Review: The 2019 MacBook Air carries the legacy of the line very well

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2021
Apple has updated the MacBook Air alongside the MacBook Pro. We've spent the past couple weeks with the newly revamped Air to see how it performs as Apple's new entry-level portable Mac.

The 2019 MacBook Air is still light as ever
The 2019 MacBook Air is still light as ever

We're looking at the base mid-2019 MacBook Air with a 1.6GHz dual-core processor, 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, as we wanted to see what the most cost-efficient machine was capable of.

Continuing legacy

The MacBook Air is machine with a history. Gasps reverberated from the audience as Steve Jobs famously removed the original Air from a manila envelope on stage during his keynote. While the original Air was underpowered and expensive, the second generation a few years later cemented its legacy.

For many, it became the go-to option with a combination of an incredibly thin design and enough power for everyday tasks.

As the years went on, the design remained fairly stagnant, eventually falling behind the curve with a non-Retina display, thick bezels, and no USB-C. That changed in October 2018 when Apple announced an entirely new and revamped MacBook Air.

MacBook Air has dual Thunderbolt 3 ports
MacBook Air has dual Thunderbolt 3 ports

The new machine finally adopted Apple's Retina display, dual Thunderbolt 3 ports, a tweaked design, and even Touch ID.

Less than a year has passed since Apple brought the MacBook Air back into the collective consciousness, and only minor changes are present this time around.

Minor, necessary changes

This time around, Apple has modified the Retina display. It retains the same size, resolution, and so forth, but now has True Tone.

For the uninitiated, True Tone is Apple's display tech that automatically adjusts the temperature of the display based on the room. A sensor monitors the ambient light in a room and matches the display's white balance to match. When the display matches the room's light, it is less harsh on the eyes and more comfortable and natural to view.

The display was already excellent, so this added feature is just icing on the cake.

Another upgrade Apple has made to this machine is the keyboard -- a whole can of worms in and of itself.

The keyboard conundrum

The 2019 MacBook Air is equipped with the latest generation butterfly keyboard. The so-called "3.5" generation of the keyboard improves on much of what was controversial about previous iterations. It has the same shallow key travel, but is softer and quieter than before.

The 2019 MacBook Air has an updated keyboard
The 2019 MacBook Air has an updated keyboard

Apple's machines are renowned for their longevity and lifespan, whether it is the original user utilizing it for many years or another using it after it is sold after a few years of solid years of use -- for a good chunk of the original price.

With a keyboard of questionable durability, it becomes a big question when looking to pick up a new Mac. As soon as we went hands-on we were inundated with comments, all saying something along the lines of "I won't buy it if it has the butterfly keyboard!"

And, that's not even addressing the usability of the keyboard. In the four years we've been covering machines with it, it seems like nearly half like typing on it, half don't, and almost nobody in between that just tolerates it.

After only a couple weeks with the machine, we can't speak to the long-term reliability of this keyboard. We do know Apple has made changes, of which some of the effects we mentioned above. Unfortunately, it's too early to tell if they've made a difference.

From day one, 2019 the MacBook Air keyboard is included in Apple's extended repair program, which means if someone picks up this machine now, the keyboard will come with a de facto four-year warranty.

But, is all this enough to appease the worries of would-be buyers? The verdict is still out, and will be for some time.

Still a solid foundation

Everything else here remains the same. There are two 40 gigabit per second Thunderbolt 3 Type-C ports located on the left side of the machine and a 3.5mm headphone jack on the right. Like the 2018 model, the 2019 MacBook Air is powered over USB-C rather than MagSafe, another change from previous models that has induced some debate.

Embrace USB-C. It is literally a standard, and it isn't Apple-proprietary. Using it is nowhere near a struggle like it was as it was just a few years ago.

Lightning to USB-C cables are prevalent, USB-C hubs for those that need them have become rampant among accessory makers, and many new products are now natively shipping with Type-C cables and connectors.

You don't need a million adapters to get the job done. Use USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort cables for about the same price as a non-USB-C cable, or use a USB-C to USB-B cable for that enclosure.

