Apple files for Apple Card & Apple Pay Cash trademarks in Canada

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is looking at bringing the Apple Card and Apple Pay Cash to Canada, expanding beyond the U.S., according to recent trademark filings.

Apple Card


Both applications were submitted to the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) on July 15, according to The Star. The CIPO later registered the Cash trademark on July 17.

It could still take some time for both products to launch in Canada, as it can take up to 10 months for trademark applications to be approved, The Star noted. Apple may also need a Canadian financial partner, though the American card is being handled by Goldman Sachs, which does have offices in Calgary and Toronto.

Apple has yet to launch the Apple Card in the U.S. Its arrival could be imminent though, as the company said it was aiming for a summer release, and the card has been in beta testing for at least two months.

It's expected to go live alongside iOS 12.4, also in beta. Since that code has already undergone several seeds, the finished update could arrive in a matter of days, or weeks at the latest.



Comments

  • Reply 1 of 18
    jdwjdw Posts: 774member
    If Canada with its 10-month approval wait is considered "expanding beyond the US," the rest of the world has a LONG way to go!
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 269member
    jdw said:
    If Canada with its 10-month approval wait is considered "expanding beyond the US," the rest of the world has a LONG way to go!
    Or in "the rest of the world" it doesn't take so long to approve a trademark...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,178member
    JanNL said:
    jdw said:
    If Canada with its 10-month approval wait is considered "expanding beyond the US," the rest of the world has a LONG way to go!
    Or in "the rest of the world" it doesn't take so long to approve a trademark…
    That's what I was thinking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Oooh, a credit card, this is an insanely great Apple innovation!  Canadians must be going crazy waiting for it!  /sarcasmoff
  • Reply 5 of 18
    crudmancrudman Posts: 56member
    whittonm said:
    Oooh, a credit card, this is an insanely great Apple innovation!  Canadians must be going crazy waiting for it!  /sarcasmoff
    Sarcasm appreciated, but if the features for the Canadian variant are the same as the US card it -is- going to be innovative. There are currently no Canadian issued cards that waive the foreign exchange fee (2.5%) for example. 
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,178member
    crudman said:
    whittonm said:
    Oooh, a credit card, this is an insanely great Apple innovation!  Canadians must be going crazy waiting for it!  /sarcasmoff
    Sarcasm appreciated, but if the features for the Canadian variant are the same as the US card it -is- going to be innovative. There are currently no Canadian issued cards that waive the foreign exchange fee (2.5%) for example. 
    If no Canadian CCs do that—not even travel-focused cards with an annual fee—then I think it's highly unlikely that Apple will be able to swing that.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 216member
    No annual fee, no 2.5% foreign exchange fee, 2% on all Apple Pay purchases. Cant wait.  My current cash back Visa Momentum card has been very good but annual fees are going up in the fall and they are re-shuffling the cashback on gas purchases from 4% down to 2% amongst a few other changes for the worse. I will be all in on the Apple Card. 
    applericAppleExposedlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 216member
    Soli said:
    crudman said:
    whittonm said:
    Oooh, a credit card, this is an insanely great Apple innovation!  Canadians must be going crazy waiting for it!  /sarcasmoff
    Sarcasm appreciated, but if the features for the Canadian variant are the same as the US card it -is- going to be innovative. There are currently no Canadian issued cards that waive the foreign exchange fee (2.5%) for example. 
    If no Canadian CCs do that—not even travel-focused cards with an annual fee—then I think it's highly unlikely that Apple will be able to swing that.
    This is my biggest pet peeve with my CC’s. The FX fee is such a rip off. If they can even reduce the fee to something more reasonable It is a win. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    crudmancrudman Posts: 56member
    clarker99 said:
    Soli said:
    crudman said:
    whittonm said:
    Oooh, a credit card, this is an insanely great Apple innovation!  Canadians must be going crazy waiting for it!  /sarcasmoff
    Sarcasm appreciated, but if the features for the Canadian variant are the same as the US card it -is- going to be innovative. There are currently no Canadian issued cards that waive the foreign exchange fee (2.5%) for example. 
    If no Canadian CCs do that—not even travel-focused cards with an annual fee—then I think it's highly unlikely that Apple will be able to swing that.
    This is my biggest pet peeve with my CC’s. The FX fee is such a rip off. If they can even reduce the fee to something more reasonable It is a win. 
    I have one that -used- to be great - the Rogers MasterCard. It didn’t charge the foreign FX fee -and- gave 4% cash back on all foreign currency transactions. So it was a net 6.5% gain (I travel a bunch for work and use this card exclusively). Then they added the FX fee in so it went from 6.5% to 1.5%. 
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    DangDaveDangDave Posts: 25member
    Cardholders in Canada will not get the same cashback rewards as we do in the U.S. as the cc swipe fees charged to retailers are capped in Canada. This will also be the case in Europe, Australia, and other locations with caps. 

