Samsung's Galaxy Tab S6 updated with new S Pen and dual camera

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2019
Samsung has launched the Galaxy Tab S6, a new tablet with a 10.5-inch Super AMOLED display, a dual camera setup, an on-screen fingerprint scanner, and an upgraded S Pen stylus with new features as well as a rear groove for storage.

Revealed a week ahead of an expected launch of the Galaxy Note 10 phablet, the Galaxy Tab S6 is billed as a tablet for creative professionals. The initial launch of the device includes a video focusing on Coco Capitan, an artist collaborating with Hypebeast on projects using the tablet.

The new model features a large 10.5-inch WQXGA (2560x1600) display that is the same size as the one used in Apple's iPad Air, but offering a higher resolution. Weighing in at 420 grams (14.8 ounces) and measuring 5.7 millimeters thick, the tablet is powered by a 7-nanometer 64-bit octa-core processor, namely the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855, using 2.8GHz, 2.4Ghz, and 1.7GHz cores depending on workload and power requirements.

While the Snapdragon 855 is the best processor for Android devices under benchmarks like Geekbench, scoring in the region of 3,200 to 3,400 for single-core and 10,400 to 10,800 for multi-core tests, it still lags behind Apple's top A-series chips. The A12 Bionic, used in the iPad Air, achieves approximately 4,800 points on single-core tests and 11,200 on multi-core, while the A12X used in the iPad Pro sits at around 5,000 on single-core and 17,900 on multi-core tests.

Two capacities are offered, with a 128-gigabyte model having 6 gigabytes of memory while the 256-gigabyte capacity model is equipped with 8 gigabytes of RAM, though both offer up to 1 terabyte of expandable capacity via microSD. Connectivity options include dual-band i-Fi with MIMO, Wi-Fi Direct, and Bluetooth 5.0 support, while the battery is a 7.040mAh unit.

While the front has a conventional 8-megapixel camera, the back sports two sensors, consisting of a 13-megapixel shooter alongside a 5-megapixel Ultra Wide camera with a 123-degree field of view. The onboard Neural Processing Unit is said to be useful for adding effects to images, with the tablet also capable of recording 4K video at 30fps and playing back 8K video, again at 30fps.

A key change for this version is an enhanced S Pen, which includes Bluetooth LE remote control features including S Pen Air actions, a system of gestures that can be made with the S Pen that commands the tablet without being in contact with it. The S Pen also boasts a ten-hour battery life after being charged for just ten minutes, and is magnetically stored in a small groove on the back of the device.

Samsung also added the on-screen Fingerprint Scanner to the Galaxy Tab S6, though users can also employ face recognition using the front-facing camera.

Shipping in Mountain Gray, Cloud Blue, and Rose Blush colors, the Galaxy Tab S6 will be available in "select markets" from late August. Pricing starts from $649 for the 128GB configuration, rising to $729 for the 256GB version.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Can’t wait to try out all of the tablet optimized apps that Android has to choose from on this new device from Samsung....
    /s
    racerhomie3StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    How do you even do creative work on this thing without Affinity Suite and Procreate?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    gutengel said:
    How do you even do creative work on this thing without Affinity Suite and Procreate?
    I’m just guessing but I think with S-ffinity and S CreatePro. 
    MacThaLifeBxBornpscooter63gutengelAppleExposeddoozydozenCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    Seems like a decent tablet. I still have a Note 12.2 that's going strong (at least as strong as it can this far from it's release).
    Carnage
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I'm very curious as to who the hell is buying Galaxy Notes and what they use them for. Never seen one in the wild. I would personally enjoy Apple Pencil support on an iPhone, but I don't complain because it's unbelievably niche… but the Note line has been going for years now, someone is buying these.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I got the S4 on sale as I wanted an OLED screen for movie watching while traveling. Thought I could maybe use Lightroom and some other apps too. I don't. Lightroom is absurdly slow on it, as is everything else compared to my iPad. That 855 chip better be an insane improvement for this thing to be anywhere near as good as an iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    I got the S4 on sale as I wanted an OLED screen for movie watching while traveling. Thought I could maybe use Lightroom and some other apps too. I don't. Lightroom is absurdly slow on it, as is everything else compared to my iPad. That 855 chip better be an insane improvement for this thing to be anywhere near as good as an iPad.
    It's not going to be as good as iPad with regards to ecosystem...it just isn't. It will be great for content consumption along with massive storage capabilities. The OLED screen is beautiful and is excellent for watching videos and viewing pictures. The sound is also excellent. Which, until now, was only available on Apple products. I have an S5e. Although it's slower than the S6, I like it a lot. That said, with iPadOS finally getting a file system and other enhancements, I may be using my iPad Pro more. Still, the Samsung S6 will be the best Android tablet yet. Hopefully, they resolved the WiFi issue. Max Tech on YouTube has a good review on the S5e comparing it to the iPad.
    Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The S Pen also boasts a ten-hour battery life after being charged for just ten minutes, and is magnetically stored in a small grove on the back of the device. 

That can’t be right. If it is, all I can say is: Hold. me. Back.

/S
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I'm very curious as to who the hell is buying Galaxy Notes and what they use them for. Never seen one in the wild. I would personally enjoy Apple Pencil support on an iPhone, but I don't complain because it's unbelievably niche… but the Note line has been going for years now, someone is buying these.
    In my experience, Apple haters who buy the Note or Tabs at heavily discounted sales. Then they only use them occasionally for pirated movies and complain that generally tablets aren’t worth it.
    edited July 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I have bought the note 8 and 9. Both are brilliant phones, I found I didn’t use the pen as much as expected (the note 8 was for my wife) that I changed to a galaxy a50. 

Notes are brilliant phones...if people would use the stylus and it is well integrated feature wise. I didn’t so likely wouldn’t buy another, my wife loves them though. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    wlee2019 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I have bought the note 8 and 9. Both are brilliant phones, I found I didn’t use the pen as much as expected (the note 8 was for my wife) that I changed to a galaxy a50. 

Notes are brilliant phones...if people would use the stylus and it is well integrated feature wise. I didn’t so likely wouldn’t buy another, my wife loves them though. 
    Get real iPhones, they're better and don't data mine you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I DID! Instead of another iPhone last year that I thought was ridiculously over priced I purchased a Note9, and I love it, it blows the iPhone away with features. A very nice piece of equipment, the screen, processor, and Storage!! Just pop in an inexpensive micro sd and tons more storage! Without paying a rediculous price for a phone with more storage... Yes I still use my iPad Pro, my iMac, and like them, but just thought the note was a nicer phone... Would I buy another Note? Yes....
    Carnagebigtds
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    waltg said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I DID! Instead of another iPhone last year that I thought was ridiculously over priced I purchased a Note9, and I love it, it blows the iPhone away with features. A very nice piece of equipment, the screen, processor, and Storage!! Just pop in an inexpensive micro sd and tons more storage! Without paying a rediculous price for a phone with more storage... Yes I still use my iPad Pro, my iMac, and like them, but just thought the note was a nicer phone... Would I buy another Note? Yes....
    But apparently without a spelling checker. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    It's been a while since the iMac Pros came out with FaceID. How much more time does Samsung need to copy it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    entropys said:
    The S Pen also boasts a ten-hour battery life after being charged for just ten minutes, and is magnetically stored in a small grove on the back of the device. 

That can’t be right. If it is, all I can say is: Hold. me. Back.

/S
    Yeah, one look at the image of how the S Pen is stored has me running for the hills. Really, who thought it was a good idea to store the S Pen there? It sticks out on the back. In what scenario does a person use the tablet with the stylus in that location?
    watto_cobra