2019 MacBook Air Geekbench scores
2019 MacBook Air Geekbench scores

Performance is near identical with the last generation due to the inclusion of the same Y-generation Intel processor. Our Geekbench 4 tests yielded 4310 and 7871 on the multi-core and single-core tests.

On last year's 1.6GHz machine, we averaged 4362 and 7858 on its test which are in line with what we have now.

Cinebench R20 -- an updated version of the R15 we ran last year -- gave us a score of 643.

Neither of these numbers are particularly impressive, nor are they woefully small. In truth, the processor does struggle in under heavy loads.

But, most people aren't really pushing their machines in daily tasks. Emails, watching video, editing photos, browsing in Safari, etc all work just fine without any hangups.

Jumping into Final Cut or other more intensive applications shows the shortcomings of the machine, but just won't be a common enough of a use case for the target user of this machine for concern. Anyone who dabbles in those even a little bit would likely be turning their eyes towards the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with two Thunderbolt 3 ports, or higher.

One area we saw go down was the performance of the SSD. It is now slightly slower than last year, but just as with the processor limitations, most daily users won't pay it much attention.

Shoes to fill

The 2019 MacBook Air has some big shoes to fill. Not just that of its predecessor, but of the 12-inch Retina MacBook that Apple discontinued.

Those who want Apple's most portable machine now have this Air as their option. MacBook Air is an exceptional machine but we still miss the size of the 12-inch MacBook and it is hard to turn to this instead.

MacBook Air logo below the display
MacBook Air logo below the display

Especially when the MacBook Pro 13-inch isn't all that much more expensive and offers better performance.

Apple did slash the price of the MacBook Air to $1099 which gets you a 1.6GHz dual-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor that can Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz as well as 128GB of storage and 8GB of LPDDR3 RAM with Intel UHD Graphics 617. Students get even better pricing, down to $999.

The combination of the svelte design, lower price, and slightly improved specs will likely make this the preferred option for many, many users - especially with the lack of the 12-inch alternative.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Where to buy

Apple's new MacBook Air is currently eligible for exclusive coupon discounts at Adorama with coupon code APINSIDER. Select CTO models are over $100 off, with no interest financing when paid in full within 12 months with the Adorama Credit Card.

For the best deals and current availability on all 2019 MacBook Airs, be sure to visit our MacBook Air Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    McJobsMcJobs Posts: 29member
    The legacy of Timmy.

seanismorris
    MBA.png 39.3K
  • Reply 2 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    For flexibility, it's time to add one more USB port on right side.
    pentaewaverboy
  • Reply 3 of 19
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    https://images.app.goo.gl/FJBXdYUWmXweiWCw6

Price of SSD

Not sure why it won’t insert directly...
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 4 of 19
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    My only problem for it was the “Air” slogan, which used to stands for wireless and portable, but nowadays anything that called the “Air” are mid-tier or entry-level products.  I feels like it would be better just swapped the name with the 12” MacBook, but unfortunately, the latter got discontinued.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I’ll never understand why people don’t auto hide the Dock, especially on these smaller screens. It’s suchna waste of space. 
    chiaStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 19
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    I’ll never understand why people don’t auto hide the Dock, especially on these smaller screens. It’s suchna waste of space. 
    Tucking it to the left may be better than auto hiding.
    dewme
  • Reply 7 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    One area we saw go down was the performance of the SSD. It is now slightly slower than last year, but just as with the processor limitations, most daily users won't pay it much attention.

Still faster SSD than most comparable WinTel machines though. That should be acknowledged. 
    I still think it should be sub $1000 and have min 256GB though to really nail comparisons. Once those two complaints are addressed of course we can move on to RAM size ߘ᦬t;br>

Edit: I will add that I am torn between the new MBA and new MBP for Christmas for my daughters who currently have 2015 MBAs.  If only one of them had a USB-A port it would be a no brainer. I know USB-C is the future, but in the real world their friends, teachers and even TVs all have USB-A memory sticks.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    entropys said:

