to lose, it's locked up at home. I have 2-Factor turned on for Amazon, though they are the worst when it comes to that as it will not ever remember me and so I always have to enter the 6 digit code.

Most of the rest of the time I can use Apple Pay. That list keeps growing for me and so I don't have to hand over my card. I wish more places did Apple Pay online. Fandango is once place I use it online on the app on my iPhone. I can pay with Apple Pay. If I can't do that, I try to use PayPal for any other online type shopping. Especially and some new place. But it's Apple Pay or PayPal if at all possible as so many company's have gotten or will get hacked in the future, then your credit card number is out there.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

I'm not sure what's the weirdest part about this conversation. Me "admitting" to my initial statement that caused him to get upset and post, claiming it's a fantasy that the Apple Card will help bring awareness to *Pay purchases for all which will help lead to increased security, or him using a card with a indefinite point system and a $400 annual fee as a proof that the Apple Card is inferior.

Now, many cards that offer points that will do a 1:1 for cash back, but many others don't even offer cash back, and I've seen that go away as an option because they only guarantee points. Even if they do it's not an absolute value to cash back so we can't ever rely on an issuer's points system. I think Hilton gives you 12x back for their hotels, but as you mentioned you often screwed when you try to redeem them thereby making them in the range of inconvenient to worthless.

Let's look at this $400 fee for the US Bank Altitude Reserve card. You'd have to spend more than $13,333 just to make your money back on that card for 3% back (assuming that they let those 3x points count toward 3% in cash back or account credit). That's not too bad but we still haven't factored for what you get from cards with no annual fee. When you do that you need to spend $40,000 just to break even with owning the card. Chances are the average consumer can find a much better paid card to suit their needs. 
    Wrong. The card provides $325 in travel credit per year. So the annual fee effectively drops to $75. Assuming 3% back, the break-even point is $7500. Assuming 4.5%, the break-even point is $3000. This is easily attainable for the general population the US Bank card is targeting.

This also doesn't factor in the 50,000 sign up bonus (cash value ~$750) nor the free Priority Pass membership given by the card.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 59 of 91
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    sirozha said:
    @Soli ;

%2 is more if it isn't Apple.

It's insane how people hypocritically bash Apple and get away with it. Apple always held to a higher standard.

Keep your unsafe, data collecting cards buddy and we'll keep our titanium ones.
    Amazon visa is a titanium card. it also has no foreign transaction fees.  
    Too bad it's from one of the biggest data collecting companies in the world.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 60 of 91
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

No our reading comprehension is fine. It's just funny watching the doomers moving the goalposts everywhere.

Look I can do it too:
    Only Apple Card offers 3% cash back on Apple products!!!!!!!
    Only AppleCard integrates with iPhone and gives us the cool app!!
    Only AppleCard shows me real business names amd locations instead of cryptic names from unknown locations!!!

Truth is, many people trust ApplePay and prefer it to anything else. Apple Card also offers 1% on everything else which isn't too shabby considering you also get the cool app and security.
    watto_cobra