Philips WiZ Connected Wi-Fi smart bulbs support Siri Shortcuts

Posted:
in General Discussion
Philips has launched a new set of smart light bulbs under Signify's WiZ Connected ecosystem, one that works differently from the manufacturer's existing Hue range in that they connect directly with Wi-Fi, eliminating the need for an intermediary hub.

The collection of Philips Smart Wi-Fi LED WiZ Connected bulbs all operate through a Wi-Fi network connection and work through a free WiZ companion app for iOS. Once set up, the bulbs can be remotely controlled through the app on an iPhone or iPad, or even through an Android device.

As well as the app, there is also the ability to use virtual assistants to control the lighting, with support for Siri Shortcuts offered alongside Google Assistant and Alexa. At this time, the bulbs do not include support for HomeKit, meaning it can't be used as part of Apple's smart home framework directly.

In use, the bulbs can be set to wirelessly dim, as well as to use a preset light scene for ambience. Light schedules and timers are also able to be set up, as well as tuning the shade of white light from warm to cool white.

The system may be an attractive one for homeowners keen to start using smart bulbs in their home, as they do not require extra hubs or equipment, as is required for Bluetooth or Zigbee-based smart lighting systems like Philips Hue. The WiZ bulbs plug directly into a light socket and are then configured to use the available Wi-Fi network.

Five bulb types are offered in the initial connection, starting with the Dimmable Warm White (2700K) and Cool White (5000K bulbs in traditional A19 and BR30 downlight shapes. Tunable White (2700-5000K and Full Color with Tunable White versions are offered in A19, BR30, and 6-inch integrated downlight configurations.

Lastly, the Dimmable Clear Filament and Dimmable Amber Filament versions are available in A19, G25 globe, and ST19 teardrop shapes.

The Philips Smart Wi-FI LED WiZ Connected Bulbs are available now exclusively from Home Depot online, with the range priced between $9.97 and $19.97. Availability is expected in retail stores in the United States starting from September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Is Homekit that hard that companies can't do it right off the bat?  Or does it make them so much more expensive that they then become less attractive?
    darrylk1
  • Reply 2 of 7
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    ...but can they do disco?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    AppleInsider said:

Once set up, the bulbs can be remotely controlled through the app on an iPhone or iPad, or even through an Android device. 

Even through an Android device??

Now that’s just crazy talk!

• Reply 4 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    No HomeKit? no thanks. But I'm curious to know if the Wifi version is more reliable than the Hue version (which fails to turn off or on at least one random bulb about 1% of the time when I say "Hey Siri, turn on all the lights").
    darrylk1
  • Reply 5 of 7
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    No HomeKit? no thanks. But I'm curious to know if the Wifi version is more reliable than the Hue version (which fails to turn off or on at least one random bulb about 1% of the time when I say "Hey Siri, turn on all the lights").
    If your 1% failure rate is due to Zigbee/WiFi interference (in the 2.4 GHz band), then YES, these WiZ WiFi bulbs work better as they use your existing WiFi.

Zigbee has three frequency ranges, but the Philips Hue Bridge only supports one of these ranges, which happens to be the same frequencies as the 2.4 GHz WiFi band.

You could also configure your WiFi to use only the higher 5.8 GHz band (instead of the 2.4 GHz band), and that will allow the Bridge's signals to be alone at 2.4 GHz.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Called Hue. They say that the WiZ bulbs will work with the Hub/Zigbee system. This article says not compatible with HomeKit. Possible conflicts if you integrate these bulbs into a Zigbee environment?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    GG1 said:
    If your 1% failure rate is due to Zigbee/WiFi interference (in the 2.4 GHz band), then YES, these WiZ WiFi bulbs work better as they use your existing WiFi.

Zigbee has three frequency ranges, but the Philips Hue Bridge only supports one of these ranges, which happens to be the same frequencies as the 2.4 GHz WiFi band.

You could also configure your WiFi to use only the higher 5.8 GHz band (instead of the 2.4 GHz band), and that will allow the Bridge's signals to be alone at 2.4 GHz.
    Interesting advice. You definitely know something. But since I live in a large building (with 30 visible wifi signals) I don't think changing my WiFi would make any difference. I have no control over the other 28 wifi signals in my vicinity.

What I don't understand is why the Apple Home app can't "double check" that the bulb responded correctly to its command. Sure, the fault is not with Apple but Apple could still fix the problem by checking if the bulb changed. Some apps on the app store do this. Apple's Home app doesn't.