Still faster SSD than most comparable WinTel machines though. That should be acknowledged. 
    I still think it should be sub $1000 and have min 256GB though to really nail comparisons. Once those two complaints are addressed of course we can move on to RAM size ߘ᦬t;br>

Edit: I will add that I am torn between the new MBA and new MBP for Christmas for my daughters who currently have 2015 MBAs.  If only one of them had a USB-A port it would be a no brainer. I know USB-C is the future, but in the real world their friends, teachers and even TVs all have USB-A memory sticks.
    New MBA 256. And please add USB-A adapter as a bonus. Friends no longer exchange usb memory sticks, that was 10 yrs ago. They exchange WhatsApp, Air Drop, iMessage, Dropbox sharing, mail etc..
    edited July 2019 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Tucking it to the left may be better than auto hiding.
    Not for me, I don't even use the Dock with any regularity. I launch all my apps with Spotlight, which is much faster. I only use the Dock occasionally to unearth minimized windows and ... hmm, not much else these days. 
  • Reply 10 of 19

entropys said:
    Kids and teachers(??) are passing around flash drives still? What year is this again? 

...TVs?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

entropys said:
    Kids and teachers(??) are passing around flash drives still? What year is this again? 

...TVs?
    USB-A ports are actually very common on TVs these days. Have you really never seen them there before?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Japhey said:

entropys said:

...TVs?
    USB-A ports are actually very common on TVs these days. Have you really never seen them there before?
    I think my 2007 plasma has one, which is for firmware updates as far as I know. What purpose do they serve in newer sets, and why does this apply to MacBook Pros in any way?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Japhey said:

entropys said:

...TVs?
    I think my 2007 plasma has one, which is for firmware updates as far as I know. What purpose do they serve in newer sets, and why does this apply to MacBook Pros in any way?
    Even high end tvs have them. None have USB-C. They exist to facilitate pirated films, or to show grandma the kids’ dance routine. 
    Anyway, it is very discomforting for a kid to not have the ability to read a memory stick they receive from a co student.  Even if they happen to have actually remembered to a carry an dongle adapter with them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    pentaepentae Posts: 36member
    It's a great machine, but it doesn't make sense that its so similar in size and weight to the Macbook Pro 13 base model.

It should be a bit smaller and thinner like the Macbook 12" Retina and have a USB-A on one side, USB-C on the other. Or at least a single USB-C on each side.. because Apple.

And before you all get your panties in a knot about USB-A being legacy, I ask you this: The USB-C only design was introduced just under 5 years ago today and 90% of accessories sold still use the USB-A port. How many more years before everythings USB-C? Today 5 years later in SE Asia USB-C is basically non existent. Dropping USB-A and requiring a dongle was pure elitist arrogance. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 15 of 19
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    wood1208 said:
    For flexibility, it's time to add one more USB port on right side.
    And a MagSafe power port.  My mid-2012 MacBook Air has two USB3 ports, a Thunderbolt DisplayPort, and a dedicated MagSafe power port.  The new MacBook Air has two measly ports.  Fail.
    crowley
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I’m going to full screen all the time.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I’d like some advice from the MacBook Air Users. I was at a local store where they offered me a MacBook Air 2018 for $100 less than the MacBook Air 2019. Is this a good deal or should I pay the extra $100 for the newest model? When I read the report above it seems the biggest difference is the true tone display and maybe the keyboard?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    danielbv said:
    I’d like some advice from the MacBook Air Users. I was at a local store where they offered me a MacBook Air 2018 for $100 less than the MacBook Air 2019. Is this a good deal or should I pay the extra $100 for the newest model? When I read the report above it seems the biggest difference is the true tone display and maybe the keyboard?
    Faster, too. Keyboard is the newest design so likely most reliable. $100 is not a big discount, you should be seeing some much bigger sales on last year's models at various retailers, usually covered here at AI. I wouldn't consider an older model of anything unless it was a significant discount.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    danielbv said:
    That and the SSD, 2019 is generally slower on the read speed, but little faster on the write.  I think Apple changed it to be more reliable or want a little faster write speed.  If you want the largest storage then you can only get 2018 (1.5TB).
    edited August 2019