    Also, U.S. cardholders usually do not get the same rewards that we get here when charging outside of the U.S. 
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Baby steps...I’ll be happy when we get Apple Watch ECG ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 215member
    jdw said:
    If Canada with its 10-month approval wait is considered "expanding beyond the US," the rest of the world has a LONG way to go!
    Hmmm. Look at how “quickly” they got the Apple Watch ECG feature in Canada...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,178member
    toysandme said:
    jdw said:
    If Canada with its 10-month approval wait is considered "expanding beyond the US," the rest of the world has a LONG way to go!
    Hmmm. Look at how “quickly” they got the Apple Watch ECG feature in Canada…
    I"m pretty sure that getting a CC up and getting a medical device certified in Canada go through very different gov't bodies and subsequent hoops.
    applesnorangeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 216member
    DangDave said:
    Cardholders in Canada will not get the same cashback rewards as we do in the U.S. as the cc swipe fees charged to retailers are capped in Canada. This will also be the case in Europe, Australia, and other locations with caps. 

    Also, U.S. cardholders usually do not get the same rewards that we get here when charging outside of the U.S. 
    So, the best cashback cards get upwards of 4% at grocery stores and 1-2% on any other purchases. Your average cashback is prob in the 1.5% range on the best cards and All charge a large annual fee. For example, a $129 annual fee means you have to spend $8600 to break even.

    If Apple charges no annual fee and offers 1-2% on all transactions, Apple card wins for most people as they will likely not spend enough to make up the difference on a traditional CC. If they at all undercut on the standard 2.5% FX fee then it is an even bigger win for people who travel.  This is also not even taking into account the privacy aspect Apple brings to the table.
    StrangeDaysapplesnorangeslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 8,244member
    whittonm said:
    Oooh, a credit card, this is an insanely great Apple innovation!  Canadians must be going crazy waiting for it!  /sarcasmoff
    You make it sound like Apple isn't leading innovation in multiple other product categories. 

    Do you get equally upset at Target or Disney for having credit cards?
    edited July 20 AppleExposedlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,376unconfirmed, member
    whittonm said:
    Oooh, a credit card, this is an insanely great Apple innovation!  Canadians must be going crazy waiting for it!  /sarcasmoff
    You make it sound like Apple is leading innovation in multiple other product categories. 

    Do you get equally upset at Target or Disney for having credit cards?
    No he doesn't because Apple is held to different standards.

    This is a VERY revolutionary game-changing innovation from Apple but if it isn't an iPhone-level revolution, Apple has "failed".
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    technotechno Posts: 704member
    Soli said:
    toysandme said:
    jdw said:
    If Canada with its 10-month approval wait is considered "expanding beyond the US," the rest of the world has a LONG way to go!
    Hmmm. Look at how “quickly” they got the Apple Watch ECG feature in Canada…
    I"m pretty sure that getting a CC up and getting a medical device certified in Canada go through very different gov't bodies and subsequent hoops.
    Health Canada has already approved the ECG feature for the watch. It is Apple waiting. 
  • Reply 18 of 18
    If the approval process for the ECG feature of the Apple Watch is any indication, the Canadian government will take that entire 10 months, and more, to approve it, the casually announce, "well, the application has been approved, so you should contact Apple about any delay," as if it were Apple's fault it took so long...

    StrangeDaysSoliwatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.